Text view jumps to top when composing email in Outlook 2007

alpha788

yjr Frequently the text view jumps to the top when composing or repying to
email in Outlook 2007. A search of the forums indicate that others have the
same problem but there does not appear to be a fix.

Has anyone found a solutuon to the problem?

Thanks!

Stan

Roady [MVP]

What exactly do you mean?
You are saying that while typing suddenly the cursor jumps to the top again
and you continue to type there?
Are you working on a laptop perhaps?
Does it still happen when you work with Outlook in Safe Mode?
Start-> Run; outlook.exe /safe

alpha788

Hi,

I am using a desktop (HP), and I am having the same problem as the following
user:

"When I am composing an email the view often jumps to the top of the email
text even though the cursor remains at the bottom. This means that if the
text is very long I have to scroll down the page to continue to see what I am
typing. I do not see that it is related to any particular keyboard entry.
It does this at seemingly random, annoying times. I'm using Office 2007 on XP
Pro. I have had this problem since installing Office 2007 last year.
Because most of the email I write is brief, I have put up with it up to this
point. Anyone?"

Please see this thread where others state that they have the same issue:
http://office-outlook.com/outlook-forum/index.php/m/415225/

Hope you can help!!

Thanks!

Stan

Roady [MVP]

You didn't answer my question;
Does it still happen when you work with Outlook in Safe Mode?
Start-> Run; outlook.exe /safe

Are you on Windows XP as well? Which Service Pack level?

alpha788

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

http://www.howto-outlook.com/
http://www.msoutlook.info/
-----
yjr Frequently the text view jumps to the top when composing or repying
email in Outlook 2007.  A search of the forums indicate that others
have
the
same problem but there does not appear to be a fix.
Has anyone found a solutuon to the problem?
Thanks!
Stan

Sorry - yes, it happens in safe mode as well. Running XP with Service
Pack 3.

Thanks.

Roady [MVP]

Did the last post in the thread you referred to also apply to you?
In short; that you are working with a zoomed in interface?
Do you have the Cumulative Update of Feb 2009 installed already?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/961752/
And in addition;
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967688/

:
[...]

Hello,

The last thread is not applicable, and I am not using a zoomed
interface.

I do not have the Cumulative Update of Feb 2009 installed as they do
not appear to address the specific issue.

Thanks!

kombobulator

Did the last post in the thread you referred to also apply to you?
In short; that you are working with a zoomed in interface?
Do you have the Cumulative Update of Feb 2009 installed already?http://support.microsoft.com/kb/961752/
And in addition;http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967688/
http://www.msoutlook.info/

On Mar 22, 2:58 pm, "Roady [MVP]"
You didn't answer my question;
Does it still happen when you work withOutlookin Safe Mode?
Start-> Run;outlook.exe /safe
Are you on Windows XP as well? Which Service Pack level?
--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
Coauthor, Configuring MicrosoftOutlook2003http://www.howto-outlook.com/
OutlookFAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more
http://www.msoutlook.info/
-----

[...]

Hi alpha788 and Robert,

Here is a way to "induce" this bug on any computer with Outlook 2007
installed (at least in our office):

(1) start by opening a new, empty email message
(2) fill it with a fair number of lines (one quick way would be to
type "=rand.old(50)" without the quotes, and press Enter; this will
generate 50 lines. But any text--even empty lines--will work, and
the exact number of lines is not important either)
(3) if necessary, resize the window vertically (by moving the bottom
horizontal edge) such that not all lines are visible in the view pane
(4) type a few characters. The view pane should scroll to the bottom
if it was not there already
(5) resize the window horizontally by moving the vertical edge on
the right a small distance to the LEFT, making the window SMALLER
by a small amount
(6) type a few characters, one at a a time, slowly. The view pane
should jump to the top after 1 or 2 character(s)

repeat this at will by scrolling back down and going back to step (5).

Note: even a document with as few as 2 or 3 lines will jump, as long
as
the window is resized according to (3)

My guess: this is caused by a "Blitting" bug in wwlib.dll,
a WinWord Library of low-level utilities (scrolling etc.) used by
Outlook 2007 & Word 2007.

This bug has even affected a MicroSoft MVP, Herb Tyson,
author of the Word 2007 Bible, co-author of the Office 2007 Bible, and
many
other Windows-related books! He claimed that at some point, Word
stopped
misbehaving for him, but his Outlook is still skipping:

(0) Herb Tyson [MVP]
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.word.newusers
I had that problem with both Word and Outlook 2007, but it was fixed
in Word
(at least for me) after I applied SP1. I still have the problem in
Outlook,
though.

Here is a list of 40 other users who have reported this bug in
microsoft.public.outlook.general and other forums since Outlook 2007
was first released.
I have to assume many other users must be affected, considering the
small percentage of users who have the know-how to post to a forum.

