The Camera Noob!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Yes there is a possibility that you can get a better less fashionable camera which could be better in terms of avilable controls and flexibility in use. The problem is that this kind of camera would not be listed on the websites of online sellers who basically try to promote newer models.

What could be possible for you to do is to go to some camera shops and find out if they have a better spec older model which is a bit bulky say a 3 year old model with a 4 megapixel sensor. Some of the Olympus models are certainly a possibility. I would say that you concentrate on an Olympus and find out what is available and if it is within your budget. You can post a message here and we will try our best to guide you if it is a good deal.

Hope this helps.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, I agree with what Quad said.

Going by all you've said here, I don't think you'd be happy with the Coolpix 5600, it really is quite tiny and as I mentioned previously, it does take time when using flash for the next shot to be ready.

I do prefer my Canon A80 over the Nikon, it's twice the size, takes 4 AA cells rather than two, has manual override, more features and I can change the lens. It is only 4mp though. But it's not made anymore.

Perhaps consider the Canon A610? It seems to suit your needs/wants more but at £185.00 it doesn't leave much for a memory card/case/batts/charger. This model is the replacement for my (now rather old) A80.

A610 link

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Seems like I'm joining this discussion a little late, but for what it's worth .....

I have got a Fuji F810 and I have found it to be a really great all-rounder. I had problems of shutter-lag with my Pentax Optio, but the Fuji is much faster. I've used it to motorsports without any problem. It's got widescreen facilities for panoramic and easily adjustable resolution, up to 6M.

Not sure on current prices etc but just thought I would add my two-peneth!;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Leading on from Quad's sugestion ... my local high street Jessops have a 6mp 12 opt-zoom DSLR for under £200 ... it is NOT listed on their website.

Sorry, I think it was called a Muse ??? not sure on that ... anyway, the 'sale' ends soon. ;)

Reaction score
If your looking for a camera that will get you good pic for your site at an affordable price try the one I have Olympus C-725 Ultra Zoom. That 5600 will probably be no good to you with it's limited Optical Zoom. The camera you mentioned in the first post to this thread is a camera that I'm looking into aswell. I want to be able to blow up my pics to 8X !0 and with the camera I have now they will come out pixelated. But just for pics on a site I would recommend mine. If you want to see some of my pics then PM and I'll send you some examples with a shot of where about I sit. Now back to the camera that you and I are interested in. I was looking at some info that I'm not sure what it means:
Max. Resolution up to 10.0 MP
5.36 Mega Pixel Panasonic CCD
Now......does the camera come with only 5.36 MP and can have the resolution of 10.0. Does this mean you can have 10? Do you need to buy attachments?

Last edited:

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Leading on from Quad's sugestion ... my local high street Jessops have a 6mp 12 opt-zoom DSLR for under £200 ... it is NOT listed on their website.

Sorry, I think it was called a Muse ??? not sure on that ... anyway, the 'sale' ends soon. ;)

No good, all sold out!
Back to the drawing board!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Not suggesting any of the following but I also started from scratch trying to find something for you. Following are just suggestions and by no means they are perfect, compromised, yes, but some options you can investigae further.They are however all within budget :D

[font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1][size=+1]Kodak EasyShare Z740[/size][/size][/font]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...42469/sr=1-6/ref=sr_1_2_6/026-4482120-7382817

[font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1][size=+1]Kodak EasyShare DX6490[/size][/size][/font]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...076/sr=1-68/ref=sr_1_2_68/026-4482120-7382817

[font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1][size=+1]Konica Minolta Dimage Z3[/size][/size][/font]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...649/sr=1-93/ref=sr_1_2_93/026-4482120-7382817

[font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1][size=+1]Fuji Finepix s5500[/size][/size][/font]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00062T3QO/ref=ed_cp__19_2/026-4482120-7382817

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
Looks like I'm going for the Kodak Easyshare Z740. Seen one for £155.

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
Read a couple of good reviews, full manual adjustment of shutter speed, and a good price.

Fingers crossed!

Reaction score
crowncarrier said:
If your looking for a camera that will get you good pic for your site at an affordable price try the one I have Olympus C-725 Ultra Zoom. That 5600 will probably be no good to you with it's limited Optical Zoom. The camera you mentioned in the first post to this thread is a camera that I'm looking into aswell. I want to be able to blow up my pics to 8X !0 and with the camera I have now they will come out pixelated. But just for pics on a site I would recommend mine. If you want to see some of my pics then PM and I'll send you some examples with a shot of where about I sit. Now back to the camera that you and I are interested in. I was looking at some info that I'm not sure what it means:
Max. Resolution up to 10.0 MP
5.36 Mega Pixel Panasonic CCD
Now......does the camera come with only 5.36 MP and can have the resolution of 10.0. Does this mean you can have 10? Do you need to buy attachments?

So does anyone know what the megxon has is it infact 10 MP. I just want to be sure before I buy.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
crowncarrier,

Never heard of this brand and I do not have a link to check it out.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Stay away from the camera on Ebay! It should prove to be useless junk for whoever buys it.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
A Praktica eh?

I remember years ago Praktica always made budget models, they were at the low end of the scale for SLR's.

The bdies were good but the lens was a bit naff so lots of people used to buy Praktica bodies and stick Pentax lenses on them.

I've no idea what they're like now.

I was surprised to see those Kodak camera models actually offered good spec for the price, or at least on paper. Of course I've no idea of the lens quality.

Kodak is a brand name I wouldn't have previously considered, them being associated with Instamatics and the like. Interesting.

Reaction score
What is the best point and shoot digital camera for between £90 and £120 that you can buy?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
What is the best point and shoot digital camera for between £90 and £120 that you can buy?

I'm tempted to say none of them ;) but I really don't have a clue.

I thought for £132.00 the Nikon Coolpix 5600 is probably the best 'entry level' camera there is.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I had a feeling that getting a camera with 10MP and 8X Optical zoom for $320 US was too good to be true. I think I will be up grading to a Cannon Powershot S2 SI.

Ask a Question