The musings of a suicidal Linux user

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hello, I'm an OpenSuse 12.2 user. :)

This is in no way meant as a review or an endorsement, but mealy the ramblings and sometime incoherent written thoughts of a "new person" to Linux. :)

I installed OS 12.2 a few days ago, then rage-quit 'cos it would not run a program I wanted. Other versions of Linux had no bother with running Boinc ... seems to be a trait with Linux.

You see, I have this system, an AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 3800 with 3 gig ram on a Asus GF4 motherboard touting a GF 8500 512 video card just laying around doing nothing, and, as I have recently re-joined the PCReview Crew II crunchin' team, I thought I should put it to good use.

After my rage-quite I installed Vista :lol: ... shut up at the back ... reinstalling OpenSuse was a far better idea. Visa asking me to update to SP1 for the umpteenth time was the last straw ... you can see I have a considerable amount of patents. :)

Installing OpenSuse is quite easy, pop the DVD in, install ... I'd already had a "live session" with a few Linux distros ... it's the prettiest.

I am very pleased at how far forward Linux in general has come, I have ventured onto the dark side before, and sad to say, had given up.

Suse installed the one thing I was dreading on doing, from past experience, among other things, and that was, the graphics drivers. :dance:

It was that only one out of the few distos I tried that did so ... a +1 in my book.

The past couple of days have been taking up, primarily, with me doing a lot of reading. So I been a bit slow to find out that ... I don't need to find, load and setup the main repositories, they already there. All hardware has been recognised and drivers installed out of the box. another +1 ... heck, I even dug out a reasonable set of speakers, well they helps to hear the warning sounds. :)

Going back to the repositories a minute, oh, they are the place where you get your packages and other software from, like drivers. There is a new way, well is new to me, that one can "install" the required links ... they have what's called "single-click installs" it's all the rage don't you know ... took me awhile to fine out it only works within the Firefox Browser and not my favorite Chrome. :( Still, I don't need the security offered by Chrome in Windows as I do in Linux. Wonder what AV program I'll choose. :)

Oh, and the reason I stumbled upon the 'single-click install' was I was trying to get another pet hate of Windows users moving to Linux working, and that is ... video play back. I can do everything else, heck I especially like the various music files choices one has and K3b copy software is second to non, but this propriety video playback crap is just a pain in the arse!

I only have this one music video, a copy, so I'm not sure if it's a recognised format or a real problem. Until I can find a 'real' DVD film/video, I'm not sure if it working or not, I have one somewhere, I think. :rolleyes:

oops, :blush: DVD Video playback is fine.

... time for coffee, Robo Cop anyone?

muckshifter

Reaction score
I 'ripped' this music video to hard drive, it plays ... :lol:

see screenshot ... :)

Attachments

• snapshot1.jpg
    snapshot1.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 3,121

muckshifter

Reaction score
installed Boinc via OpenSuse's add/remove software ... failed but I was hopeful, uninstalled it.

Went directly to Boinc downloads an got their proper version. I'm going to hold of on "installing" as it's gettin a wee bit pas me bed time.

Went and "installed" Skype via your link & instructions on that site ... it failed, not got the right password?

I hasten to add, I'm running OpenSuse 64 bit ... funny, I thought Linux was the leader in 64 bit OS & software. Keep hitting this "we only got it in 32bit" crap. :rolleyes:

TTFN

oft to me bed, been a good day tho'

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, Linux is a strange beast indeed. DO NOT believe all those who say 'it's easy' cos it isn't.

However, if you have some patience and are prepared to research (Read: use Google) and put a little time into it, then for the most part you can save yourself £80 or so by not buying Windows and still be able to do MOST stuff. Not all, I'm afraid, but most.

Reading through all the recent posts on Linux acitvity here on PCRUK what surprised me most was the difference we all had on trying to get different distros to run. Some did, some didn't, for all of us. And there was no common ground. How odd.

Around ten years ago, Mucks had a much faster internet connetion than me so he downloaded Mandrake, burnt a copy and posted it to me. Nice gesture, always apreciated that, but I never did get it to work.

Years later, I can make Mint work but it fails for Quad and Mucks.

Linux: Free, good when it works, anger-inducing when it doesn't.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Went and "installed" Skype via your link & instructions on that site ... it failed, not got the right password?

I hasten to add, I'm running OpenSuse 64 bit ... funny, I thought Linux was the leader in 64 bit OS & software. Keep hitting this "we only got it in 32bit" crap.
Skype & 64 bit (Linux) support... um.

Anyway: Were you a good boy and did this...
Code:
sudo zypper install libpulse0-32bit alsa-plugins-pulse-32bit
... before actually installing Skype?
Code:
zypper in skype-4.1.0.20-suse.i586.rpm
skype1.jpg

¡Ay, caramba! :fool:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
DO NOT believe all those who say 'it's easy' cos it isn't.
Linux is easy. There, I said it.

