Swap Intels or Buy An AMD Combo?

Reaction score
I bought a Sony Vaio VGC-RB48G computer way back when, and it still runs fairly well (after upgrading ram of course) on vista. I am also thinking of upgrading my video card as well, but that's extra. But with the growth in processor capabilities since I bought my machine and increasing noticeability of how horrible my computer is at multi-tasking and doing a lot now, I would love to replace it. Would I have any issue upgrading my processor to say this one:

- Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core ~$330
+ Video Card (~$60 - $200)

or should i just buy this AMD Combo
- ASUS M3A78-T ATX AMD Motherboard ~$150 w/
- AMD Phenom 9950 BLACK EDITION - Quad Core 2.6 ~$175
which is about $325, and since its got onboard HD video, 2 birds, one stone.

only extras would be DDR2 ram needed but i get that for stupid cheap. (prolly like $80 for kingston 2 gig)
either would definitely increase performance a lot.
just kind of stuck looking for guidance.
I mean if there is a possibility for issues, id rather just rebuild the new AMD based version and scrap the old for say my parents or something. (MORE than enough for what they use it for)

If you feel you need more information to give me a proper diagnosis/analysis, I do have Sandra, So I'd be able to give you any specs needed.
Current processor is a pentium 4, 3.2 GHz, 4x200MHz, Socket J2E1, MOBO supports 3.2+
again, let me know if other specs are needed.
thanks for anything you could throw at me.
- Daniel

Reaction score
Is this a Laptop?
As they are much more difficult to upgrade than a desktop PC.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Awww Come on, is it a Laptop???? Just google the product number and how is he gonna fit a Quad Core processor in it!

Well, The AMD Phenom is not worth the money, find a review of the 9950, uses an unbelieveable amount power.

Or just get an Intel Q6600 is better than a phenom anyway, i had a 9750 not great.

I'm gonna presume you are in USA, i think Newegg.com is the most used for bits over there.

Oh and no i very much doubt that the QX9550 will go on your motherboard, i might be wrong but i doubt it.

Edit: Had a 9850, just as crap.

Last edited:

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
From Newegg,

Q6600 $179
ASUS P5Q Pro $139
2GB Patriot RAM $40
9600GT $110

About $450 very cheap.

Reaction score
For someone who's been here a short time you dont half talk out of your rear at time!:p
Not everyone has the same knowledge as you when it comes to computers.
I myself am self taught hence even i get it wrong sometime!:rolleyes:

Reaction score
murdoch said:
For someone who's been here a short time you dont half talk out of your rear at time!:p
Not everyone has the same knowledge as you when it comes to computers.
I myself am self taught hence even i get it wrong sometime!:rolleyes:

Well said matey...:nod: :nod:

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
What!!! How am talking out of my arse???, just cause it says Vaio doesn't mean its a Laptop.

I know i've only been here since Feb and i myself have only been interested in PCs since then, but it doesn't take much to see its a PC does it?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Waynos be right - you can't just just upgrade the processor to the intel quad as you will also need a new motherboard.

You really need a complete upgrade which ever way you go - personally I would go down the Intel route if your looking at a quad machine as the intels are generally better than the Phenoms.....however it all boils down to what budget you have to spend....

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
You really need a complete upgrade which ever way you go - personally I would go down the Intel route if your looking at a quad machine as the intels are generally better than the Phenoms.....however it all boils down to what budget you have to spend....

Ady is right there, I have an Intel Quad Core, and they apparently are better than the AMD Phenom - AMD's version of the Quad Core. I have never used AMD so I'm only going what I've read.

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Nevertheless, ASUS does not complain about the lack of attention to this motherboard. Most users consider buying this model (and other similar products) for computers that can be upgraded in future. We are to thank the AMD platform here, because Socket AM2+ will also support processors for Socket AM3. And time will tell you whether to install three graphics cards or only two. On the contrary, it makes no sense to buy expensive motherboards for the Intel platform with a view to the future -- LGA775 will become obsolete in six or twelve months already.

Besides, we cannot ignore the fact that Phenoms perform better than Core 2 Quad processors in many games running in high resolutions (e.g. Crysis, World in Conflict, Call of Juarez, Company of Heroes). We don't even speak of comparing equally-priced models in a number of tests: an inexpensive Mid-End processor from AMD may outperform an Intel processor, which is five times as expensive, or more. It's not serious to refer to an outside article, so we are preparing our own review, traditionally full of details. Keep tabs on our new articles.

