The Camera Noob!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
If you paid below £400, I would consider it to be a good deal ;)

Reaction score
Quadophile said:
If you paid below £400, I would consider it to be a good deal ;)

I paid $250 Canadian not sure what that is converted. Do you know anything about this taht could help me out?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
That price cannot be for a brand new unit, must be second hand. The current price for a brand new unit is around US$ 650. The unit when introduced in 2004 was selling brand new at a list price of US $999.

What do you want to know about this camera? If you can ask specific questions I will try to answer them for you :)

Reaction score
Quadophile said:
That price cannot be for a brand new unit, must be second hand. The current price for a brand new unit is around US$ 650. The unit when introduced in 2004 was selling brand new at a list price of US $999.

What do you want to know about this camera? If you can ask specific questions I will try to answer them for you :)

It was stated that it is a new unit but it does not come with anything like strap, software.....etc. I really do not know much about cameras thats why I joined this site. My old camera is/was a Olympus 725 Ultra zoom but the pixels were just not cutting it for me. I take alot of pictures at hockey games and wanted to print the pics out to get players to sign them but I lost ALOT of quality when the were even just blown up to a 5 X 7. I work for a charity committee and the idea of getting then players to sign the pics was so they could be auctioned off at our annual golf tournament but I am not happy with the prints I have with my old camera. I know the pixels I will have now will increase the quality of the pics but will going from 8X Optical zoom to a 7X Optical zoom really hurt my zoom quality? I really don't have many questions because I am very new at this I was just wondering what level is my new camera at? Is it good for sports pics? The one thing I absolutly love about my new camera is the fact that I can buy zoom attachments for my camera and I can continue to improve it's quality by doing so. With the Olympus I was trapped with what I had. Honestly any comments will help me out a great deal. And remember I am new and do not understand the technical jargon that is usually used in reviews so if you can keep it as simple as possible I would really appreciate it. Thank you.:thumb:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
crowncarrier said:
It was stated that it is a new unit but it does not come with anything like strap, software.....etc. I really do not know much about cameras thats why I joined this site. My old camera is/was a Olympus 725 Ultra zoom but the pixels were just not cutting it for me. I take alot of pictures at hockey games and wanted to print the pics out to get players to sign them but I lost ALOT of quality when the were even just blown up to a 5 X 7. I work for a charity committee and the idea of getting then players to sign the pics was so they could be auctioned off at our annual golf tournament but I am not happy with the prints I have with my old camera. I know the pixels I will have now will increase the quality of the pics but will going from 8X Optical zoom to a 7X Optical zoom really hurt my zoom quality? I really don't have many questions because I am very new at this I was just wondering what level is my new camera at? Is it good for sports pics? The one thing I absolutly love about my new camera is the fact that I can buy zoom attachments for my camera and I can continue to improve it's quality by doing so. With the Olympus I was trapped with what I had. Honestly any comments will help me out a great deal. And remember I am new and do not understand the technical jargon that is usually used in reviews so if you can keep it as simple as possible I would really appreciate it. Thank you.:thumb:

I had a tough time reading your post, in future please split it into sentences/paragraphs for better readability ;)

I am not sure why your Olympus could not manage a decent 5 x 7 at 3 MP, it should have with decent images, unless it developed some fault. The camera you have now is a very good one in the sense that it will take pictures in full auto mode and it also has more than enough to offer in terms of creative photography because of the fact that most of it can be used in manual mode. A camera which can do both is ideal for someone who is starting out. You can gradually understand the system and put it to use.

I can very well understand where you are coming from so do not worry we are here to help everyone irrespective of how much they know or don't know.

Realising that you are starting out I decided to do a bit of research myself and try to guide you in a way that you start to feel comfortable using the camera.

Lets start with something which deals with your specific model:

1) Check out this particular review which is very comprehensive and will give you a very good idea of your camera. It is lengthy but a good read. Canon Pro1

2) After you have gone through the review you can browse the exclusive forum for your camera where you will come across many tips and tricks that you will find useful. Do not be in a hurry to ask questions on the forum, the likelyhood of information you are looking for is most probably posted there which you should be able to find it by doing a bit of search. I hope this link will prove to be the best option for you to gather information on your camera and how best to use it. Canon Pro1 Forum

I hope you will not get lost in the Canon Forum and forget us here at PC Review :)

Come back for more discussions so that I know you actually benefited.

Happy Shooting! :thumb:

Ask a Question