(1) Aqueous: reaching the bottom of the view while writing email, the
pane does not continue to create viewable text, but instead shifts
upwards.
(2) N.: This is FAR from being an isolated incident. I encountered
the problem as described when I first installed in late January, and
since then every single one of my clients with a 2007 installation
also exhibits the problem. I contacted MS in February and was told
they knew about the problem and would be correcting with an update.
We're all still waiting. And manually scrolling.
(3) lovevizslas: When I reply to a message and am typing the reply, my
window keeps jumping down to the bottom (?!) of the page
(4) DJW: I experience the same problem using "Web Layout" except that
it always jumps to the top.
(5) Joylynn: Where you able to correct this problem? I am having the
same thing happen.
(6) Mike Blair: Hi Joylynn, we have a similar situation here.
(7) anon-e-moose: I've seen several questions regarding this topic,
but have not seen a solution. So I'm hoping this will be the lucky
one.
(8) dmcquil: When I am composing an email the view often jumps to the
top of the email text even though the cursor remains at the bottom
(9) mikeyb420: I'm having the EXACT same problem, and it STINKS!
(10) cerveza_fiesta: Once scrolled down, as soon as the text auto-
returns (starts a new line) the darn thing jumps right back to the top
of the email and hides what I was just typing, forcing me to go over,
scroll back down again, continue typing until it auto-returns again
and jumps to the top of the email....again
(11) Kent V. Busse :When my typing gets to the bottom of the email
composition window, the text does not scroll up to allow me to see
what I am typing.
(12) VIP: As the vertical scroll bar appears the view 'jumps' up so
that, while the cursor is still at the bottom of the page and
characters enter in the right place, I am looking at the top of the
message.
(13) Marsha: I have the same problem, and am surprised to find that
most people apparently don't.
(14) RHB-Rick: I am having the same problem as others have described.
(15) CW: I just installed Office 2007. Sometimes when I am replying
to a message I'll be typing along and all of a sudden the body of the
email jumps up towards the top and I have to pull it back down to
where I was typing and continue.
(16) bobc: Yes, I'm having the same thing happen to me and it happens
all the time.
(17) VIP: As the vertical scroll bar appears the view 'jumps' up so
that, while the cursor is still at the bottom of the page and
characters enter in the right place, I am looking at the top of the
message.
(18) marklin: It is happening to our users too. So far we have 4
reported cases of email view jumping to the top, while the cursor is
still below.
(19) pluci: When i am typing an email and it has initially scrolled
down so that the cursor remains in view, the screen view - not the
cursor - suddenly jumps to top of email again. this is EXTREMELY
annoying (and quickly going beyond that). even if i scroll the screen
back down, it does it repeatedly. GRRRR.
(20) Rick at GLAC: Did anyone find a resolution to this. One of my
users is having the same problem, for some reason while he is typing
the screen jumps to the top of the email message, even though the text
he is typing is still being entered at the bottom of the email
message. He is fit to be tied and thinks we made a mistake to update
from Office XP to Office 2007 because of this bug.
(21) Peaceful Michael: I've just recently started having this same
problem.
(22) fishinwater: I have the exact same problem with viewing window
jumping to top of page while I am still successfully typing at bottom.
(23) kombobulator:This problem is happening in our office too--
intermittently,
several times a day--to the Outlook 2007 (XP Pro) belonging to our CEO
(of course!), who is fit to be tied as well;

in www.experts-exchange.com:
(24) rtlaw: screen jumps to top of email when typing. I only have one
user reporting this to me.
(25) dassey: I tried to find a solution, but nogo.