Above taken from,

http://www.digit-life.com/articles3/mainboard/asus-m3n-ht-deluxe-nforce780a-p1.html

Which was in,

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=12463190#post12463190

It always pays to read a lot of reviews before spending money.

happywave.gif

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
It always pays to read a lot of reviews before spending money.

happywave.gif
Agreed - but there also lies the problem when it comes to relying on reviews - there are also many reviews out there that see things differently ( ie. http://www.legitreviews.com/article/735/11/ )........one thing that isn't in doubt is that the AMD is likely to be better for future upgradability ;)

I still maintain that for here and now, the Intel Quads are better all round :thumb:

Reaction score
appreciate everything guys.
Murdoch, i feel you man. Everyone makes mistakes, but not to many people change mobo's or Processors on laptops.
and I did leave the model number for reference. we're human though. appreciate your attempt to help regardless.

Intel v.s. AMD, usually an opinion question rather than performance fact based. (amongst reviews)

But anyway, regardless, I need a new Mobo I'm thinking then.
From Newegg,

Q6600 $179
ASUS P5Q Pro $139
2GB Patriot RAM $40
9600GT $110

About $450 very cheap.

but in retrospect...

LGA775 will become obsolete in six or twelve months already.
well i mean arent all new Intels LG775 for now? So then Id have to go AMD based on future thoughts.

We are to thank the AMD platform here, because Socket AM2+ will also support processors for Socket AM3. And time will tell you whether to install three graphics cards or only two.

So if I want to pay for my future needs, still go AMD and live with the shittier processor but rest assured ill be able to keep my mobo for a few years to come.

If I want performance now and a possible mobo change later to stay up with times, go Intel.

Sounds to me like I'm going to go Intel, thanks Waynos_Face and everyone else. Anyone got anything else to add? Or point out wrong with my summary?

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
No, looks pretty good mate,

Nothing is really using 4 cores at the moment and its alot of power to have, but i reckon if you go with a Quadcore then fingers crossed you should be able to get 3 years out of it.

The new Intel Nehalem Chip is always just around the corner but that is still a Quadcore that employs Hyperthreading to split 1 core into 2 so you have 8 virtual cores, but again whats gonna use that?

I had a AMD 9850 and i now have an Intel Q6600, much better processor, less power consumption, great overclocking ability and it generates much less heat, plus they are about the same price.

Plus you are right, all Intel Quads are LGA775 so if you go with the "budget Quad" now then in 2 years get an extreme version for pennies, not much of an upgrade but will definetly be an improvement.

In the end is upto you mate, how long have you had this PC? a while i imagine, when are you next gonna upgrade? again not for a while.

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
No, looks pretty good mate,

Nothing is really using 4 cores at the moment and its alot of power to have, but i reckon if you go with a Quadcore then fingers crossed you should be able to get 3 years out of it.

The new Intel Nehalem Chip is always just around the corner but that is still a Quadcore that employs Hyperthreading to split 1 core into 2 so you have 8 virtual cores, but again whats gonna use that?

I had a AMD 9850 and i now have an Intel Q6600, much better processor, less power consumption, great overclocking ability and it generates much less heat, plus they are about the same price.

Plus you are right, all Intel Quads are LGA775 so if you go with the "budget Quad" now then in 2 years get an extreme version for pennies, not much of an upgrade but will definetly be an improvement.

In the end is upto you mate, how long have you had this PC? a while i imagine, when are you next gonna upgrade? again not for a while.

well, I if I get this quad core, It all depends on when i start noticing differences, and it's like you said...
nothing right now really is using it. so it really depends on the market.
I'm pretty sure I'm just going to go with what you suggested.
I was just looking possibly for someone to give me a better reason to go AMD, and go more long-term...
I have had this computer for about 4 1/2 years.
I used to build computers and what not, but when I saw this deal, (back to school), parents were looking to buy me something anyway.... so just took advantage.
Bought more ram for myself, and haven't needed really anything else this whole time.
I just like within the last 7 months got into downloading blu-rays and watching hi-def...
and my on board vid doesnt really like it and chops it up...
so i decided to upgrade that, but in looking for a new one, i decided that i might as well upgrade processors too because I'm starting to see slow down every now and then...
Go hard or go home right?
Which is when I started a search, found this place, figured I'd ask rather than assume...
Appreciate all your help Waynos_Face

If anyone else has anything else, im still open to comments, as I wont be ordering this for probably 3 weeks anyway.

I think ill stick around, maybe help some people myself.
This is a very nice forum.

Last edited:

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Well there are lots of other routes to go if you are after more a Media Centre PC than anything else.

A moderate Core 2 Duo, 2.4Ghz perhaps, 2GB DDR2 RAM @ 800Mhz, Perhaps a Intel P31/35 chipset Motherboard and a decent graphics card, maybe HD3870/8800GT/9600GT or 9800GT.

Will cost you alot less, and you will see a massive performance gain from a pentium d to a C2D, massive.

Glad you like the Forum.

Reaction score
money's not really a big deal.
i mean im not rich or anything..
i just love my computer so i dont mind spending a whole check on it to make sure I got everything the way I want it.
And from looking at every angle, I think for my money, and what I want to accomplish, what you had originally suggested sounds pretty perfect.
I appreciate the alternatives though.

Ask a Question