System not starting - Power problems?

Dil

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Im new here and I have searched through previous posts about power problems but I couldnt see anything that realted specifically to me, so please forgive me if im doing something wrong!

The problem:

I turned on my system yesterday and about halfway through this boot up process I heard a popping sound, like a fuse blowing. The system then died. Thinking that it was a fuse blown in the plug I changed the fuse in the pc power plug and also the 4 way power connector that the pc power is plugged into. The system still wouldnt start. I think that power is getting to the system because the monitor gets its power from the pc and the monitor light is on, but the pc will not start at all. Pressing the power button does nothing, no fans starting, no beeps. Nothing at all.

Does anyone have any ideas what happened and how to fix it? Sorry if any of this is not clear, if anyone has any questions then please let me know and I will answer them as best I can.

Thanks everyone!

Dil

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Im a bit of a newbie to all this but im assuming that the way forward now would be to buy a new psu? I have had a look at dabs and there are lots of psu's on there some with different watts. Im guessing I have to find out the wattage of current psu and get one with the same watts then put the new one in?

Is it difficult replacing a psu?

Reaction score
good idea to get the same wattage.

it's relatively easy replacing a PSU.

It's not definately the PSU causing the problem but in my experience it usually is.

Dil

Reaction score
Thanks, im going to buy another psu and see if that works. Do you or anyone else know a good online store to get hold of a psu? I have only really looked at dabs so far.

Reaction score
And don't worry too much about wattage, its not quite and exact science-- just don't get on any smaller than the current one you have ( lower watts) and look for one that has surge protection.

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Were you starting up the PC for the first time (a new build) or did this just happen out of the blue?

I thought my PSU was dead when I accidently connected the power to a CD drive while the PC was on. The PC turned off immediately and refused to turn on again. I dismantled the PSU hoping for an internal fuse (after checking all other fuses) but found none. Assuming I had ruined the PSU I repalced it with another I had laying around. It worked fine, but I wasnt happy with the noisy fan in it, so I decided to try my old PSU again. Surprise, surprise it worked! It must have been a timed cutout or something.

Did you leave your PC off for a while before trying to start it again?

Last edited:

Dil

Reaction score
Its not a new build, had the system for about a year. It happened when I was putting another plug into the 4 way connector so like Techy said, I probably blown the psu or something.

I left the system for a few hours and tried it again, but still no joy.

Dil

Reaction score
Hello again everyone!

Im only just getting round to buying the psu after checking the wattage im going to get a 300w one but I have a question...

On my current psu there are tho connectors, one for the plug and another that goes to my monitor. Looking online at pictures on the websites above it seems some of them only have one connector for the plug. If this is the case how I would I get power to my monitor? Am I just being think and not seeing the other connector on the pictures?

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Very few power supplies now have this extra connecter to connect your moniter directly to your PSU.
Just get another PC power lead (the same as the one that connects your PSU to the mains) and plug that into your moniter, this will however require another spare plug socket to use, but offers much better surge protection for your valuable PC.
Also, I would recommend 400w minumum - but then what is the spec of your PC?

Last edited:
Reaction score
hmm, I dunno if i'd want to do that. I think I work my PSU quite enough already, I think a 21" crt would be pushing it. Then again I might be wrong, but I have a Battery back up and a surge protector, so 14 plugs is really all I need.

Ask a Question