The most simple of features, still missing in Windows :(

The Old Man

Windows XP is an amazing and feature laden bit of programming but I still
can't believe after all these years Microsoft have yet to build in an Alarm
Clock feature. It's such a simple thing. I wish they would.

So many times I have to go and find my mobile phone or something else to use
the built in alarm to remind me to stop working or surfing or gaming on my
PC and for example go to work or something!

I have tried many shareware solutions for alarm clocks but all are over
complicated or don't cut in when playing games but run in the background so
they are seen when the gaming session has finished.

Does anyone have a recommended alarm clock software solution?

Regards,
Graham.

Phil

Windows does have an "alarm clock" feature and has since at least win95.
It's called scheduled tasks. You can schedule almost anything you want, you
can even set sound effects to play at certain times, just like an alarm
clock would play a sound to alert you.
Start, all programs, accessories, system tools, scheduled tasks.

Steve N.

Jim said:
I've got a Radio Shack Micronta sitting on the top of my monitor

It even works when the computer is turned off.

LOL! Right on! Some people want their computer to literally do
EVERYTHING for them!

Steve

Phil

Steve said:
LOL! Right on! Some people want their computer to literally do
EVERYTHING for them!

Steve

Isn't that what the computer is for. To make your lives easier? To do
day-to-day tasks for us? The system I'm setting up in my new house will do
almost everything. It will turn things on and off for me, alert me, video
surveillance and more. Depending on cost I'd love for it to be voice
activated as well, but well see. My computer is like my own personal
servant. If only if could cook and clean for me, I'd be set. ;o)

Jim Macklin

I do like my digital camera. Photoshop Elements 2.0 allowed
changing from a 1 MB picture to 9 KB in just one step that
took less than a minute to take the picture, load it to the
computer, edit it for the web (resized to 320x200, format as
jpeg with a medium res, strip the exif data) and send it in
the reply.

Jim Glad you liked my humor. If you want to see a really
funny movie, go see THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW. It is so full
of holes, but it does have a few lines they meant to be
funny. Like burning the tax law books to keep warm in the
library.
If you do see it, look at the graphic of the Atlantic Ocean
during a conference. It has the Gulf Stream flowing the
wrong direction.

| Jim Macklin wrote:
| > I've got a Radio Shack Micronta sitting on the top of my
monitor

| > It even works when the computer is turned off.
|
| LOL! Right on! Some people want their computer to
literally do
| EVERYTHING for them!
|
| Steve
|

| > --
| >

| > "The Old Man" <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>
wrote in message

| > | Windows XP is an amazing and feature laden bit of
programming but I still
| > | can't believe after all these years Microsoft have yet
to build in an
| > Alarm
| > | Clock feature. It's such a simple thing. I wish they
would.
| > |
| > | So many times I have to go and find my mobile phone or
something else
| > to use
| > | the built in alarm to remind me to stop working or
surfing or gaming on my
| > | PC and for example go to work or something!
| > |
| > | I have tried many shareware solutions for alarm clocks
but all are over
| > | complicated or don't cut in when playing games but run
in the
| > background so
| > | they are seen when the gaming session has finished.
| > |
| > | Does anyone have a recommended alarm clock software
solution?
| > |
| > | Regards,
| > | Graham.
| > |
| > |

Jim Macklin

Do you have a 1,000 gallon fuel tank and a 25,000 Watt
generator so it can always be on-line? You also need a big
UPS to start the generator and keep everything working until
the generator gets up to speed, which usually takes 5-10
minutes.

Airplanes now have "glass cockpits" with GPS, moving maps,
airport and airway directories, engine monitors. But a nice
paper chart (map) and a watch are the basic tools of
navigation.