It is also fun.

:lol:
O Zeus, some say that thou wert born on the hills of Ida;
Others, O Zeus, say in Arcadia;
Did these or those, O Father lie? -- “Cretans are ever liars.”
Yea, a tomb, O Lord, for thee the Cretans builded;
But thou didst not die, for thou art for ever.
— Callimachus, Hymn I to Zeus
—Epimenides II aka Urmas of Knossos

muckshifter

Reaction score
yep.

I'm not a stranger to 'bashing' about in a terminal, nor afraid of it either, one can just reinstall. :)

I actually don't need Skype, got it on Windows, it was a joke so you could 'talk' me through setting up Boinc. :lol:

I will, however, learn more by doing it myself ... following written instructions I retain (copy-n-past) the information.

Shop day today ... oft out into the blizzard to get something to eat.

TTFN

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I don't know why but I have a feeling that the xx.04 version of Linux is way more stable than xx.10 variety. We all seem to be having issues albeit different ones. Could it be that xx.10 is the experimental version of the next stable xx.04 release, I am pretty sure it is.

I have been trying to get the new installation to work for me which is Ubuntu 12.10 it keeps popping up with different messages informing me that this has crashed or that has crashed, extremely frustrating. I am not even tinkering with anything, if I was I could take the blame for it but when I am simply trying to run the damn thing, why would it behave this way, I really dunno :mad:

I also tried Ubuntu One and I found out I had an account with them from 3 years ago and had almost 800+ MB of data stored there. The program was trying to sync files to the local folder. this was going on for last 8 hours and two folders were the issue. I went to the server and deleted the two folders, now all is OK and the program informs me I have 26.4 MB of data only :lol: By the way, Ubuntu One is a very unfriendly piece of crap and its interface is also very confusing, Dropbox interface is brilliant and very easy to use. Works across all platforms, syncs nicely with the server and is always trouble free.

I think I made a mess of my current installation by integrating the second desktop environment with kubuntu. I thought it would integrate well with Ubuntu as both are from same source but it is not the case. when additional desktop environment is installed it makes things very slow even though I am using one desktop at a time. Full Kubuntu desktop is having too much bloatware, most of it I would not be using anyway. I may have to go back to 12.04 but that would mean starting from scratch again :mad:

I just wasted my two weekly days off :wall:Now where is that stupid revolver? :cry:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Sir Quad,

Given your current place of domicile, and, given that this is a predominantly British forum, I have no choice but refer to Rule #5 of the Royal Notice titled "To the citizens of the United States of America from Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II":

You will learn to resolve personal issues without using guns, lawyers, or therapists. The fact that you need so many lawyers and therapists shows that you're not quite ready to be independent. Guns should only be used for shooting grouse. If you can't sort things out without suing someone or speaking to a therapist then you're not ready to shoot grouse.
:fool:

Maybe it would be better to open a new thread — titled, say, "Quad Goes Boom-buntu". I mean, to keep .rpms and .debs apart from each other.

It has been my experience that when it comes to "the buntu cycle", the x.10 releases following a LTE x.04 release (i.e. 6.10, 8.10, 10.10 and 12.10) have indeed been a bit "experimental". As things stand, my main system is running 11.10 (yeah... I am lazy.) It had worked flawlessy from day one (installed "vanilla" 64 bit Ubuntu, XFCE & Kubuntu desktops on top of it, using KDE 99.975 % of the time.) Will have to upgrade to 13.04 soon (or Mint or Debian, if need be.)

Is your "base install" Ubuntu or Kubuntu? (My assumption is that it is Ubuntu... and you have installed the "Kubuntu-desktop" meta package after the base install. Correct?

Error messages: are the crashing bits "system" or applications? Do you get them with all desktop environments? Also, given that the latest Mint also gave you a headache (as I read from another thread), have you searched for similar issues (e.g. "IBM Thinkpad <my model> Ubuntu 12.10")?

Next: have you tried "pure non-U-buntus"?
http://www.kubuntu.org/
http://xubuntu.org/
http://lubuntu.net/

Finally: looks like there are many options for KDE in Ubuntu's repos these days: LINKY

muckshifter

Reaction score
Have downloaded the 7.0.28 Linux x64 version of Boinc, installed into it's own directory and when invoked, it runs. :) The problem is, I cannot get the 'manager' to work, therefore, I cannot attach it to WCG

That was a bit of a strain on my brain. The install "instructions" on the Boinc website are a bit crap.

Half way done. :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
I installed Skype, but they seem to want money to use it?

