the annoying windows xp error code 39!!!!

Reaction score
hi,
i tried to install a wifi dongle, but got an error 39 when i installed the drivers. i tried EVERYTHING any forum has told me to do, and yet nothing.
if this helps, i tried earlier in the year, to install an ethernet card, which also failed with error code 39. all of the network adapters seem to be getting an error code 39.

i am running windows xp SP2, and have tried both devices on other windows pc’s, and they work great.

i’ve updated chipset, bios, even done things on regedit, no luck.

any advice to fix this annoying error would be VERY MUCH GREATLY appreciated.

cheers

ps. i have formatted, reformatted, and did it again. i've tried doing vague things on regedit, which resulted in the system not recognizing ANY net adapters. now i am back on ground zero with this. please please reply!!

Reaction score
oh, i thought i'd just add, it was a pre manufactured computer, and someone was throwing it out.
so since then, the hard drive has changed (i think it was FAT32 40GB to run windows ME) to NFTS 80GB(XP SP2)
but as i've said, i've done numerous formats, and im exhausted on any other ideas as to solutions..

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It looks as if the machine you're using is quite old and may be having problems recognising/using the components you're trying to use.

From what you've said, these components are not faulty so it's obviously a problem with the computer's hardware, it's motherboard and associated componets.

You've also updated the BIOS so I really am at a loss.

Have you gone through the BIOS and satisfied yourself that every setting is correct?

If so, in view of what you've said, I honestly don't think the dongle is going to work with that thrown out manufactured computer (Dell? Compaq?).

I do hope I'm wrong but I'm not optimistic.

Reaction score
FBS is correct. As it is OLD like me:D No worky correct.

Code 39

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
Recommended resolution

Reasons for this error include a driver that is not present; a binary file that is corrupted; a file I/O problem, or a driver that references an entry point in another binary file that could not be loaded.

Uninstall the driver, and then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall or upgrade the driver.

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard.
:thumb:

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
It looks as if the machine you're using is quite old and may be having problems recognising/using the components you're trying to use.

From what you've said, these components are not faulty so it's obviously a problem with the computer's hardware, it's motherboard and associated componets.

You've also updated the BIOS so I really am at a loss.

Have you gone through the BIOS and satisfied yourself that every setting is correct?

If so, in view of what you've said, I honestly don't think the dongle is going to work with that thrown out manufactured computer (Dell? Compaq?).

I do hope I'm wrong but I'm not optimistic.

thanks for the replies
hi, it isn't that old, not old enough for components to not work, as other ones work completely fine.
and before i got it, there was a network card on it (factory) but the previous owner obviously needed/wanted that, so they took it out. and then no other network adapters, and network adapters only, have been working on this pc.

itsme said:
Reasons for this error include a driver that is not present; a binary file that is corrupted; a file I/O problem, or a driver that references an entry point in another binary file that could not be loaded.

what is this binary or I/O thing? it sounds related, maybe i should fiddle with that? how do i get to it?

(i've uninstalled and done the lot,)

what are the odds of pc world pc clinic being able to fix it? the people in the clinic in my area don't seem to very competant, and they failed to fix 2 of my previous problems..

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
PC World clinic are generally incompetent and over priced. Your last words confirm this.

And did you check the BIOS settings?

And what type of port does the dongle plug into?

Reaction score
what is this binary or I/O thing? it sounds related, maybe i should fiddle with that? how do i get to it?
Input output.

(i've uninstalled and done the lot,)
What you mean! the OS?

what are the odds of pc world pc clinic being able to fix it? the people in the clinic in my area don't seem to very competant

About 1 in 1000:D

There are quite a number of us on this forum who could fix it but not being able to see it in front of them it is quite difficult. Glad you have sorted it:thumb:

Reaction score
this is what ms says "Code 39 Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
Recommended resolution

Uninstall the driver, and then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall or upgrade the driver.

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard. "

other searches make reference to registry errors but I do not think these are related to you.

Reaction score
hollydolly said:

could someone please explain this binary thing please? it is not the driver nor the registry, as i have formatted my computer several times, and also, the driver works on other computers.

but binary file... hmm sounds interesting.. any tips?
cheers

Reaction score
cheers, ill give that a try :)
in the mean time, any other suggestions will be VERY grateful for

Reaction score
Answer these.
Do you have an authentic full version of the OS or is it a recovery CD.
Is it XP?

What size H D Drive do you have?

What happens when you install the drivers for the W-F? Is it on a CD or Floppy drive?

What W-F is it?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Have a look at this Download it it`s free and scan for drivers you will then [after reading how to] find the driver/s you require;)

Reaction score
itsme said:
Answer these.
Do you have an authentic full version of the OS or is it a recovery CD.
Is it XP?

What size H D Drive do you have?

What happens when you install the drivers for the W-F? Is it on a CD or Floppy drive?

What W-F is it?

it's an authentic full XP OS.
80GB hard 7200RPM currently not partitioned to anything else but the 80GB NTFS allocated for the OS
the drivers are on CD, but there isn't a problem with the drivers.

(in the email i got notifying that you replied to me, on the message, it that you said something about the GC being installed on the PCI? - interesting, because i actually upgraded graphic cards - to play cs :rolleyes:, i might try to remove that and see if that was the bugger :D )

i promise to input a lot of feedback and support into this community once i get a computer science degree, hopefully from imperial :D:D:D

Reaction score
i think i may be onto something :YAY:

i remembered, last time, when i slotted in my Graphics Card, the USB's didn't work.... :s:

no im treating that as the prime suspect :evil:

Reaction score
unikq said:
it's an authentic full XP OS.
80GB hard 7200RPM currently not partitioned to anything else but the 80GB NTFS allocated for the OS
the drivers are on CD, but there isn't a problem with the drivers.

(in the email i got notifying that you replied to me, on the message, it that you said something about the GC being installed on the PCI? - interesting, because i actually upgraded graphic cards - to play cs :rolleyes:, i might try to remove that and see if that was the bugger :D )

i promise to input a lot of feedback and support into this community once i get a computer science degree, hopefully from imperial :D:D:D

Yes I altered the post as it was W-F you were on about.
Maybe I reached your inner memory:lol:

Ask a Question