Sound like a nice house.

| Steve N. wrote:
| > Jim Macklin wrote:
| >> I've got a Radio Shack Micronta sitting on the top of
my monitor

| >> It even works when the computer is turned off.
| >
| > LOL! Right on! Some people want their computer to
literally do
| > EVERYTHING for them!
| >
| > Steve
|
| Isn't that what the computer is for. To make your lives
easier? To do
| day-to-day tasks for us? The system I'm setting up in my
new house will do
| almost everything. It will turn things on and off for me,
alert me, video
| surveillance and more. Depending on cost I'd love for it
to be voice
| activated as well, but well see. My computer is like my
own personal
| servant. If only if could cook and clean for me, I'd be
set. ;o)

| >> --
| >> The people think the Constitution protects their
rights;
| >> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.

programming but I
have yet to
thing. I wish

| >> to use
surfing or
something!

but run in the
| >> background so

solution?

Jim Macklin

That's what girl friends are for. When you marry them, some
functions cease to work, just like Windows.

"Peter" <r2d2 at cesmail dot net> wrote in message
| Well guys, it could at least make the coffee....LOL
|
| > Jim Macklin wrote:
| > > I've got a Radio Shack Micronta sitting on the top of
my monitor

| > > It even works when the computer is turned off.
| >
| > LOL! Right on! Some people want their computer to
literally do
| > EVERYTHING for them!
| >
| > Steve
| >

| > > --
| > > The people think the Constitution protects their
rights;
| > > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.

programming but I
| still
yet to build in an
| > > Alarm
would.
| > > |
or something else
| > > to use
surfing or gaming
| on my
| > > |
clocks but all are
| over
run in the
| > > background so
| > > |
solution?
| > > |
| > > |
| > > |

Phil

Lol - ya down side is if your power goes out you're in trouble. I do have a
generator and we wired it directly into the electrical panel, so it runs
just about anything I need during a storm/power outage on gas, but only
lasts a few hours without putting more gas in. All the automated computer
stuff I'm wiring and setting up myself. It's basicly a system that lets the
computer control power strips so you can use the computer to turn things on
and off. Also has a x-10 video camera system setup as well. Not all things
work with this system, but its still cool.

Joh N.

Steve N., after spending 3 minutes figuring out which end of the pen touse,
wrote:
LOL! Right on! Some people want their computer to literally do
EVERYTHING for them!

Fùcking idiot. What the hell is "everything" anyway? It's *supposed* to make a
hell of a *lot* of things easier for people. If one looks hard enough, it can
even be used to control household items like lights and such to even acting as
a home security system and monitor movements/children. So yes, there *should*
be a simple alarm clock, *not* task manager, since it is *not* so easy for Joe
User to figure out.
Now, FOAD in an extremely horrible way.

Joh N.

Joh N.

The Old Man, after spending 3 minutes figuring out which end of the pen to use,
wrote:
Windows XP is an amazing and feature laden bit of programming but I still
can't believe after all these years Microsoft have yet to build in an Alarm
Clock feature. It's such a simple thing. I wish they would.

So many times I have to go and find my mobile phone or something else to use
the built in alarm to remind me to stop working or surfing or gaming on my
PC and for example go to work or something!

I have tried many shareware solutions for alarm clocks but all are over
complicated or don't cut in when playing games but run in the background so
they are seen when the gaming session has finished.

Does anyone have a recommended alarm clock software solution?

Regards,
Graham.

Hey Graham,

Ignore the replies of those idiots, they're stroking each others egos because
they aren't close enough physically to have a circle jerk.
Back when I used M$, I found this app in '97 or '98 IIRR. It's extremely
simple to use and works (hopefully XPee won't screw up even a simple app like
this). It comes with its own .wav file which is a recording of the authors
voice telling you to "Wake up ya lazy bum, get outta bed" or something like
that. Go to the link and download it and try it out.

<http://www.kabsoftware.com/wakeup.htm>

Joh N.

