Sysprep - Load Needed DLLS for Kernel problem

I seem to have a problem when creating master images for new machine types
and it's driving me crazy. I prepare and sysyprep -reseal -mini the machine
prior to imaging. After I reboot the system will successfully go through the
minisetup, and will reboot and fail to load with a "Load Needed DLLS for
Kernel" the above error. It seems I have about a 50% chance of this
occuring. I'll follow the same procedure again and it will work.

This has been happening to me for some time across several different machine
models and versions of sysprep. I generally now do a backup image before
syspreping to make sure I don't have to start from scratch, but I really
would like to know what the heck I'm doing wrong.

Thanks
~Glen

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Glenn,
We don't usually see this in sysprep.
This is virually always a mismatch between kernel and hal files.
326671 Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because of an Error in...
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326671

When you get the error trying running windiff against an image that is
sysprepped to find out what the file differences are.
Windiff should be in the support.cab on the the Windows XP CD
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: =?Utf-8?B?Ry4gRHJhZ2Vy?= <G. (e-mail address removed)>
<Subject: Sysprep - Load Needed DLLS for Kernel problem
<Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:29:50 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<
[...]

Thanks for the reply. I had reviewed the HAL issue and determined that
wasn't the problem in our case.
In troubleshooting this problem, I first created a backup image of the
machine prior to sysprep, then I ran sysprep, ran through mini setup, and the
machine would fail. I was able to enter safemode and see that it was
failling quite early in loading the kernel (I believe it was bootvid.dll, but
don't hold me to it). I pulled the drive and put it into another system as
a secondary to see if that file had been corrupted. Instead, I found that
the file was missing, and after a quick compare with the machine image, I
found that roughly 200 .exe, .dlls, and other system files were missing from
windows\system32. I searched the drive and found the files in the \Program
Files\Program Shortcuts directory. Moving all the files back to my system32
directory and putting the drive back alllowed the system to boot. A quick
web search led me to knowledgebase article q307543. For whatever reason, the
desktop cleanup routine in minisetup was "cleaning" my system32 directory.
Utilizing the key referenced in the article to disable the desktop cleanup
has solved my problem.
So I know what was happening and I know how to prevent it, I just don't
know what I was doing in my system prep process that whould have confused the
desktop cleanup to go amok.

~Glen

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Glenn,
We don't usually see this in sysprep.
This is virually always a mismatch between kernel and hal files.
326671 Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because of an Error in...
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326671

When you get the error trying running windiff against an image that is
sysprepped to find out what the file differences are.
Windiff should be in the support.cab on the the Windows XP CD
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: =?Utf-8?B?Ry4gRHJhZ2Vy?= <G. (e-mail address removed)>
<Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:29:50 -0700