Also, where is it?

ah, forget all that. :blush:

found it & logged in ... still not sure about the £0.00 ... not got that in Windows, and I know I can use it for free contacting my Skype friends.

Gonna need another headset ... or I could just walk the two paces to the Windows PC. :lol:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I installed Skype, but they seem to want money to use it?

What version did you download ? There is the normal muppet one and the one for business. The business one is the one that charges ( I think )
I have used it ever since it first came out and have never been charged :D

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
... just I see this £0.00 in top right corner.

The £/$/€ "thingy" is there in case you want to use Skype for phoning (if that is a verb) to landline/mobile phones. In that case you must buy & load whachamacall 'em "Skype credits". Dunno anything else about it — I "just" use Skype computer <—> computer.

@Sir Mucks: have you tested audio (in and out) in Skype? Things have improved over the years, so it should "just work". Wasn't so with early versions of Skype.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Looking at all the different experiences forum members are having with various distros I find it odd that some work fine for one person yet fail for another. How strange. Are Linux Distros fussy for hardware?

Makes me wonder.

Now I've upgraded the machine I use Linux on I'm going to try and install Suse again, I always liked Suse, despite them having cold feet about being media friendly out the box.

muckshifter

Reaction score
The £/$/€ "thingy" is there in case you want to use Skype for phoning (if that is a verb) to landline/mobile phones. In that case you must buy & load whachamacall 'em "Skype credits". Dunno anything else about it — I "just" use Skype computer <—> computer.

@Sir Mucks: have you tested audio (in and out) in Skype? Things have improved over the years, so it should "just work". Wasn't so with early versions of Skype.
yep, "test" everything ... it all works.

Still looking for a way to attach the Bonk Client to WCG ... just gonna go there now.

Floppy, one thing I have noticed, it's bloody quick. :dance:

Not something Suse or KDE were renowned for, they seem to have done a lot of work on that ... I think the praise should go to the KDE folks. :)

EDIT: one thing I would do if I eve need to reinstall would be to use the 32bit version ... not that I have had any problem with 64bit, just the times I keep comming up against, no 64 bit version of this, use 32 bit but don't blame us if it not work.

I have not yet had one crash!

muckshifter

Reaction score
muckshifter@linux-aoph:~> cd "/home/muckshifter/boinc/BOINC" && exec ./boinc $@
17-Jan-2013 20:59:31 [---] Starting BOINC client version 6.10.58 for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
17-Jan-2013 20:59:31 [---] log flags: file_xfer, sched_ops, task
17-Jan-2013 20:59:31 [---] Libraries: libcurl/7.18.0 OpenSSL/0.9.8g zlib/1.2.7 c-ares/1.5.1
17-Jan-2013 20:59:31 [---] Data directory: /home/muckshifter/boinc/BOINC
17-Jan-2013 20:59:31 [---] Processor: 2 AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ [Family 15 Model 43 Stepping 1]
17-Jan-2013 20:59:31 [---] Processor: 512.00 KB cache
17-Jan-2013 20:59:31 [---] Processor features: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good nopl pni lahf_lm cmp_legacy
17-Jan-2013 20:59:31 [---] OS: Linux: 3.4.11-2.16-desktop
17-Jan-2013 20:59:31 [---] Memory: 2.95 GB physical, 2.01 GB virtual
17-Jan-2013 20:59:31 [---] Disk: 161.72 GB total, 160.07 GB free
17-Jan-2013 20:59:31 [---] Local time is UTC +0 hours
17-Jan-2013 20:59:31 [---] No usable GPUs found
17-Jan-2013 20:59:31 [---] No general preferences found - using BOINC defaults
17-Jan-2013 20:59:31 [---] Preferences:
17-Jan-2013 20:59:31 [---] max memory usage when active: 1508.48MB
17-Jan-2013 20:59:31 [---] max memory usage when idle: 2715.26MB
17-Jan-2013 20:59:31 [---] max disk usage: 10.00GB
17-Jan-2013 20:59:31 [---] don't use GPU while active
17-Jan-2013 20:59:31 [---] suspend work if non-BOINC CPU load exceeds 25 %
17-Jan-2013 20:59:31 [---] (to change preferences, visit the web site of an attached project, or select Preferences in the Manager)
17-Jan-2013 20:59:31 [---] Not using a proxy
17-Jan-2013 20:59:31 [---] This computer is not attached to any projects
17-Jan-2013 20:59:31 [---] Visit http://boinc.berkeley.edu for instructions
Initialization completed
17-Jan-2013 21:00:52 [---] Suspending computation - CPU usage is too high
17-Jan-2013 21:01:02 [---] Resuming computation
cd "/home/muckshifter/boinc/BOINC" && exec ./boincmgr $@

reinstalled Bonkit from WCG ... no manager pops up, so still cannot attach to project. :(

Ask a Question