Configure TCP/IP to use WINS

C

Clayton

Hi, I ran a security check and it says the Windows Vulnerability Check is at risk and to do the following

Reconfigure NetBIOS on Windows XP
In Windows XP, NetBIOS is not necessary for networking unless you have NT 4.0 Workstation, Windows 2000 Pro or Windows 98 computers on your network. So, in order to close security holes, simply disable NetBIOS. Before disabling NetBIOS, you must configure TCP/IP to use WINS.

If you already have TCP/IP configured to use WINS, skip to the next section: Disable NetBIOS.

1.. On the Windows task bar, click Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Network Connections or with "Classic View" engaged click Start > Control Panel > Network Connections
2.. Right-click on Local Area Connection and select Properties from the menu
3.. Click on the General tab
4.. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) from the Components list
5.. Click Properties
6.. Click Advanced in the Internet Protocols (TCP/IP) Properties window
7.. Click on the WINS tab
8.. Click Add
9.. Type the IP Address of the WINS Server
10.. Click Add
11.. Click OK to close the Advanced TCP/IP Settings window
12.. Click OK to close the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)) Properties window
13.. Click OK to close the Local Area Connection Properties window

Disable NetBIOS

1.. On the Windows task bar, click Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Network Connections or with "Classic View" engaged click Start > Control Panel > Network Connections
5.. Click Properties
8.. Select Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP
9.. Click OK to close the Advanced TCP/IP Settings window
10.. Click OK to close the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)) Properties window
11.. Click OK to close the Local Area Connection Properties window

I am stuck on the IP Address for the WINS Server? is the IP address the same as my router 192.168.1.1 ?

And Disabling the NetBIOS will still allow me to access Windows 98/Me/2000 computers on my network?

Thanks
Clayton

J

James McIllece [MS]

No, you should disregard these instructions unless you have installed a
WINS server on your subnet, such as WINS that is included with Windows
Server 2003 or W2K.

--
James McIllece, Microsoft

Please do not send email directly to this alias. This is my online account
name for newsgroup participation only.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

D

Doug Sherman [MVP]

Don't what 'security check' this is, but a WINS server is useless to you unless you enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. The only way to install a WINS server on your network is to configure a machine running a Server version of the OS - Windows NT 4.0 Server, Windows 2000 Server, or Windows 2003 Server. It is true that depending on what you want to do, NetBIOS may not be necessary on an XP network; however, the 'security check' advice is otherwise incorrect.

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
Hi, I ran a security check and it says the Windows Vulnerability Check is at risk and to do the following

In Windows XP, NetBIOS is not necessary for networking unless you have NT 4.0 Workstation, Windows 2000 Pro or Windows 98 computers on your network. So, in order to close security holes, simply disable NetBIOS. Before disabling NetBIOS, you must configure TCP/IP to use WINS.

If you already have TCP/IP configured to use WINS, skip to the next section: Disable NetBIOS.

5.. Click Properties
8.. Click Add
10.. Click Add

Disable NetBIOS

5.. Click Properties

I am stuck on the IP Address for the WINS Server? is the IP address the same as my router 192.168.1.1 ?

And Disabling the NetBIOS will still allow me to access Windows 98/Me/2000 computers on my network?

Thanks
Clayton

C

Clayton

That was a Symantec recommedation after doing a Security Scan of my machine

http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/...=sym&plfid=23&pkj=BPEWCQXIIQAOIQVVFIC#netbios

Don't what 'security check' this is, but a WINS server is useless to you unless you enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. The only way to install a WINS server on your network is to configure a machine running a Server version of the OS - Windows NT 4.0 Server, Windows 2000 Server, or Windows 2003 Server. It is true that depending on what you want to do, NetBIOS may not be necessary on an XP network; however, the 'security check' advice is otherwise incorrect.

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

5.. Click Properties
8.. Click Add
10.. Click Add

Disable NetBIOS

5.. Click Properties

Thanks
Clayton

D

Doug Sherman [MVP]

I don't know what Symantec is thinking here. About the only time that you routinely disable NetBIOS would be on an adapter which connects directly to a cable or DSL modem rather than a router. Even then you would typically rely on a firewall instead. Sometimes NetBIOS is disabled in Active Directory domains; however, the results are often undesireable.

Assuming that you don't have a local DNS server on your network and don't want to use hosts files, then NetBIOS is your only means of local computer name resolution. Without it, you cannot browse and you cannot connect to other machines by name. Your only means of accessing other machines would be \\IPaddress\sharename.

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/...=sym&plfid=23&pkj=BPEWCQXIIQAOIQVVFIC#netbios

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

5.. Click Properties
8.. Click Add
10.. Click Add

Disable NetBIOS

5.. Click Properties

Thanks
Clayton

C

Clayton

Thanks Doug

I don't know what Symantec is thinking here. About the only time that you routinely disable NetBIOS would be on an adapter which connects directly to a cable or DSL modem rather than a router. Even then you would typically rely on a firewall instead. Sometimes NetBIOS is disabled in Active Directory domains; however, the results are often undesireable.

Assuming that you don't have a local DNS server on your network and don't want to use hosts files, then NetBIOS is your only means of local computer name resolution. Without it, you cannot browse and you cannot connect to other machines by name. Your only means of accessing other machines would be \\IPaddress\sharename.

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

5.. Click Properties
8.. Click Add
10.. Click Add

Disable NetBIOS

5.. Click Properties

Thanks
Clayton

Ask a Question