System restore

toneywho

I recently updated my system by installing a much bigger hard drive. I now
can no longer access System Restore. I get an error right away. I then went
to the System folder in the control panel and selected System Restore. this
resulted in this fault: "An Exception occurred while trying to run
"shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL "C:\WINDOWS\System32\sysdm.cpl",System" I have
ran sfc /scannow and apparently reloaded some dll's but System restore still
doesn't work. Any ideas?

Carrie Garth

| "toneywho" <[email protected]>
| wrote in message | I recently updated my system by installing a much bigger
| hard drive. I now can no longer access System Restore. I get
| an error right away. I then went to the System folder in
| the control panel and selected System Restore. this resulted
| in this fault: "An Exception occurred while trying to run
| "shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL "C:\WINDOWS\System32\sysdm.cpl",System"
| I have ran sfc /scannow and apparently reloaded some dll's but
| System restore still doesn't work. Any ideas?

Not sure what is going on, but that command line ("....sysdm.cpl",System")
does not look right. What happens if you click Start, click Run,
type the following command and click OK:

rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL sysdm.cpl,System,4

On my machine that opens System Properties to the tab
titled "System Restore".

Or another method is to click Start, click Run, type the
following command and click OK:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Then click the hyperlink named "System Restore Settings".

BTW, are you simply trying to configure System Restore
or are you trying to use System Restore to undo changes?
And did your drive letters change when you installed your
new hard drive?