Synchronising Folders/file and Connections

Newsgroup

Can someone guide me a reliable software (freeware) that has the ability to
synchronise files/folders on my laptop, desktop PC to my external HDD?

Additionally, I would like to connect my desktop PC to my laptop. What is
the SIMPLEST way to do this? Given all the hype on connection capabilities
of XP etc.. you still can not connect a USB cable between the two machines
and have them connect..... or can you?

Thanks.

Swifty

Newsgroup said:
Can someone guide me a reliable software (freeware) that has the ability to
synchronise files/folders on my laptop, desktop PC to my external HDD?

Look at Synctoy from Microsoft. It will certainly synchronise between
one system and the external HDD, then you could plug it into the other
system and syncronise again.
Additionally, I would like to connect my desktop PC to my laptop. What is
the SIMPLEST way to do this? Given all the hype on connection capabilities
of XP etc.. you still can not connect a USB cable between the two machines
and have them connect..... or can you?

Newer systems allow you to connect two systems with a simple CAT5 cable
between the ethernet ports. The problems with USB is that you need a
device to go in the middle. I used to have one of these, a "Busby
Bridge", but it was limited in what you could do. If the ethernet
connection works for you, it is far more flexible (no pun intended).

Newsgroup

Thanks so much. One more question, how would one know if your laptop and
desktop are capable of using this CAT5 cable?

Swifty

Newsgroup said:
Thanks so much. One more question, how would one know if your laptop and
desktop are capable of using this CAT5 cable?

The easiest way is to try it. Your ethernet ports won't be harmed even
if they are not new enough to recognise what is happening to them.

If they are new enough, you have to tinker with the network settings,
because in all probability you'll end up with both systems waiting for
what's at the other end to send them DHCP information. You have to
manually configure the two systems ethernet cards to use specific IP
addresses. This isn't difficult, just ask if you need help.

If your network cards are too old, then you need what is called a
"crossover cable". This arranges for the "listening" bits to be
connected to the "talking bits" in the other card. Newer cards do this
automatically. Imagine connecting two phones together, so the mouthpiece
on one connects to the earpiece on the other, and vice-versa.

Once you've got the network connection working then you have to setup
whatever sharing you want to do between the two systems. In my
experience, such sharing falls into two categories: It just works (what
is everyone else griping about) and uber-geek needed/vile problems. I'm
just moderately geeky.