TCP/IP components missing?

G

I used Ad-Aware on my machine because my hiome page was being hiijacked. But when I restarted my internet connection on the machine wouldn't work. I have a cable modem running to a router and two computers hooked up to the router. (internet connection still works on the one I didn't use Ad Aware on) I tried to use the system Restore function but it runs and then says it couldn't Restore. I tried to go into my Network setting and repair the TCP/IP connection but it says it can't get a IP address. So, I deleted and then resinstalled TCP/IP in Add/Remove Windows Components.. As I was Adding TCP/IP i get the following error
One or more services for the Simple TCP/IP Services Components took more than the allotted time to start. I also get an error for a RIP Listener? Does anyone know what could be wrong or how to install TCP/IP another way?

W

Will Denny

Hi

You can restore the original TCP/IP Registry settings with the following command:

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt - the .txt file can be renamed to whatever you want.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

| I used Ad-Aware on my machine because my hiome page was being hiijacked. But when I restarted my internet connection on the machine wouldn't work. I have a cable modem running to a router and two computers hooked up to the router. (internet connection still works on the one I didn't use Ad Aware on) I tried to use the system Restore function but it runs and then says it couldn't Restore. I tried to go into my Network setting and repair the TCP/IP connection but it says it can't get a IP address. So, I deleted and then resinstalled TCP/IP in Add/Remove Windows Components.. As I was Adding TCP/IP i get the following error:
| One or more services for the Simple TCP/IP Services Components took more than the allotted time to start. I also get an error for a RIP Listener? Does anyone know what could be wrong or how to install TCP/IP another way?

G

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt - the .txt fil
Where do I enter this or find it
Will this help if the component is not there?

W

Will Denny

Hi

You can enter that command from either Start>Run or a command prompt. It resets the base TCP/IP files and reinstalls all TCP/IP components. Which component(s) in particular? I'm not sure how you uninstalled TCP/IP as I didn't think that was possible in XP.

--

Will Denny

| netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt - the .txt file
| Where do I enter this or find it?
| Will this help if the component is not there?

D

DH

kptgreg said:
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt - the .txt file
Where do I enter this or find it?
Will this help if the component is not there?

At a Command Prompt. Go start/run/type in cmd and press enter

Dave H.

G

I went to the command prompt and typed "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt " it didn't ask me to rename the file, the cursor blinked for about 30 seconds and then went back to a prompt. Then I restarted and tried to go through the Network Setup Wizard, but I had the same problem which I believe is TCP/IP related. I select "Set up a home or office network" go through the screens and at the very end it gives me the error "Cannot Complete the Network Setup Wizard - An error occurred during configuration of the network on this computer" I know my internet connection works because my other computer that is attached to the same router is working. Any ideas?

W

Will Denny

Hi

What I meant by 'rename' is that you can call that .txt whatever you want. You can call it kptgreg.txt if you like. Have a look for the resetlog.txt you created with that command - search in Windows Explorer - and the contents should be <completed>. What do you see in that file?

--

Will Denny

| I went to the command prompt and typed "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt " it didn't ask me to rename the file, the cursor blinked for about 30 seconds and then went back to a prompt. Then I restarted and tried to go through the Network Setup Wizard, but I had the same problem which I believe is TCP/IP related. I select "Set up a home or office network" go through the screens and at the very end it gives me the error "Cannot Complete the Network Setup Wizard - An error occurred during configuration of the network on this computer" I know my internet connection works because my other computer that is attached to the same router is working. Any ideas?

G

I opened the resetlog.txt and saw that at the end it said <completed> It reset, added and deleted a lot of things. But the Network wizard is still giving me the same error.

S

Steve Winograd [MVP]

I used Ad-Aware on my machine because my hiome page was being hiijacked. But when I restarted my internet connection on the machine wouldn't work. I have a cable modem running to a router and two computers hooked up to the router. (internet connection still works on the one I didn't use Ad Aware on) I tried to use the system Restore function but it runs and then says it couldn't Restore. I tried to go into my Network setting and repair the TCP/IP connection but it says it can't get a IP address. So, I deleted and then resinstalled TCP/IP in Add/Remove Windows Components.. As I was Adding TCP/IP i get the following error:
One or more services for the Simple TCP/IP Services Components took more than the allotted time to start. I also get an error for a RIP Listener? Does anyone know what could be wrong or how to install TCP/IP another way?

The entry that you found in Add/Remove Windows Components doesn't
install or un-install TCP/IP. It installs or un-installs some
optional components that use TCP/IP.

The problem could be that some of the removed spyware had inserted
itself into the LSP (Layered Service Provider) chain that TCP/IP uses.
If so, here are two possible fixes:

1. Use the procedure shown here:

How to determine and recover from Winsock2 corruption
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=811259

2. Download LSPFix on another computer, copy it to a floppy disk, and
run it on your machine. It's available from:

http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)

Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

G

thanks Steve, I followed the instructions and my internet connection is now back up.....I only have one other small problem, now when I first start my computer and error message appears saying "svchost.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close". I can close the error and my computer seems to work find, but do you know what this is?

S

Steve Winograd [MVP]

thanks Steve, I followed the instructions and my internet connection is now back up.....I only have one other small problem, now when I first start my computer and error message appears saying "svchost.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close". I can close the error and my computer seems to work find, but do you know what this is?

You're welcome. I'm glad that my suggestion helped you solve the
problem. Did you do #1, #2, or both?

For the "svchost.exe" problem, see if there are any relevant messages
in Event Viewer. To run it, click Start | Control Panel | Performance
and Maintenance | Administrative Tools | Event Viewer. For more
information, see:

HOW TO: View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308427
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)

Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

G

Sorry, about the delay I have been away. I used option number 1 - the article. I manually deleted the Registery keys and then installed TCP/IP. Later I went and downloaded LSPfix but it didn't see anything to remove. I clicked Finished and I think it did something. I have seen that I had NewDotNet on my machine which I believe Ad Aware removed. But now I am getting some unusual problems. Real Player won't connect and gives me the error "cannot find Winsock services please remove old internet software from your systems and try again."

I also ran the Event Viewer and there were a lot of errors in Application and System. The one on svchost.exe says

"Faulting application svchost.exe, version 0.0.0.0 faulting module svchost.exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0000168f
(Then gives a support links which gives no iformation)

Also, my Task bar and Internet Explorer Toolbars no longer use the XP graphics. They revert to some older Windows 98 graphics or something. It's cosmetic but weird
Is there still something wrong with Winsock?

Ask a Question