Tablets - Any Opinions / Users?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm still dithering whether to buy one myself, I want one but I don't honestly really need one. Best excuse is to read e-books on it in my case.

I've looked at loads and for me it comes down to the new Google Nexus 10, the 32Gb version. Why? Dunno really, just that when I compare specs that one pushes all the right buttons.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The N10 is stock, pure untouched Android, that was why I liked it, the Samsung has been infected with Touchwiz, which is a shame but easy enough to get round.

I only need the 16gb WiFi version personally.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I really like my iPad, but I'd probably go for an Android tablet now if I was buying one afresh. That said, I've not tried the Nexus 10 so wouldn't be able to comment on which one to go for out of the two... but I have tried a Samsung Note and thought it was pretty darn good!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Yes I do have one, it is and iPad with retina display (4th gen). I think that the ipad is way better than anything in terms of tablets.

From the photographers perspective iPad has an edge. and Apple's support in terms of software is great. The screen is absolutely breathtakingly gorgeous.I always prefer to see my pictures on the ipad rather than anything else. It gives very accurate reproduction of images.

From an audiophiles perspective again the iPad has better quality sound compared to other tablets. I did a short review of a blutooth receiver on Amazon recently and I tested the sound quality of both my Galaxy S4 as well as the iPad through the receiver and sure enough there was a marked difference in sound quality.

Here is the excerpt from the review of Homespot NFC-enabled blutooth receiver for home stystems.

Many reviews here have praised this little gadget on Amazon so I would not like to repeat what has already been said. However I would like to add that this unit is entirely dependant on quality of the reproduction of the source equipment. I tried two different sources and my finding is as follows:

Samsung Galaxy S4

The NFC functionality worked flawlessly, a single tap and I was in business. I played an MP3 file on the Amazon cloud player which I had purchased a while back, the track was "Can't find my way home" from the album "Live at Madison Square Gardens" by Steve Winwood and Eric Clapton. It sounded good as it is, no issues. After the song was over I decided to check another portable device just to see if it would make a difference.

Apple iPad (4th Gen) with Retina Display

I paired the iPad with the BT unit as it does not have the NFC capability, again no issues in pairing and I was ready to listen to the same song again. Within the next 30 seconds after starting the song I could hear much better sonics, the sound was a lot cleaner, less edgy when it came to guitars, slightly better bass and finally when the vocals were rendered they sounded fuller, overall a more authoritative sound spectrum across the entire audio range, I started to enjoy the experience.

The two devices in question are on the very top of the chain when it comes to smartphones and tablets, however this experiment not only proved, to me at least, that the iPad has superior sonics compared to the Galaxy S4 via the blutooth. This means that the BT receiver will faithfully reveal the shortcomings of the source or on the other hand give you better quality sound as you upgrade to a better phone or tablet.

The experiment was done with the volume set on both units (ipad and the Galaxy S4) at approx 75%. This is necessary so as not to induce distortion in the output of both devices.
Just thought I would add my opinions with some references and my recent findings to help you make and informed decision ;)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Love me iPad air but to be fair your paying for the make. The galaxy tab is just as fast and does everything the air does for a lot less. Can't beat a tablet for abit of browsing :).

I bought me am a google nexus 7 and that's still awesome.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
iPad Air. Brother has one that I have played with. Wouldn't mind getting myself one, but cannot justify spending all that money when my iPad is still working perfectly well.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yep, i am swayed to the Air tbh, everything i read says the Note is good, but not quite as good as the Air.

Funny really as the Note spec wise, on paper, should batter the Air.... Just goes to show.

Hmmm, think i need to go and have a play with them both somewhere....

Reaction score
I'm still dithering whether to buy one myself, I want one but I don't honestly really need one. Best excuse is to read e-books on it in my case.

I've looked at loads and for me it comes down to the new Google Nexus 10, the 32Gb version. Why? Dunno really, just that when I compare specs that one pushes all the right buttons.

Hi flopps`
That`s my excuse,..."I don`t really need one" But I would like one.Go for it.
(See my latest post)
historian

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well, I'm sat here with both at the moment.... One of them will be returned.

First up, they are both great, fast, light, easy to use, etc.

The iPad is, well an iPad, the screen design etc speaks for itself. The Note 10.1 is the same size, but a 16:9 screen which give you the impression its smaller, but its not.

The Note 10.1 2014 is solid, and as I've said previously, with the specs it should in theory eat the Air for breakie..... But it doesn't. Maybe its because it has more pixels tro push around....?

The S Pen is handy, more so than I thought it would be, and the familiar Android experience is good.

I wont go into too much detail, there are hundreds of reviews/videos out there. :)

But, I honestly think the iPad has the edge, the quality of the apps are just much better. Android phones are the way forward, but iPad still rules the roost when it comes to tablets. IMO of course.

Once the Play store catches up with Apple for quality and such of Tablet apps then it will be a different story. This does annoy me tbh, as its always seems developers 'try' a lot harder with iOS apps compared to 'Droid apps. :(

As for the N7 Historian, its stock android which is no bad thing, but 'only' a 7" screen. So it, to me is too small. My phones 5". :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• Tablets.jpg
    Tablets.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 322

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I got a samsung galaxy tab 3 7" free with me telly, rubbish compared to the nexus 7 so its been sold to a work mate.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
lol, yeah the Tab's are not anywhere near as good as the Note series. ;)

Ask a Question