Symbols display on startup instead of standard fonts

G

I've been having problems all day with my winxp pro system. It first started when I turned the computer on and got a memory dump midway through the windows boot process and an error with the message "page fault in non-paged area." The offending file was win32k.sys.

After numerous attempts to repair and recover all with the same results, I decided to reinstall windows xp pro instead. (Note I've not installed any new hardware or software in the last three days and rebooting numerous times when I did install new hardware on Friday showed no errors or problems.)

Now, windows will boot but it only displays the system text in symbols instead of the regular font. For instance, instead of a "Start" I now have "?^(checkmark)X^". Oddly enough the title windows display just fine. "System Properties" in the top, left corner of the system properties window displays just fine but everything else including the "Ok" and "cancel" buttons are symbols.

All programs with text such as mail and Word also display only symbols.

Any ideas?

G

Per an earlier post, I tried going to "http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm" for the " Fonts-Replace all fix. Unfortunately, my fonts folder is completely empty and I can't navigate successfully through regedit due to the missing tahoma font. Instead I tried to manually install the Tahoma font to the main fonts folder in Windows. Upon restart, the same problem existed.

Out of frustration, I copied as much of my personal files as I could find from my boot drive to my slave drive and will repartition the boot drive and reinstall xppro again. (Previously I installed XP Pro over my existing copy.)

We'll see.

G

I am having the exact same problem you had encountered..

Same minidump error and fonts problem

Have you found a solution yet?

Ask a Question