Sysyprep and default profiles

I've read a few things on TechNet about how sysprep strips the default user
profile and replaces it with the administrator profile. I've also read about
a hotfix that takes care of this issue. I've tried the hotfix but it doesn't
work, we still lose the default profile we've set up. I then tried the
copyprofile tool but I get an error that says "Invalid permitted-to-use
account name" when I put in Everyone for the permitted to use.

This is driving me crazy. It is creating a lot of extra work for us when we
image and deploy new PC's then have to recreate the default profile.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Rob,
Hmm the hotfix works. Multiple people have reported resolving the issue
after using the hotfix.
Here a couple of things to check. If it's not working it's usually one of
these things
Did you rebuild the image first, the default profile is not regenerated so
if sysprep was run with that image the default user profile was already
overwritten?
Are you using SP2 slipstreamed media? This is actually a change in SP2,
it's not really done by sysprep. ( sysprep just exposes the change)
So the hotfix would need to be deployed after SP2 was installed if you are
installing SP2 and not using slipstreamed media?
the hotfix reverts the behavior to pre-sp2 but there is also an unattended
setting to still copy the profile so if that exists it still will overwrite.

You can also rename the administrator account before running sysprep. If
the administrator account is renamed the copyprofile doesn't happen either.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: =?Utf-8?B?Um9i?= <[email protected]>
<Subject: Sysyprep and default profiles