Target Frame

T

Thomas A. Rowe

If the frame is named "main" why are you creating the target value as "_main"?

--
==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

sindee said:
I have a frame page named "main", I have a navigation tree and when the link gets clicked, I want
the result to show up in that frame, but it is not cooperating. For an example:

G

Oh, so I guess I just name the target "main" eh? It was just that when I pick an whole new page etc, it shows up as _blank, or parent frame is _parent, so I guess I just assumed I needed to do the _main thing. Do I just hyperlink, pick target frame and type in "main" then? Thank you in advance by the way for your quick response just now. I will be waiting for your response. Sindee

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Yes, just type in main.

The _top, _parent are special target values the browser understands.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

sindee said:
Oh, so I guess I just name the target "main" eh? It was just that when I pick an whole new page
etc, it shows up as _blank, or parent frame is _parent, so I guess I just assumed I needed to do the
_main thing. Do I just hyperlink, pick target frame and type in "main" then? Thank you in advance
by the way for your quick response just now. I will be waiting for your response. Sindee

G

Thank you so much for your help...one more thing :(

I split my frames, I wanted to put my main frame in the center and my link menu on the right. When I upload the page, I can only see the main window, the second frame is invisible....any ideas? Thank you! Sindee

G

Thank you...that worked. One more thing though :(

I split my frame page so I have two seperate windows. One window is my main target, the other is my link menu. When I up load it only the main one shows, the other frame is invisible. Any ideas? Thank you! Sindee

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Did you create the frameset page from the File Menu | New | Page | Frames and select the correct
template?

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

sindee said:
Thank you so much for your help...one more thing :(

I split my frames, I wanted to put my main frame in the center and my link menu on the right.
When I upload the page, I can only see the main window, the second frame is invisible....any ideas?
Thank you! Sindee

T

Thomas A. Rowe

The URL generates a 404, not found.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

sindee said:
the url is: http://www.sunnyutah.com/frames.htm any help you can provide would be so awesome! Thanks! Sindee
When I upload the page, I can only see the main window, the second frame is invisible....any ideas?
Thank you! Sindee

G

sorry http://www.sunnyutah.com/frame.htm

Thomas A. Rowe said:
The URL generates a 404, not found.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

Thank you! Sindee

S

Stefan B Rusynko

Illegal and invalid framset code

You have
<frameset framespacing="0" border="0" frameborder="0" cols="*,29%">
<frameset cols="*">
<frameset cols="*">
<frameset cols="*">
<frameset cols="*">
<frameset cols="*">
<frameset rows="*">
<frame name="main" scrolling="no" src="http://www.sunnyutah.com/newspapers.htm">
</frameset>
</frameset>
</frameset>
</frameset>
</frameset>
</frameset>
<frame src="quick_search.htm" scrolling="no" name="quick">
</frameset>

And only need
<frameset framespacing="0" border="0" frameborder="0" cols="*,29%">
<frame name="main" src="http://www.sunnyutah.com/newspapers.htm">
<frame src="quick_search.htm" name="quick">
</frameset>

Note: you also need a scroll bar since you content exceeds most user screens

| sorry http://www.sunnyutah.com/frame.htm
|
| "Thomas A. Rowe" wrote:
|
| > The URL generates a 404, not found.
| >
| > --
| > ==============================================
| > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| > WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| >
| > FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| > ==============================================
| > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| >
| > | > > the url is: http://www.sunnyutah.com/frames.htm any help you can provide would be so awesome!
| > Thanks! Sindee
| > >
| > > "sindee" wrote:
| > >
| > > > Thank you so much for your help...one more thing :(
| > > >
| > > > I split my frames, I wanted to put my main frame in the center and my link menu on the right.
| > When I upload the page, I can only see the main window, the second frame is invisible....any ideas?
| > Thank you! Sindee
| > > >
| > > > "Thomas A. Rowe" wrote:
| > > >
| > > > > Yes, just type in main.
| > > > >
| > > > > The _top, _parent are special target values the browser understands.
| > > > >
| > > > > --
| > > > > ==============================================
| > > > > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| > > > > WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| > > > >
| > > > > FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| > > > > ==============================================
| > > > > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| > > > > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| > > > >
| > > > > | > > > > > Oh, so I guess I just name the target "main" eh? It was just that when I pick an whole new
| > page
| > > > > etc, it shows up as _blank, or parent frame is _parent, so I guess I just assumed I needed to
| > do the
| > > > > _main thing. Do I just hyperlink, pick target frame and type in "main" then? Thank you in
| > advance
| > > > > by the way for your quick response just now. I will be waiting for your response. Sindee
| > > > > >
| > > > > > "Thomas A. Rowe" wrote:
| > > > > >
| > > > > > > If the frame is named "main" why are you creating the target value as "_main"?
| > > > > > >
| > > > > > > --
| > > > > > > ==============================================
| > > > > > > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| > > > > > > WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| > > > > > >
| > > > > > > FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| > > > > > > ==============================================
| > > > > > > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| > > > > > > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| > > > > > >
| > > > > > > | > > > > > > > I have a frame page named "main", I have a navigation tree and when the link gets
| > clicked, I
| > > > > want
| > > > > > > the result to show up in that frame, but it is not cooperating. For an example:
| > > > > > > > Link Name: Automotive,
| > > > > > > > Hyperlink is:
| > > > > > >
| > > > >
| > http://www.sunnyutah.com/cgi-bin/cl...display_subcategories=on&category=Automobiles
| > > > > > > > Target Frame is: _main
| > > > > > > >
| > > > > > > > What am I doing wrong? Any assistance you can give would be truly appreciated.
| > > > > > >
| > > > > > >
| > > > > > >
| > > > >
| > > > >
| > > > >
| >
| >
| >

