System volume loses free space

Cyndee Meystel

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 system running Windows XP Professional where
the system (boot) drive constantly loses space. This drive is 19GB and after
booting has 16GB free. This drive is only used for system files, Windows and
those things that insist on installing there. Programs are on a different
drive. Swap file, temp files and print spooler are all on a different drive.

I previously had a Dell Dimension 4600 system with a similar configuration
that did not have this problem.

I find now that over a 24 hour period, this drive will go from 16GB free to
under 300MB free.

I have run virus scans and the system is clean. I have also tried turning
off System Restore, with no help. I used a program that shows total sizes of
all folders to compare folder (and file) sizes after a reboot, and later on.

I found that from yesterday afternoon when I booted and had 16GB free to
this morning when I was down to 299MB free, there was NO significant change
in size of any folders or files. Obviously whatever is causing this is
hidden (and not a hidden file or folder, I have those displayed).

Does anyone have any clues as to what to look for? Thanks.

R. McCarty

Download a program from SysInternals called FileMon. It is a real
time monitor for watching disk activity. Do you have any kind of
Security application that "Wipes" free space. That can leave behind
files with a .Wip type.

Cyndee Meystel

Thanks. I will download FileMon. Will that show something though if the
program that I'm using to show total sizes of folders doesn't show anything?
No, I don't have any kind of security application the wipes free space.

R. McCarty

The way to isolate this space consumption is to monitor the
C: Drive's main, root folders:

Just note the normal usage of the following folders, by Right
Clicking each in Explorer, Left click Properties & jot down
the current folder size. ( If it happens again you trace the loss
further into each subfolder tree)
1. Windows
2. Program Files
3. Documents and Settings
4. System Volume Information
5. Recycler

Cyndee Meystel

I've been doing that all along, and none of them ever show a significant
change (not more than around 1 MB, not accounting for over 15 MB missing).

R. McCarty

Just one more follow-up. If you Open My Computer and click
Properties for the C: drive, does it confirm the loss of space.
Also does Scheduler have anything out of the ordinary queued
up to run on a daily basis ?

Cyndee Meystel

Yes, My Computer does confirm the loss of space. And the only things run
daily by Scheduler are defrags and virus scan.

Cyndee Meystel

I have now run assorted spyware and adware removal programs as well as an
additional virus scan. Only thing found was 5 spyware type items which were
removed. Didn't help. Overnite, system went from 12GB free (from 16GB free
at boot) to 5GB free with only virus scan, back up and defrag running
overnite (at different times)

Cyndee

Jim Macklin

Have you looked using Windows Explorer (or the cmd.exe dir)
to see what files these are? You could be sure hidden files
are shown and sort by date. Maybe there is a pattern you
could find.

message | I have now run assorted spyware and adware removal
programs as well as an
| additional virus scan. Only thing found was 5 spyware type
items which were
| removed. Didn't help. Overnite, system went from 12GB free
(from 16GB free
| at boot) to 5GB free with only virus scan, back up and
defrag running
| overnite (at different times)
|
| Cyndee

message
| | > Yes, My Computer does confirm the loss of space. And the
only things run
| > daily by Scheduler are defrags and virus scan.

message

| > > Just one more follow-up. If you Open My Computer and
click
| > > Properties for the C: drive, does it confirm the loss
of space.
| > > Also does Scheduler have anything out of the ordinary
queued
| > > up to run on a daily basis ?

message

wrote in message

monitor the

folders, by Right

in message

wrote in message
Windows XP
| > > Professional
space. This drive is
| > 19GB
used for system
| files,
there. Programs are on
spooler are all on a

system with a similar

drive will go from
| > > 16GB

clean. I have also
| > tried
program that shows
| > > total
sizes after a reboot,
| > and

| 16GB
there was NO
| > > significant
whatever is causing
| > > this
have those
| > displayed).

look for? Thanks.

Cyndee Meystel

Yes, I've done that. I've been constantly monitoring file and folder sizes
(with all system and hidden files and folders showing), and there is no
significant change even when my free space goes down to less than 1 MB.

Cyndee Meystel

I thought everyone here who was so helpful would like to know that I've
fixed the problem.

Thanks to someone in the Anandtech.com Tech Support Forum, I've found the
solution.

It was a misconfigured BootVis (Microsoft's optimization tool). Its trace
had obviously been interrupted so that it never properly finished and was
constantly running and and accummulating data. Once its tracing was stopped,
the problem was fixed.

Thank you all for your help.