Teminal Service License

G

I have a windows 2k server sp3. By default it comes with 2 terminal services licenses. When I log on to the server a third time I get an error telling me that the terminal server has run out of licenses. I just recently purchased two additional CAL's for terminal services, activated the terminal services licensing manager and installed the licenses. When I attempt to log on through terminal services a third time, I receive the same error about being out of licenses. While logged on through terminal services, the ts manager shows my active connection, but the ts lic manger does not show that any licenses have been given out (even though at that time I am currently using one). How do i get it to accept and distribute the additional CAL's so that I can log on more than twice?
I am not sure if it makes any difference but I am using RDC on XP Pro sp1 client to access ts.

G

If you are running the server in Terminal Services Administration mode (which it sounds like you are) then only two admins can connect at any time to the server via RDP. In order to allow more connections you need to purchase Terminal Server CALs (Win 2000 Pro and XP Pro count) and activate them - this is running it in Application mode

Go to Add/Remove programs, Windows Components and check your terminal services mode from there

Hope this helps clear things up a bit

G

Hi Chris

Looks to me like you have your system set to Remote Administration. You need to change it to an Application Server. You can do that in the Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs - Windows Components... more info at MS tech site... Good luck

----- Chris wrote: ----

I have a windows 2k server sp3. By default it comes with 2 terminal services licenses. When I log on to the server a third time I get an error telling me that the terminal server has run out of licenses. I just recently purchased two additional CAL's for terminal services, activated the terminal services licensing manager and installed the licenses. When I attempt to log on through terminal services a third time, I receive the same error about being out of licenses. While logged on through terminal services, the ts manager shows my active connection, but the ts lic manger does not show that any licenses have been given out (even though at that time I am currently using one). How do i get it to accept and distribute the additional CAL's so that I can log on more than twice?
I am not sure if it makes any difference but I am using RDC on XP Pro sp1 client to access ts.

V

Vera Noest [MVP]

Yes.
These clients receive a free TSCAL when they connect to a W2K
Terminal Server, but a Windows 2003 TS requires 2003 TS CALs.
You can apply for a free 2003 TS CAL for every XP Pro desktop
license that you owned on the date that Windows 2003 was released,
24 April 2003.

Windows Server 2003 Pricing and Licensing FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/pric
licfaq.mspx

Terminal Server CAL Transition Plan FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/tsca
ltransfaq.mspx

Ask a Question