G

IMHO
I have no idea why you are even attempting to use frames, especially w/ your DHTML menus and the fact that the quick_search.htm page is the same as your Quick Search table in newspapers.htm
--

G

Okay, my site is a tad complicated, it dawned on me that I could use frames to accomplish what I want with my site. My real intentions are to put the quick search table in a frame section of its own and then have the results show up in my main frame. therefore taking the quick search table off each individual htm page. Am I making any sense? Maybe I should just recreate the whole frames page and start over? I am new at frames...sorry.

Stefan B Rusynko said:
IMHO
I have no idea why you are even attempting to use frames, especially w/ your DHTML menus and the fact that the quick_search.htm page is the same as your Quick Search table in newspapers.htm
--

sindee said:
Thank you...that worked. One more thing though :(

I split my frame page so I have two seperate windows. One window is my main target, the other is my link menu. When I up load it only the main one shows, the other frame is invisible. Any ideas? Thank you! Sindee

S

Stefan B Rusynko

You could try that approach, but frames have many pitfalls you should consider before you go that way - most of the time they are
only effective if you also create proper noframes pages
(bookmarks are not possible to link to, search engines can't index them correctly, dhtml / layout / layer issues, etc.)

IMHO
You can also drop the multiple worthless no right click scripts
- they do nothing useful
- they slow down those trying to help you
- view source bypasses it
What are you trying to protect?

--

| Okay, my site is a tad complicated, it dawned on me that I could use frames to accomplish what I want with my site. My real
intentions are to put the quick search table in a frame section of its own and then have the results show up in my main frame.
therefore taking the quick search table off each individual htm page. Am I making any sense? Maybe I should just recreate the whole
frames page and start over? I am new at frames...sorry.
|
| "Stefan B Rusynko" wrote:
|
| > IMHO
| > I have no idea why you are even attempting to use frames, especially w/ your DHTML menus and the fact that the quick_search.htm
page is the same as your Quick Search table in newspapers.htm
| > --
| > _________________________________________
| > SBR @ ENJOY (-: [ Microsoft MVP - FrontPage ]
| > "Warning - Using the F1 Key will not break anything!" (-;
| > ________________________________________________
| >
| >
| >
| > "sindee" wrote:
| >
| > > Thank you...that worked. One more thing though :(
| > >
| > > I split my frame page so I have two seperate windows. One window is my main target, the other is my link menu. When I up
load it only the main one shows, the other frame is invisible. Any ideas? Thank you! Sindee
| > >
| > > "Thomas A. Rowe" wrote:
| > >
| > > > Yes, just type in main.
| > > >
| > > > The _top, _parent are special target values the browser understands.
| > > >
| > > > --
| > > > ==============================================
| > > > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| > > > WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| > > >
| > > > FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| > > > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| > > > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| > > >
| > > > | > > > > Oh, so I guess I just name the target "main" eh? It was just that when I pick an whole new page
| > > > etc, it shows up as _blank, or parent frame is _parent, so I guess I just assumed I needed to do the
| > > > _main thing. Do I just hyperlink, pick target frame and type in "main" then? Thank you in advance
| > > > by the way for your quick response just now. I will be waiting for your response. Sindee
| > > > >
| > > > > "Thomas A. Rowe" wrote:
| > > > >
| > > > > > If the frame is named "main" why are you creating the target value as "_main"?
| > > > > >
| > > > > > --
| > > > > > ==============================================
| > > > > > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| > > > > > WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| > > > > >
| > > > > > FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| > > > > > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| > > > > > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| > > > > >
| > > > > > | > > > > > > I have a frame page named "main", I have a navigation tree and when the link gets clicked, I
| > > > want
| > > > > > the result to show up in that frame, but it is not cooperating. For an example:
| > > > > > > Link Name: Automotive,
| > > > > > > Hyperlink is:
| > > > > >
| > > > http://www.sunnyutah.com/cgi-bin/cl...display_subcategories=on&category=Automobiles
| > > > > > > Target Frame is: _main
| > > > > > >
| > > > > > > What am I doing wrong? Any assistance you can give would be truly appreciated.
| > > > > >
| > > > > >
| > > > > >
| > > >
| > > >
| > > >

