Task manager corruption

G

Hello

My Task Manager lost its title bar, menu bar and tabs, making it impossible to reboot or shut down in case of an emergency, or switch to programs view rather than processes view. Also, Add/Remove Programs lost the Close button at the bottom of the window, but this doesn't bother me because I can always click the X button on the title bar
I just did a fresh install of Windows XP, so it bothers me even more that this problem occured just now that I've got everything in order. I have all the critical updates installed and most of the rest. I suspect "Set Program Access and Defaults" is to blame for this, because I had the Add/Remove problem before, right after I installed it last time. But I've never had the Task Manager problem. I uninstalled the patch from Add/Remove but this merely removed it from the Add/Remove list; it is still installed
Is there a CAB file on the Windows installation CD I can extract task manager from, or a registry key I can edit, or anything at all I can do to fix this? Many thanks in advance.

D

dev

/Christopher/ said:
Hello.

My Task Manager lost its title bar, menu bar and tabs, making it impossible to reboot or shut down in case of an emergency, or switch to programs view rather than processes view. Also, Add/Remove Programs lost the Close button at the bottom of the window, but this doesn't bother me because I can always click the X button on the title bar.
I just did a fresh install of Windows XP, so it bothers me even more that this problem occured just now that I've got everything in order. I have all the critical updates installed and most of the rest. I suspect "Set Program Access and Defaults" is to blame for this, because I had the Add/Remove problem before, right after I installed it last time. But I've never had the Task Manager problem. I uninstalled the patch from Add/Remove but this merely removed it from the Add/Remove list; it is still installed.
Is there a CAB file on the Windows installation CD I can extract task manager from, or a registry key I can edit, or anything at all I can do to fix this? Many thanks in advance.

Double-click the top of the task manager window.

H

HillBillyBuddhist

| Hello.
|
| My Task Manager lost its title bar, menu bar and tabs, making it
impossible to reboot or shut down in case of an emergency, or switch to
programs view rather than processes view. Many thanks in advance.

Double click the gray border around Task Manager and the tabs and all will
return.

--
D

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

B

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

You're running Task Manager in "Small Footprint Mode." Simply
double-click anywhere along the top or side borders to return to a
normal view. Alternatively, pressing <Ctrl>+<Tab> will allow you to
cycle between the various displays, and <Alt>+<F4> will close it.

Task Manager Menu Bar and Tabs Are Not Visible in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314227

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
having both at once. -- RAH

S

S.Sengupta

Hi,
simply double click on the top of task manager window and it will restored.
regards,
ssg MS-MVP
pronetworks.org

Ask a Question