The Future of 3D TV

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The BBC have an interesting article covering the future of TV, estimating that by 2012 there will be 12 billion devices capable of watching 500 billion hours of TV and video content. They also mention that there will be 3D TV sets making their debut as early as next year:

"Big manufacturers such as Sony and Panasonic have announced plans to release 3D TV sets in 2010, while Samsung and Mitsubishi have recently released their products.

Speaking in early September at the IFA consumer electronics show in Berlin, Howard Stringer, Sony's chief executive, said: "3D is clearly on the way to the mass market. The train is on the track and Sony is ready to drive it home."

Analyst firm Screen Digest forecasts 1.2 million 3D capable sets in American homes by the end of 2010. That figure is expected to rise to 9.7 million, or 8% of households, by 2013. "

Read more from the BBC here.

Related links:
3D TV 'to get Sony backing'
3D TV Forums
3D TV Wikipedia Article

Attachments

• 3dtv.jpg
    3dtv.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 1,162
Reaction score
Well lets hope TV manufacturers keep to making TV's that broadcast normal 2D movies aswell as 3D. As me only having site in one eye watching anything in 3D kinda screws me. I see nothing but an out of focus distorted picture....

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah I'm sure they'll be in 2D aswell, it's technically only a stereo image rather than 3D - so even if something was only broadcast in stereo there would be a way to change it to use one channel.

Ask a Question