taskbar/balloon tips

Heirloom

My wife just discovered the balloon tips that appear when hovering the mouse
pointer over an icon on the Quick Launch bar are underneath the Taskbar.
IIRC, these used to appear over the Taskbar. Google didn't help.....is
there a setting somewhere to get these back on top. The 'tips' are on top
everywhere else, i.e. Desktop icons. No biggie, just bugs the wife <g>.
Heirloom, old and trying to keep Mama happy

Heirloom

Nevermind, kind folks.........a reboot cured it.
Heirloom, old and must be time for bed

David Candy

Come on. This is a bug introduced with Win ME. So you must have heard of it. As you have 12,500 posts in the ME groups.

Heirloom

Sorry David, my feeble mind was unaware of such bug. I will, however, do
some searching and investigate further. Thanks for the heads-up.
Heirloom, old and may have forgotten

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Come on. This is a bug introduced with Win ME. So you must have heard of it.
As you have 12,500 posts in the ME groups.

Alias

Heirloom said:
My wife just discovered the balloon tips that appear when hovering the mouse
pointer over an icon on the Quick Launch bar are underneath the Taskbar.
IIRC, these used to appear over the Taskbar. Google didn't help.....is
there a setting somewhere to get these back on top. The 'tips' are on top
everywhere else, i.e. Desktop icons. No biggie, just bugs the wife <g>.
Heirloom, old and trying to keep Mama happy

It happens after you use the Show Desktop Icon in Quick Launch. As you
said in the next post, a reboot cures it and it's a known bug, nothing
to worry about.

Alias

Heirloom

Thank you, Sir.
I just searched the Me NG and came up with nothing.......searched for
Subject and Message for 'info tips', 'balloon tips' and others......no
results. You did answer my question, however, with the 'comes and goes.'
I find it odd that it only affects the Taskbar Quick Launch icons.
Heirloom, old and it's only a
computer

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
There is no fix. It comes and goes.

Yves Leclerc

You're lucky! I get this on the "System Tray" icons also.

Why can't Microsoft fix this dammed problem (or is it a 'bug"?)

David Candy

Because it doesn't crash computers. So it low priority.

It is a bug. Explorer is manipulating the windows and the window manager gets confused.

Heirloom

I just tested the "Show Desktop"........my 'tips' stayed on top.....guess it
is just an anomoly. No biggie, either way.
Heirloom, old and mama's happy

David Candy

That is the cause. It is also a fix. Using it will randomly cause and fix it.

Open a dialog box like Display Properties and a program like OE. Try the keystrokes.

Winkey + M
Shift + Winkey + M
Winkey + D
Winkey + D

Show Desktop is the D (Show Desktop) one. Menu entries for the M (Minimise All Windows) one have been removed from XP.

Show Desktop does a Minimise All Windows THEN it looks for windows that can't be minimised and starts playing with the Z orders. A tooltip window is always there, either visible or hidden. In playing with Z orders the taskbar (if set Always On Top) sometimes gets set above the tooltips.

Heirloom

Once again, thank you, David. Your replies are always helpful and welcome.
Heirloom, old and your defense is some
thought provoking reading

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
That is the cause. It is also a fix. Using it will randomly cause and fix
it.

Open a dialog box like Display Properties and a program like OE. Try the
keystrokes.

Winkey + M
Shift + Winkey + M
Winkey + D
Winkey + D

Show Desktop is the D (Show Desktop) one. Menu entries for the M (Minimise
All Windows) one have been removed from XP.

Show Desktop does a Minimise All Windows THEN it looks for windows that
can't be minimised and starts playing with the Z orders. A tooltip window is
always there, either visible or hidden. In playing with Z orders the taskbar
(if set Always On Top) sometimes gets set above the tooltips.

No, I haven't heard of it. It's not a bug, it's an annoyance. I don't need
the little information blocks popping up simply because I stop moving the
cursor. If I want them, I should be able to press alt or something.

I want the little bastards to go away.