Tesla Solar roofs

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Elon Musk announced that Tesla solar roofs are now available to order, and the tiles come with an infinity warranty :eek: :bow: They will be shipped later this year in the US and next year for other locations. Rather than fixing ugly panels to your roof, this system replaces the entire roof and the tiles generate solar power. They are more durable than regular roof tiles too (hence the mega warranty). Furthermore, because the tiles are so durable it will apparently work out cheaper than traditional roofing. Sounds pretty incredible! I have to admit I'd love to have an eco-home where all the power is generated through solar etc.

https://www.tesla.com/solarroof
https://futurism.com/elon-musk-just...s-solar-roofs-will-have-an-infinity-warranty/

What do you think? Would you go for something like this? I'd be interested to know how much it costs...

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Wonderful. :thumb:

I always thought that this was the way forward and would certainly consider it if I ever needed a new roof. :nod:

And why stop at the roof? Why not solar walls too? The more heat we can get from natural sources the better.:)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
That's true! Imagine if every house had a solar roof, that would be amazing. Almost makes me want to build my own house so I could have one!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
It is a neat idea, but, fitting will be pretty fiddly, unless they have come up with a smart way to connect each individual tile. They certainly look like traditional tiles which I guess will please some folk.
However making smaller panels like the ones we have now that had watertight interlocking edges would be much cheaper and quicker to install. They might make roofs look different but would that be such a bad thing ?

Me sis had some solar panels and one of those new big batteries fitted and even with the lowly new feedback tariff she is saving quite a bit of loot.

:cool:

Reaction score
Funny....I cant find anywhere any technical specs on how much electricity each tile produces??????:confused:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Funny....I cant find anywhere any technical specs on how much electricity each tile produces??????:confused:

Any in depth details are almost non existent at the moment it seems. Good idea but possibly not the best way forward. Time will tell as they say. :cool:

Reaction score
Any in depth details are almost non existent at the moment it seems. Good idea but possibly not the best way forward. Time will tell as they say. :cool:

Yes but I personally wouldnt buy unless I knew what power output I was getting...And you can make an $1000 USD deposit on the webpage, but you're not even sure what you're getting???

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score

That's a good question, I can't find it either. I'm guessing it will become available in time - I'm with you re not wanting to sign up for anything I don't know the full details of, especially when there's a big initial cash outlay! There are bound to be people out there who are willing to take the risk though.

Ask a Question