the computer keyboard broken (software side I think )

S

Steve Miller

Hi, I’m Steve how are you?

Being on a computer running windows xp and a German keyboard and keyboard layout bears some trouble, inherently.

Well, I have this thing going. The caret key and the accent key seem to be broken. I don’t think it is being hardware related. But, something software side might be corrupted.

By clicking shift+caret, on my keyboard, the computer will print the degreesymbol (° ), which is working properly, however. This was correct. It should do so. Only, by clicking the caret key it will print ^^. How bad this was.

The accent key does, in both ways, meaning, to click the accent key only orto click shift+accent key the same false thing. It prints ´´ or ``. This but was false. It should not print anything, but be waiting for further input. So what is broken. I had this behavior before but it went away, after a reboot of the computer. This time it seems it is being bound to stay.

My guess was, that a corrupted regions and language profile was the culprit.. It would be nice if anyone could come up with a clue to leave it on the net. I found lots and lots of postings about this but no clue. It was good even if there were advices like “ Just reboot, it will be ok afterwards.” or something. I didn’t find any such instruction and kept on searching for hours.

edit:
By now I deleted and renewed the regions and language profile and tried an Austrian German and Switzerland German one. It did not work. All the same.

Steve

D

Don Phillipson

. . . The caret key and the accent key seem to be broken. I don’t think it
is being hardware related.

This is easily verified. Just swap in another keyboard and test.
You can also find via Internet the correct key codes for your configuration
and test the output of the malfunctioning KB.
I deleted and renewed the regions and language profile and tried an
Austrian German and Switzerland German one.
It did not work. All the same.

This hints the error is in hardware (the KB.). Repost here after you have
tested with another KB.

S

Steve Miller

Hello, thank you for your reply. This is being an usb keyboard. I don't own a second usb one, to test the hardware.

But, the caret is working properly while I do a shift click. Therefore this key won't be broken, will it?

Steve

D

Don Phillipson

Hello, thank you for your reply. This is being an usb keyboard. I don't
own a second usb one, to test the hardware.

But, the caret is working properly while I do a shift click. Therefore
this key won't be broken, will it?

As posted, get a list of the correct keycodes (probably a subset of
ANSI) and get test software to display the keycode output of each
key. A discrepancy suggests a hardware fault.

S

Steve Miller

Hi,

I cleaned the kb. I got lots of dirt off of it. It was like a carpet below every key. Unbelievable how it builds.

By now, the kb thinks that it is being a laptop. This was it. I might have pressed some strange combo to activate this. Could it be?

Steve

D

Don Phillipson

By now, the kb thinks that it is being a laptop. This was it. I might have
pressed some strange combo
to activate this. Could it be?

Only the KB hardware manual can tell you this.

S

Steve Miller

It rather might think that it is being a Japanese kb layout 106 keys. Something like that. What a thingy.

How do I convince it? It was not!

Steve

Ask a Question