(26) Mr e:
And me! It's enormously annoying, and I can't figure it out. It seems
to occur when the characters in a line length are longer than a
previous one, but this doesn't seem to happen when the message is
still all visible and the scoll button is at the at the top, only if
the scroll button has moved, at which point it'll jump back to the
top. I'm even condsidering writing emails in haiku until a resolution
is found.
(27) jingso:
Same glitch here and it's driving me insane. I don't know where else
to look for answers. I've tried everything I can think of.
(28) (e-mail address removed):
I have a user who has an annoying issue when composing a new email.
When the body of the message exceeds the vertical size of the text
area, instead of scrolling down with the text, the text area scrolls
to the top so she can't see what she's typing. This is Outlook 2007 on
a cleanly installed system.
(29) Gary Hillerson:
I'm experiencing a new problem, and can't figure out why. When i'm
composing a long message, the message window scrolls strangely, and
displays the top of the window, such that I'm not seeing what I'm
typing. Text entry is happening in the right place, but the window
display is wrong. I have to continually scroll back down to see what
I'm typing, and as soon as the line wraps, it happens again. ugghh
This seems to happen whether i'm using HTML, Rich Text, or plain text.
(30) Pat Adams:
On a couple of our desktop computers running Office 2007 on Windows XP
with HTML as the Outlook email format, the cursor jumps to the top of
the window rather than scroll down as the user is typing a message
that exceeds the size of the message window. It happens only from time
to time, but the same two people are the only ones having the
problem.
(I think Pat is confused about the position of the cursor and the
scrolling action that takes place--or else this is a different
problem-
kombobulator)
(31) TechInst:
Add me to your list. For me, it happens whenever Outlook 2007 does an
automatic send/receive. ... driving me nuts!! Has anyone else
correlated it to an auto send/receive?
(32)Tim:
I have two persistent and irritating problems with editing emails in
Outlook, I'd be grateful for any pointers on how to deal with them:
Occasionally, while writing an email, when I get to the bottom of the
window while typing, the window will move to some other portion of the
message while leaving the insertion point where it is. I can keep
typing as
usual, but I can no longer see what I am typing unless I manually move
the
window back. This is very annoying and obviously a bug. Is there a
fix?
(33) Barbara Pease
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
The user experiencing the problem has a very large font and as he
types a
long email the body of the text becomes longer than the screen and the
body
does not scroll down along with the cursor so he can no longer see
where he
is typing. Does this explain it better? Using Outlook 2007.
(34) jbush
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
I have this user with a strange issue I have never came across before.
He is
using Office 2007. He has created a new email, and is in the middle of
adding
content. He calls me saying it is auto-scrolling to the top of the
message. I
start playing with the email and it will jump to the top as soon as
you press
a letter or space. It is not paging up. The message rolls to the top,
but the
cursor will stay in place and you can continue to type...just not see
it.
Also, it is easiest to recreate the problem directly after resizing
the
message window. The next key pressed sends it to the top.
(35) Alan
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
In Outlook 2007, when I compose a reply, Outlook sometimes jumps
several
screenfulls ahead of where I am writing. VERY annoying, I have to keep
scrolling back to where the cursor is. This never happened with
Outlook 2003.
What is going on?
(36) Brink
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
Do all of your users have any ties to a black berry server? My boss
thinks
it may be his blackberry sync that is causing this issue but i am
pointing it
at MS. any thoughts?
(37) Cody Rioux
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook
I have a user here at work who is also experiencing this issue.
Shes running office 2007 on a windows xp workstation.
She is using larger than default fonts, and im not sure about the zoom
feature.The issue occurs exactly as described by kombobulator. The
cursor
stays at the bottom of the message, and the message itself scrolls to
the top
of the page. I'll be trying various things here and I'll post back if
I find
a solution. In the mean time... has anyone else solved this?
(38) ProudPrimate
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook
I tried changing this switch (Smart Cursoring), but it made no
difference.
As someone below
said, the cursor is OK: it's the scroll that is problematic. My best
guess
is in the rush to market the product was shipped with an improperly
written
procedure. What happens is, when the last visible line wraps, the
cursor
goes down one line, the screen scrolls correctly, and the first word
on the
new line is displayed correctly as typed, until the first space (End
Of Word)
at which point the scroller control jumps to Start Of Page.
I've programmed F9 to take me to End Of Page, which minimizes the
aggravation, but if I'm working on a passage in mid-document, I have
search for the cussed thing again. I've taken to starting a new doc,
and
pasting it into place when done. But it's a bug, pure and simple.
(39) Dab
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.word.newusers
I have an annoying problem with MS Word in that when I'm typing a
document
that is larger than what appears on the screen, Word regularly shifts
the
view window to somewhere else in the document from where I'm typing.
I can
keep typing forever, blindly, and the window focus won't go back to
where
the cursor is. If I use an up or down arrow, the view will jump back
where I'm typing. This happens in Word and in Outlook (where I
experience
it most often as I use Word as my email editor. Anyone know a fixes
for
this; it's really annoying!
(40) alpha 788
see this thread

kombobulator

alpha788

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.word.newusers

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.word.newusers
I have an annoying problem with MS Word in that when I'm typing a
document
that is larger than what appears on the screen, Word regularly shifts
the
view window to somewhere else in the document from where I'm typing.
I can
keep typing forever, blindly, and the window focus won't go back to
where
the cursor is.  If I use an up or down arrow, the view will jump back
where I'm typing.  This happens in Word and in Outlook (where I
experience
it most often as I use Word as my email editor.  Anyone know a fixes
for
this; it's really annoying!
(40) alpha 788
see this thread

kombobulator

Wow!! It certainly seems that I;m not the only one with this
problem. It's puzzling that MS is taking so long to rectify the issue
when it appears so prevalent. Thanks for detailing the extent of the
issue with Outlook 2007 users.

Stan

The Jian

Count me in and about 40 office users and my company that have complained.
XP and vista (some home users) all work users are using XP SP2. I'm on XP
SP3 on all my pc's at home, and has same problem on my dual boot XP64 SP2.
Same on 32bit or 64bit vista at home (I'm also an OEM so I have everything in
OS's even server 2003/2008 from the action pak subscription). Outlook does
this on any PC. PERIOD. It's a programming error, not related to any OS or
hardware. I've seen enough PC's to know that much at this point. Not zoomed
either though can't say the same for all users at work. Hope you get someone
[...]

Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

Hope you get someone on this.

Keep in mind that these newsgroups are not official support channels and that
Microsoft employees rarely visit them. If you wish Microsoft to examine a
problem, you must open a support incident by contacting them via one of the
methods the Outlook 2007 Product Solution Center.
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/11335#tab0