Wotcha think of this? (Views wanted on tablet)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying one of these: Tablet fingie

Primarily as a travel companion and e-reader

I've been thinking about getting an e-reader for some time and this refurbished unit would fulfil that function but also let me: Play video; listen to music; play Android games; surf. And that price is the same as a Kindle.

I'm very attracted to it, but would apreciate it if anybody could point out any down sides.

Storage ain't much @ 16Gb but it uses Cloud and takes a USB stick so that shouldn't be a prob. I also wonder whether the battery is replaceable, I shall have to check that out.

It's only intended use would be media/entertainment & surfing, I wouldn't try and use it as an office machine.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yep the Nexus 7's are good tablets, powerful will play most games thrown at it, millions of apps are compatible and being 7" are easily transported and stored away in a jacket pocket..
There have been problems with screens though on them, and even though they use Corning glass I don't think its the same Corning gorilla glass used in my HTC smartphone which is super tough.. it will resist scratches but is easily breakable infact, I have heard many have cracked screens with just light falls from just a few inches or more onto carpet and the screens still broke, so they are not the strongest in that department, get yourself a decent case and you should be ok though..
Asus are aware of the problem..

Being an IPS panel you can see the screen from most angles, so don't have to be looking straight at the thing, which makes a hell of a difference when watching movies or playing games.. The screen being the most important thing here as its all you look at all of the time so it helps if the panel is good and you don't get much better than the IPS panels they are fitting nowadays into the top Tabs :nod:

Jellybean is great as an operating system and very fast and touch sensitivity is also brilliant on the Nexus..
These have a built in GPS receiver so you can also use it as a dedicated satnav in the motor aswell and it looks very nice scrolling the maps as you drive, you'll need a dedicated power supply in the car though as it likes a drop of juice and will run the battery down quicksmart if its used without one!

Hope that answers a few questions for ya Mr Flopp's..:D

Sorry Mr Flopp's forgot about the battery question, these are much the same as iPods and iPads as in they are not user replaceable batteries, but of course you can replace them yourself with a little knowledge of hardware and the internet much like most things out there!

Last edited:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
After reading your post I was going to respond but crazylegs beat me to it with a great response and I concur with what he said.

Let me reiterate one thing here which was covered by crazylegs, the case is mandatory, them things slip out of hands very easily. Seen many tablets with broken glass out there, one common thing though none were being used with the case. :nod:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Nexus 7 a darn good tablet. Though it has no facility to upgrade the storage, the usb slot you mention is for charging.
I would pay the extra £11 and buy two.

For a cheaper alternative I would look at the Nook HD.

Performance
The Nook HD delivers images through a high 1,440x900-pixel resolution -- the highest yet for a 7-inch tablet. Evidence of its superior clarity can be seen in HD movies, in text in books, magazines, and Web pages, and pictures in magazines and and Web pages. There’s a slight clarity advantage in games as well.
The Nook HD's screen is clearly more impressive than the Nexus 7’s 1,280x800-pixel screen; however, it's not as cut and dry compared to the Kindle Fire HD. Most of the time, the Nook HD exudes superior quality to the Kindle Fire HD’s 1,280x800-pixel screen, with a higher brightness and clearer, well, everything. However, the Kindle Fire HD's interface takes better advantage of its lower (but still high for a 7-inch tablet) resolution and glossier screen.

http://reviews.cnet.com/2733-3126_7-936-3.html

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=aarixaqq&istBid=t

Have fun. :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I totally missed this thread...

As above, the N7 is a beast, any of the Nexus tabs are. :thumb:

I'd happily have one myself... :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for feedback folks.

The unit I linked to is refurbished and has 16Gb memory. It costs £159.00

I notice a brand new 32Gb unit can be had for £189.00.

Hmm.

A decent case is typically £30.

I be brooding ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
For the price of the new one, if you want the extra storage, its a no brainer imo. :)

Reaction score
I have a Nexus 7 and have barely turned the laptop on since I bought it around Christmas time. Fab bit of kit. A basic case will cost less, mine was about £10 from Amazon UK and came with a stylus. It is perfect for browsing the net and reading, and with a bluetooth keyboard is pretty handy for other tasks too. Its been a god-send for my mate who got vertigo 2 weeks after getting hers. Flat on her back for weeks it was a perfect partner for entertainment.

Some of the TV apps are also useful for entertainment on the go.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Half A Geek :)

I may possibly have wasted everybody's time :blush: as had an unexpected bill plus a rather huge energy bill (it was a cold Winter/Spring) so may have to delay purchase on this particular toy :(

I've read about the fragile screen issue, I think I could live with that, just have to get a good case I suppose.

Amazon for a case eh HG? 'k, I'll take a look.

Now just waiting for phone to ring and somebody to say 'Got a little work we need you to do...'

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Nook Simple Touch is £29.99 at Argos if you is just after a e-reader. Not quite what you is after but it may be an option. :)

Ask a Question