Jim Macklin

Do you have an electric can opener? A manual backup is
useful for survival when the food is canned and the power is
out.

| Lol - ya down side is if your power goes out you're in
trouble. I do have a
| generator and we wired it directly into the electrical
panel, so it runs
| just about anything I need during a storm/power outage on
gas, but only
| lasts a few hours without putting more gas in. All the
automated computer
| stuff I'm wiring and setting up myself. It's basicly a
system that lets the
| computer control power strips so you can use the computer
to turn things on
| and off. Also has a x-10 video camera system setup as
well. Not all things
| work with this system, but its still cool.
|
| Jim Macklin wrote:
| > Do you have a 1,000 gallon fuel tank and a 25,000 Watt
| > generator so it can always be on-line? You also need a
big
| > UPS to start the generator and keep everything working
until
| > the generator gets up to speed, which usually takes 5-10
| > minutes.
| >
| > Airplanes now have "glass cockpits" with GPS, moving
maps,
| > airport and airway directories, engine monitors. But a
nice
| > paper chart (map) and a watch are the basic tools of
| > navigation.
| >
| > Sound like a nice house.

literally do

| >> Isn't that what the computer is for. To make your lives
easier? To do
| >> day-to-day tasks for us? The system I'm setting up in
my new house
| >> will do almost everything. It will turn things on and
off for me,
| >> alert me, video surveillance and more. Depending on
cost I'd love
| >> for it to be voice activated as well, but well see. My
computer is
| >> like my own personal servant. If only if could cook and
clean for
| >> me, I'd be set. ;o)

rights;

programming but
Microsoft have yet to
thing. I wish

or something
surfing or
something!

clocks but all are
but run in
session has

solution?

Jim Macklin

I liked this one too.

| ROFLMAO
|
| Jim Macklin wrote:
| > That's what girl friends are for. When you marry them,
some
| > functions cease to work, just like Windows.

literally do

rights;

programming but
Microsoft have yet to
thing. I wish

or something
working or
work or

clocks but all
games but run
session has

solution?

Jim Macklin

Kurt, you're alter-ego is showing.

wrote:
LOL! Right on! Some people want their computer to literally do
EVERYTHING for them!

Fùcking idiot. What the hell is "everything" anyway? It's
*supposed* to make a
hell of a *lot* of things easier for people. If one looks
hard enough, it can
even be used to control household items like lights and such
to even acting as
a home security system and monitor movements/children. So
yes, there *should*
be a simple alarm clock, *not* task manager, since it is
*not* so easy for Joe
User to figure out.
Now, FOAD in an extremely horrible way.

Joh N.

Phil

Actually my electric can opener broke a few months ago and I never replaced
it so I use the manual one now. At least I'll be able to eat uncooked canned
food when the power goes out - lol. :blush:)

NobodyMan

Do you have a 1,000 gallon fuel tank and a 25,000 Watt
generator so it can always be on-line? You also need a big
UPS to start the generator and keep everything working until
the generator gets up to speed, which usually takes 5-10
minutes.

??
I work in a building that has generator backup. If commercial power
fails, the generators automatically kick on and supply power within
two to three seconds.

Where do you get the 5 to 10 minutes data? Hospitals certainly don't
wait that long.

And no, we don't run on batteries until the generator is up to speed.

Jim Macklin

Beans, tuna, fruit, even bread comes in cans. And don't
forget water and beer, but you'll want a church-key for
that.

| Actually my electric can opener broke a few months ago and
I never replaced
| it so I use the manual one now. At least I'll be able to
eat uncooked canned
| food when the power goes out - lol. :blush:)
|
| Jim Macklin wrote:
| > Do you have an electric can opener? A manual backup is
| > useful for survival when the food is canned and the
power is
| > out.

| >> have a generator and we wired it directly into the
electrical panel,
| >> so it runs just about anything I need during a
storm/power outage on
| >> gas, but only lasts a few hours without putting more
gas in. All the
| >> automated computer stuff I'm wiring and setting up
myself. It's
| >> basicly a system that lets the computer control power
strips so you
| >> can use the computer to turn things on and off. Also
has a x-10
| >> video camera system setup as well. Not all things work
with this
| >> system, but its still cool.

a big
5-10

maps,
a nice

of my monitor

literally do

lives easier? To
on and off
Depending on cost
well see. My
could cook

rights;
overcome.

programming
Microsoft have
a simple

phone or something
something!

clocks but all
games but run

software solution?

Jim Macklin

Then delete it.

| On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 08:07:06 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
|

| Don't upload binaries into a text newsgroup. I didn't
want your