G

lol, I am not trying to protect anything, the protection came with the classified ad script I bought. All I am really trying to accomplish is this: I am trying to somehow incorporate my classified script into my design. If you go to:

http://www.sunnyutah.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi you will see that the only thing I can incorporate is my heading. I would like to frame it so I can place banners for advertisers and links to the rest of my website on that script page, but it is untouchable, the script came with no htm plates, they want to charge me 175.00 per hour to make it so I can get it customized with the rest of my site, so I thought hey...if I can frame this puppy I can do the rest my self. Thanx!

Stefan B Rusynko said:
You could try that approach, but frames have many pitfalls you should consider before you go that way - most of the time they are
only effective if you also create proper noframes pages
(bookmarks are not possible to link to, search engines can't index them correctly, dhtml / layout / layer issues, etc.)

IMHO
You can also drop the multiple worthless no right click scripts
- they do nothing useful
- they slow down those trying to help you
- view source bypasses it
What are you trying to protect?

--

| Okay, my site is a tad complicated, it dawned on me that I could use frames to accomplish what I want with my site. My real
intentions are to put the quick search table in a frame section of its own and then have the results show up in my main frame.
therefore taking the quick search table off each individual htm page. Am I making any sense? Maybe I should just recreate the whole
frames page and start over? I am new at frames...sorry.
|
|
| > IMHO
| > I have no idea why you are even attempting to use frames, especially w/ your DHTML menus and the fact that the quick_search.htm
page is the same as your Quick Search table in newspapers.htm
| > --
| > _________________________________________
| > ________________________________________________
| >
| >
| >
| > "sindee" wrote:
| >
| > > Thank you...that worked. One more thing though :(
| > >
| > > I split my frame page so I have two seperate windows. One window is my main target, the other is my link menu. When I up
load it only the main one shows, the other frame is invisible. Any ideas? Thank you! Sindee
| > >
| > > "Thomas A. Rowe" wrote:
| > >
| > > > Yes, just type in main.
| > > >
| > > > The _top, _parent are special target values the browser understands.
| > > >
| > > > --
| > > > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| > > > WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| > > >
| > > > FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| > > > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| > > > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| > > >
| > > > | > > > > Oh, so I guess I just name the target "main" eh? It was just that when I pick an whole new page
| > > > etc, it shows up as _blank, or parent frame is _parent, so I guess I just assumed I needed to do the
| > > > _main thing. Do I just hyperlink, pick target frame and type in "main" then? Thank you in advance
| > > > by the way for your quick response just now. I will be waiting for your response. Sindee
| > > > >
| > > > > "Thomas A. Rowe" wrote:
| > > > >
| > > > > > If the frame is named "main" why are you creating the target value as "_main"?
| > > > > >
| > > > > > --
| > > > > > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| > > > > > WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| > > > > >
| > > > > > FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| > > > > > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| > > > > > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| > > > > >
| > > > > > | > > > > > > I have a frame page named "main", I have a navigation tree and when the link gets clicked, I
| > > > want
| > > > > > the result to show up in that frame, but it is not cooperating. For an example:
| > > > > > > Link Name: Automotive,
| > > > > > > Hyperlink is:
| > > > > >
| > > > http://www.sunnyutah.com/cgi-bin/cl...display_subcategories=on&category=Automobiles
| > > > > > > Target Frame is: _main
| > > > > > >
| > > > > > > What am I doing wrong? Any assistance you can give would be truly appreciated.
| > > > > >
| > > > > >
| > > > > >
| > > >
| > > >
| > > >

S

Stefan B Rusynko

Has nothing to do w/ your CGI
It's the script you have starting with

<script language="JavaScript1.1">
<!--
// Disable Right clicks

In the HEAD section of your pages

As for the CGI page - that would be a good candidate for framing w/ a simple top frame (you main site top level links) if they allow
that

