taskbar size

I read the thread begun by Gunjani, and I have the same problem. My taskbar
suddenly, and for no apparent reason, swelled to double thickness. However,
the two-headed arrow does not work to restore it. If I drag the border all
the way down, I can reduce the taskbar to a thin line, but the slightest
movement back jumps it to double thickness. Help?

Meena said:
Hi there,

To Lock Size and Position of the Taskbar, apply this patch:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/taskbarlock.reg

Usage: Double-click the file and answer and YES when prompted.

--
HTH
Meena

Meena, your advice looks right, but I can't fugure out how to do it. You said "double click the file." What file? The patch, at the link you give, is just two lines of code. I don't see anyplace to double click it. Could you make your instructions a bit more elementary? Thanks.

Colin Barnhorst

Did you download anything to the desktop? I think that's how the reg fixes
work on Kelly's site. You download a file and double click it to run it.

Colin Barnhorst said:
Did you download anything to the desktop? I think that's how the reg fixes
work on Kelly's site. You download a file and double click it to run it.

Thank you Colin Barnhorst, but still no cigar. I did as you said: downloaded the patch and ran it. I got the message "successfully entered in registry." Nevertheless, my taskbar remains at double thickness, and the two-headed arrow still only alternates it between that an a line. Can you think of anything else?

Colin Barnhorst

The only time I had a weird problem with my Taskbar I closed the Language
toolbar and the problem went away. Perhaps you have already removed all the
toolbars in the Taskbar, but if not, get back to just the basic Taskbar and
see what you have.

:

Shneur said:
Colin Barnhorst said:
[...]

Well, thanks again: we have a partial success. Removing ALL the toolbars from the taskbar did indeed return it to its former lean appearance. However, this included the Quck Launch section, which I use all the time (and which was comfortably accommodated before this trouble started). I can do without the Language and Links areas, but I really need Quick Launch, e.g. to go to my email while an open program is covering the regular desktop icons. BTW, do I assume correctly that "Lock Taskbar" being shaded out is because of the registry patch?

adambushill

Shneur said:
Colin Barnhorst said:
The only time I had a weird problem with my Taskbar I closed the Language
toolbar and the problem went away. Perhaps you have already removed all the
toolbars in the Taskbar, but if not, get back to just the basic Taskbar and
see what you have.

"Shneur" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...

 > > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
 > >
  > >> Did you download anything to the desktop? I
think that's how the reg
  > >> fixes
  > >> work on Kelly's site. You download a file
and double click it to run it.

  > >> --
  > >> Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual
Machine]
  > >> (Reply to the group only unless otherwise
requested)

cigar. I did as you said:
  > >> downloaded the patch and ran it. I got the
message "successfully entered
  > >> in registry." Nevertheless, my taskbar
remains at double thickness, and
  > >> the two-headed arrow still only alternates it
between that an a line.
  > >> Can you think of anything else?
Well, thanks again: we have a partial success. Removing ALL
the toolbars from the taskbar did indeed return it to its
former lean appearance. However, this included the Quck
Launch section, which I use all the time (and which was
comfortably accommodated before this trouble started). I can
do without the Language and Links areas, but I really need
Quick Launch, e.g. to go to my email while an open program is
covering the regular desktop icons. BTW, do I assume
correctly that "Lock Taskbar" being shaded out is because of
the registry patch?

I have finaly worked this one out. This issue have been bugging me
for some time now. I have found (in my case anyway) that the problem
of the double thickness taskbar was caused by the Quick Launch
toolbar, I discovered that if I chose not to display the tool bar
(right click taskbar select Toolbars and deselect the Quick Launch
option) I found that after doing this I was able to reset my taskbar
thickness to single size. When I put the toolbar back on the taskbar
went to double thickness again.
To fix it properly I unlocked the taskbar and realised that the Quick
Launch tool bar was on the line above the minimised programes, so on
the left of the minimised apps there are two dotted lines that
indicate the edge of a toolbar, when I hovered over the lines my
curson would turn double headed and I was able to move this double in
to just next to the last icon on the Quick Launch toolbar. The
taskbar went to single line size by itself. It’s kinda like when you
move your toolbars around in Word or IE.javascript:emoticon(’:D’)
Very Happy

Unchecking the Quick Launch button got my taskbar back to normal size, but
now I can't drag anything to the taskbar for easy usage. The left vertical
line (beside the Start button) will not move. Lock the Taskbar is not
checked. Any help would be appreciated.

adambushill said:
Shneur said:
Colin Barnhorst said:
[...]

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/New-Users-taskbar-size-ftopict344504.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1131431
[/QUOTE]

Elmo

Jo said:
Unchecking the Quick Launch button got my taskbar back to normal size, but
now I can't drag anything to the taskbar for easy usage. The left vertical
line (beside the Start button) will not move. Lock the Taskbar is not
checked. Any help would be appreciated.

You can't add shortcuts to the Running Tasks area. Add a toolbar, such
as the Quick Launch bar.

If adding the QL bar causes you to have two lines and you only want one,
click the divider to the left of the Running Tasks bar, and drag it up
and to the right till it's positioned to the right of the QL bar. Then
take the top of the bar and drag it down to the preferred height.

janiedigh

I read all of the threads and can't find my problem exactly. I narrowed the
field on the quick launch bar and it immediately jumped to two lines. I now
cannot get it back to one line. Plus I tried Meena's regfix and now I can't
get the two headed arrow either. HELP! Please?

Elmo

janiedigh said:
I read all of the threads and can't find my problem exactly. I narrowed the
field on the quick launch bar and it immediately jumped to two lines. I now
cannot get it back to one line. Plus I tried Meena's regfix and now I can't
get the two headed arrow either. HELP! Please?

Drag the divider on the bottom line, just to the right of the "Start"
button, up and to the right of the QL bar on the top line. When you
release, you should be able to resize the height of the Taskbar.

stkennedy

I have been having the same problem and when I tried your solution I ran into
a problem. When I try and grab the dotted line to right of the start menu
button I cannot move it at all. Any suggestions on how I can fix this
problem????

Malke

stkennedy said:
I have been having the same problem and when I tried your solution I ran
into a problem. When I try and grab the dotted line to right of the start
menu button I cannot move it at all. Any suggestions on how I can fix this
problem????

You need to unlock the taskbar before you can move anything. Right-click on
an empty area of the taskbar and clear the checkmark next to "Lock.."

Malke

sy