Taskbar & Quick Launch Conflict

Mark

I have a conflict between my Taskbar and Quick Launch
Toolbar occurring shortly after my latest online update.
I am not certain if they are related.

The problem is that when the Quick Launch toolbar is
selected to display on the Taskbar, none of the icons for
the open windows are visible in the Taskbar. The only way
to get to them is by selecting them from the Alt+Tab pop-
up menu.

Also, if I deselect the Quick Launch toolbar for display,
then the entire Taskbar, Start button and System Tray
disappear and cannot be found, resized, popped up, etc.

Now, when my settings include the Quick Launch toolbar
and the Taskbar is *Unlocked* I cannot find the right-
hand side of the Quick Launch toolbar for resizing. The
dotted border *is* visible on the left but *not* on the
right even though there are only 5 items/icons in the
Quick Launch toolbar and it requires maybe 10% of the
Taskbar space from left to right. As I mentioned, when I
turn the Quick Launch toolbar off, the whole Taskbar
diappears.

I can only deduce that the Quick Launch toolbar has
somehow resized itself to occupy the entire width of the
Taskbar and has extended into the System Tray so that I
cannot see the right handle/edge to resized it and it is
obscuring any of the icons for the currently open windows.

Is anyone experiencing the same or has a solution?

Doh! Thanks in advance.

David Candy

Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete, Process Tab, end all explorer.exe and iexplore.exe processes .

Type regedit in File - Rum

Delete these three keys.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StreamsMRU

Back in Task Manager choose Shutdown menu - Reboot.

Ted

Mark said:
I have a conflict between my Taskbar and Quick Launch
Toolbar occurring shortly after my latest online update.
I am not certain if they are related.

The problem is that when the Quick Launch toolbar is
selected to display on the Taskbar, none of the icons for
the open windows are visible in the Taskbar. The only way
to get to them is by selecting them from the Alt+Tab pop-
up menu.

Also, if I deselect the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Mark

Kelly, below is the list of what was last installed. Thx
for your help.

Installation History
Status Date Description Source

Successful Thursday, 10 July 2003 Windows MovieMaker 2
Read more... Web site
Successful Thursday, 10 July 2003 Windows Error
Reporting: Recommended Update (Windows XP) Web site
Successful Thursday, 10 July 2003 823559: Security Update
for Microsoft Windows Web site
Successful Thursday, 10 July 2003 817606: Security Update
(Windows XP) Web site

Which exact update was it? It is possible it is the cause.

--
All the Best,
Kelly

MS-MVP Win98/XP
[AE-Windows® XP]

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

Mark said:
[...]

.

Mark

Kelly, David Candy's post to the main thread fixed the
problem. I am still unsure of the cause. Regards, Mark

Mark said:
[...]

Kelly said:
Thanks, Mark.

WTF?

Are you in "self-honouring" mode, or do IQs drop during posting intervals (it's both, I'm sure!)? Mark clearly posted to you that David Candy fixed his problem right off, and also made a separate post to David, thanking him for the correct help. Yet you post back over 4 hours after he told you of David's fix for him. The ****ed part is, you thank him by replying to his post to you that listed the updates you requested, while ignoring the two posts he made regarding the better outcome?????? Any TYs should be directed at David, and not to the person you obviously didn't help.

I'm wondering how many things MVP can mean, other than certainly not being anything valuable!

David Candy

Don't use me to fight your battles. Kelly and I correspond about it before we agreed I should post it.

--
http://www.g2mil.com/Apr2003.htm
http://www.sharpword.com/fascism.htm
"Ted" <"""""""""""""""> wrote in message
Kelly said:
Thanks, Mark.

WTF?

Are you in "self-honouring" mode, or do IQs drop during posting intervals (it's both, I'm sure!)? Mark clearly posted to you that David Candy fixed his problem right off, and also made a separate post to David, thanking him for the correct help. Yet you post back over 4 hours after he told you of David's fix for him. The ****ed part is, you thank him by replying to his post to you that listed the updates you requested, while ignoring the two posts he made regarding the better outcome?????? Any TYs should be directed at David, and not to the person you obviously didn't help.

I'm wondering how many things MVP can mean, other than certainly not being anything valuable!

David Candy

You talk so dirty, makes me hot. I like girls like you.

--
"Ted" <"""""""""""""""> wrote in message

""Don't use me to fight your battles.""

Sod off! I made a clear point of how the posts came about, and it was obvious, and your name was an indirect use as an example. Your name was referenced by Mark to elicit what his remedy was, and I noted that it was blatantly ignored by Kelly. But, if you want, I could easily use the name David Cunty, if you feel your are battle weary?

Note:

You engaged Kelly as an ally in your battle!

David Candy

Teddy,

When IS your operation? I need to meet you then.

--

"Ted" <"""""""""""""""> wrote in message

[...]

Alex Nichol

Mark said:
I have a conflict between my Taskbar and Quick Launch
Toolbar occurring shortly after my latest online update.
I am not certain if they are related.

The problem is that when the Quick Launch toolbar is
selected to display on the Taskbar, none of the icons for
the open windows are visible in the Taskbar. The only way
to get to them is by selecting them from the Alt+Tab pop-
up menu.

Look along to the right of Quick Launch for the 'handle', faint
cross-hatching that marks its right hand limit. It is probably way over
by the 'tray', showing just a little window icon. beyond it. Grab it
with the mouse and drag it over to the left.

Kelly

I thanked Mark for sending the information that I had asked for. What part
did you miss? David and I work on many edits/scripts together.

--

"Ted" <"""""""""""""""> wrote in message

Kelly said:
Thanks, Mark.

WTF?

Are you in "self-honouring" mode, or do IQs drop during posting intervals
(it's both, I'm sure!)? Mark clearly posted to you that David Candy fixed
his problem right off, and also made a separate post to David, thanking him
for the correct help. Yet you post back over 4 hours after he told you of
David's fix for him. The ****ed part is, you thank him by replying to his
post to you that listed the updates you requested, while ignoring the two
posts he made regarding the better outcome?????? Any TYs should be directed
at David, and not to the person you obviously didn't help.

I'm wondering how many things MVP can mean, other than certainly not being
anything valuable!

David Candy

Furthermore our approaches were different, she was trying to find a common cause among several people with the same problem.

About 1/2 of the people with this problem get it after installing WMP9 toolbar. Kelly has for some time been trying to determine if this is the cause or coincidence.

Kelly and I have also been surveying people about other taskbar/start issues.