System volume information access denied

Brian Telford

I have tried to restore to a previous setup a few days old but system
restore reports ' unable to restore'. My virus prog has detected adware in
the last restore point files but is unable to delete due to folder access
denied, I have tried opening the file in win explorer but get the same
problem.
tried using calcs from a cmp prompt but that fails.
I am also unable to access 'component serveices or any cumpter management
from ctrl panel.
Any suggestions?
Would reinstalling windows work or will it fail trying to delete the system
information folder?

BJT

David Candy

Only the system can access that folder. Because you can not do a single thing in that folder without breaking System Restore. So permissions are set to only allow the system to access.

It doesn't matter what is in SR if you don't restore. It will eventually become too old and be deleted.

Create a manual restore point, run Disk Cleanup and click the button that deletes all but last restore point.

Users are the most dangerous thing to windows as they keep doing things beyond their abilities. If SR was working (and I've only answered you because it isn't) then doing nothing and not thinking about it is the correct response.

Brian Telford

The problem is that I am also unable to create a new restore point. It
appears that nothing can access the system information volume folder . For
your information I am not a novice and have had over 30 years experience but
never had this problem.
"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Only the system can access that folder. Because you can not do a single
thing in that folder without breaking System Restore. So permissions are set
to only allow the system to access.

It doesn't matter what is in SR if you don't restore. It will eventually
become too old and be deleted.

Create a manual restore point, run Disk Cleanup and click the button that
deletes all but last restore point.

Users are the most dangerous thing to windows as they keep doing things
beyond their abilities. If SR was working (and I've only answered you
because it isn't) then doing nothing and not thinking about it is the
correct response.

David Candy

You don't have permission to change the permissions. You need to take ownership of the folder (which is the admins special powers), then give yourself permission to access it.

But did you try turning SR off, reboot, turn on, reboot. Even if you do above you need to reboot anyway.

Brian Telford

That I have tried to do this using cacls
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309531) but it
fails everytime saying The filename,directory name or volume label syntax is
incorrect.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
You don't have permission to change the permissions. You need to take
ownership of the folder (which is the admins special powers), then give
yourself permission to access it.

But did you try turning SR off, reboot, turn on, reboot. Even if you do
above you need to reboot anyway.

Brian Telford

The problem appears to be that windows could not acces the files. Now
sorted!! cacls was reporting incorrect filename etc but has infact allowed
access, system restore is now working correctly.
I still am unable to use any administritive tools, cumputer manager etc.
these all report that the relevant module missing invalid or incorrect
version , these are the original files and were working perfectly a week
ago>

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
There is no point in getting access.

David Candy

I doubt this is the problem but the fix for the error is to type

sfc /scannow

But I suspect nasty programs but try the sfc thing first.

Mark L. Ferguson

It would seem more likely that this would also be some Permissions issue,
but SFC would repair versions trouble

To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW

David might have a better guess, but I would try changing the 'owner
objects' default in XP, before the SFC.

Go to Start/Run, and type : GPEDIT.MSC Local Computer Policy> Computer
Configuration> Windows Settings> Security Settings> Local Policies> Security
Options> System Objects: Default owner for objects created by members of the
Administrators Group. Set this to "Administrators group" instead of "Object
Creator".

Running SFC before and after, with testing, would tell you if this was it.