The great PS3 rip-off

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
The great PS3 rip-off: are Brits being fleeced?

dap("&PG=UK9PFR&AP=1089",300,250);by Nic Cicutti, exclusive to MSN Money
March 22 2007
Clutching a sleeping bag and a handful of chocolate bars, 17-year-old Rihatsu Thomas pitched camp outside Virgin Megastore on London’s Oxford Street early on Wednesday morning, desperate to be among the first gamers to get his hands on Sony’s latest console, the Playstation 3.

He shouldn’t have any problems: a full 24 hours after he arrived, he was still the only person in the queue. “I thought there would be more people here,” he said. “I hope some more people come soon.”

Sony’s new console goes on sale on Friday across the UK and stores have reported disappointing pre-sales. Whereas console launches in the past have seen thousands of gamers descend on shops on launch day, the PS3 has arrived with little more than a whimper.

Reviews of the new console have been mixed. However, the number one reason keeping gamers away from the shops does not seem to be concern about the PS3’s performance or games line-up, but it’s hefty price tag.

Sony’s super-console has a recommended retail price of £425 – and that’s just for the console and a single controller. If you fancy buying a couple of games, a memory card and an additional controller, the whole package is likely to set you back around £550.

The Japanese gaming giant has been slammed for the high price of its new console, but British gamers have greater cause than most to feel aggrieved: the price of a 60 GB model PS3 in the UK is £115 more expensive than in the US, £164 dearer than in Japan and a massive £180 costlier than in Hong Kong.

Add to this the fact that, unlike the Asian and US models, UK PS3s will not be completely backwards compatible with previous Playstation and Playstation 2 games and it’s not difficult to see why gamers are keeping their money firmly in their pockets

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I'm not surprised at the apathy at that price - you'd be better off spending the £500 on a PC or upgrading your GPU :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I would rather buy a 8800GTX for the money.... ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Sony can ** **** ** * *** **** :D

I'm still boycotting them over their rootkit on audio CD's thingie, faulty lap top batteries, etc etc.

IF I were going to go for a console I'd go for an X Box 360.

Might even consider an original X Box, they're dead cheap used and you can get loads of games for a fiver now.

Reaction score
So the PS3 is out now in the uk.

How many people have got them?

Any review here.

So at 425 pounds we get the ps3 and no games with it.

Over price crap when you can get the x-box 360 at 270.

They did it with there psp handheld which in fact was a poor handheld and a crap dvd player.

It,s sad people are getting the PS3.

Have sony aim this console at rich or something?

Two words for sony **** you.

I really hope this console flops at this price.

Last edited:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
More us the fools who give in again and give the greedy B*s*ards the fat wad they sooooo dooooo NOT deserve ...

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
i think the PS3 is a dandy console.

except there are no good games.... and.... im not mad enough to spend that much on a console :D

Reaction score
I saw something about the ps3 on bbc news 1 or 2 days ago.

Nothing really that special.

I wonder what the benchmark is for it...

Ask a Question