--

| lol, I am not trying to protect anything, the protection came with the classified ad script I bought. All I am really trying to
accomplish is this: I am trying to somehow incorporate my classified script into my design. If you go to:
|
| http://www.sunnyutah.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi you will see that the only thing I can incorporate is my heading. I
would like to frame it so I can place banners for advertisers and links to the rest of my website on that script page, but it is
untouchable, the script came with no htm plates, they want to charge me 175.00 per hour to make it so I can get it customized with
the rest of my site, so I thought hey...if I can frame this puppy I can do the rest my self. Thanx!
|
|
| > You could try that approach, but frames have many pitfalls you should consider before you go that way - most of the time they
are
| > only effective if you also create proper noframes pages
| > (bookmarks are not possible to link to, search engines can't index them correctly, dhtml / layout / layer issues, etc.)
| >
| >
| > IMHO
| > You can also drop the multiple worthless no right click scripts
| > - they do nothing useful
| > - they slow down those trying to help you
| > - view source bypasses it
| > What are you trying to protect?
| >
| > --
| >
| > _____________________________________________
| > To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see:
| > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| > _____________________________________________
| >
| >
| > | Okay, my site is a tad complicated, it dawned on me that I could use frames to accomplish what I want with my site. My real
| > intentions are to put the quick search table in a frame section of its own and then have the results show up in my main frame.
| > therefore taking the quick search table off each individual htm page. Am I making any sense? Maybe I should just recreate the
whole
| > frames page and start over? I am new at frames...sorry.
| > |
| > | "Stefan B Rusynko" wrote:
| > |
| > | > IMHO
| > | > I have no idea why you are even attempting to use frames, especially w/ your DHTML menus and the fact that the
quick_search.htm
| > page is the same as your Quick Search table in newspapers.htm
| > | > --
| > | > _________________________________________
| > | > SBR @ ENJOY (-: [ Microsoft MVP - FrontPage ]
| > | > "Warning - Using the F1 Key will not break anything!" (-;
| > | > ________________________________________________
| > | >
| > | >
| > | >
| > | > "sindee" wrote:
| > | >
| > | > > Thank you...that worked. One more thing though :(
| > | > >
| > | > > I split my frame page so I have two seperate windows. One window is my main target, the other is my link menu. When I up
| > load it only the main one shows, the other frame is invisible. Any ideas? Thank you! Sindee
| > | > >
| > | > > "Thomas A. Rowe" wrote:
| > | > >
| > | > > > Yes, just type in main.
| > | > > >
| > | > > > The _top, _parent are special target values the browser understands.
| > | > > >
| > | > > > --
| > | > > > ==============================================
| > | > > > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| > | > > > WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| > | > > >
| > | > > > FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| > | > > > ==============================================
| > | > > > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| > | > > > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| > | > > >
| > | > > > | > | > > > > Oh, so I guess I just name the target "main" eh? It was just that when I pick an whole new page
| > | > > > etc, it shows up as _blank, or parent frame is _parent, so I guess I just assumed I needed to do the
| > | > > > _main thing. Do I just hyperlink, pick target frame and type in "main" then? Thank you in advance
| > | > > > by the way for your quick response just now. I will be waiting for your response. Sindee
| > | > > > >
| > | > > > > "Thomas A. Rowe" wrote:
| > | > > > >
| > | > > > > > If the frame is named "main" why are you creating the target value as "_main"?
| > | > > > > >
| > | > > > > > --
| > | > > > > > ==============================================
| > | > > > > > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| > | > > > > > WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| > | > > > > >
| > | > > > > > FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| > | > > > > > ==============================================
| > | > > > > > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| > | > > > > > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| > | > > > > >
| > | > > > > > | > | > > > > > > I have a frame page named "main", I have a navigation tree and when the link gets clicked, I
| > | > > > want
| > | > > > > > the result to show up in that frame, but it is not cooperating. For an example:
| > | > > > > > > Link Name: Automotive,
| > | > > > > > > Hyperlink is:
| > | > > > > >
| > | > > > http://www.sunnyutah.com/cgi-bin/cl...display_subcategories=on&category=Automobiles
| > | > > > > > > Target Frame is: _main
| > | > > > > > >
| > | > > > > > > What am I doing wrong? Any assistance you can give would be truly appreciated.
| > | > > > > >
| > | > > > > >
| > | > > > > >
| > | > > >
| > | > > >
| > | > > >
| >
| >
| >

Ask a Question