Syncronising data on more than one computer on the LAN

Rolf Carstens

Hi group,
is there a program which will make's it easy to synchronies my
files and data on more than one computer on my LAN?
Thanks for any information.

--
All the best, Rolf.

** Geyserland Observatory Rotorua /NZ **
Astronomy & Rotorua Weather
http://www.geyserlandobservatory.org
***********************************

Lennart

Op 26 Aug 2005 04:00:37 -0700 schreef Vij:

Wow! When this works, this is great 8-D

Allway Sync Features

* Free for personal use synchronization software. No spyware, adware or
malware.
* Easy to use graphic interface.
* Performs true bi-directional (all-way) file and folder
synchronization, forget about backup and restore routines.
* File modifications and deletions are stored in a local database. Thus
Allway Sync knows exacly what you did with the files, no unnecessary
questions asked.
* Proprietary innovative algorithm does not rely on file system
accuracy or network connection quality. So Allway Sync prevents data lost.
* Generate full report of difference between synchronization folders
* Folders are synchronized as well. Allway Sync detects when folders
were removed from one device and removes them from other.
* Virtually any filesystem is supported.
* Capable to synchronize more than 2 folders.
* Synchronize data between your desktop PCs and laptops over network.
* Update and backup files if you don't need bidirectional
synchronization.
* Store more than one set of folders you what to synchronize mutually
(multiple jobs).
* Can be used to transfer documents from one computer to another via
removable drive.
* Or just synchronize with removable (USB key, flash drive, CDRW, Zip)
device to have your data always with you.
* Flexible configuration and customization
* Virtually unlimited file size

Lennart

Sorry, I changed the subject, so the thread is broken ...

I'm sorry ... :'-(

Op Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:45:55 +0200 schreef Lennart:

Tramp

Op 26 Aug 2005 04:00:37 -0700 schreef Vij:

Wow! When this works, this is great 8-D

Yes but did you see this? http://allwaysync.com/license.html

"These limitations are described at
http://www.syncapp.com/freelimit.html and are incorporated into this
Agreement by reference."

The limitations are

"Free Version Limitations of The File Synchronization Software
- Excessive usage is not allowed
- May not work in enterprise software environment"

So what qualifies as "Excessive usage'?

Rolf Carstens

Thanks to all of you,
I will give this one a try, looks very impressive and
seems to be right for me.
--
All the best, Rolf.

** Geyserland Observatory Rotorua /NZ **
Astronomy & Rotorua Weather
http://www.geyserlandobservatory.org
***********************************

Susan Bugher

Vij said:

Not recommended - per discussions in ACF it's a crippled version of Unison. Google the archives for
Allway Sync and Good Sync (clone).

The real thing is here:

Program: Unison
Author: Benjamin C. Pierce
Ware: (Freeware) (open source: GNU GPL)
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Jan-Sebastian Winckelmann

The limitations are

"Free Version Limitations of The File Synchronization
Software
- Excessive usage is not allowed
- May not work in enterprise software environment"

So what qualifies as "Excessive usage'?

The periodical sychronisation of my MP3 collection ( several GBs ) with
a back-up copy on an external USB harddisk qualified as "excessive
usage":-(

I now use the new SyncToy by Microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/synctoy.mspx

( genuine Microsoft Windows validation is required for download )

Cousin Stanley

Program: Unison
Author: Benjamin C. Pierce
Ware: (Freeware) (open source: GNU GPL)
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/

Cousin Susan ....

Thanks for posting the link to Unison ....

Since there are installable binaries with similar versions
available for both the Linux and Windows operating systems
that I use, this seems to be potenially useful for me ....

A quick look at the install docs indicated
that having similar verions on both machines
to be synchronized was seemingly essential ....

I use Debian GNU/Linux Sarge and the version
readily available there is a bit behind
the Windows version available at the Unison site ....

However, the Debin Sid distribution
does have a similar version available ....

Susan Bugher

Cousin Susan ....

Thanks for posting the link to Unison ....

You're welcome Cousin Stanley. :)
Since there are installable binaries with similar versions
available for both the Linux and Windows operating systems
that I use, this seems to be potenially useful for me ....

A quick look at the install docs indicated
that having similar verions on both machines
to be synchronized was seemingly essential ....

I use Debian GNU/Linux Sarge and the version
readily available there is a bit behind
the Windows version available at the Unison site ....

However, the Debin Sid distribution
does have a similar version available ....

That sounds like an interesting exercise/ test of the apps capabilities. Good luck with the
installations.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Klaatu

The periodical sychronisation of my MP3 collection ( several GBs )
with a back-up copy on an external USB harddisk qualified as
"excessive usage":-(

I now use the new SyncToy by Microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/sy
nctoy.mspx

( genuine Microsoft Windows validation is required for download )

It would be nice to hear from someone who has used the above two programs
as well as SyncBack (http://www.syncback.com) and could give some
comparisions as to the various features. I use SyncBack, but would like
to hear what others think of these other two.

AFAIK, SyncBack does not have any such "excessive usage" restriction.