SuSe help

Reaction score
ok i just downloaded the latest version of SuSe and burned it to a dvd...if i install this will it keep my everything on my windows partition or will it delete everything...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hello ablizno,

Welcome to the Linux section of PCReview ... I cannot personally give you the correct answer as I 'dumped' Windows for good.

This is just a bump to get your post noticed as I'm sure one of our more experienced Linux users will be able to answer your question in better detail.

Dual boot does have the potential risk to loose access too Windows ... make sure you have ALL your data backed up ... making an 'image' using Ghost or Acronis True Image will give you peice of mind, knowing you could just re-image back if all goes a bit astray.

:thumb:

Reaction score
If you are careful during the install, you should have no problems. Before you start tho, be sure you have some free space for the linux partitions. You will need 2 partitions, a swap partition, usually sized a 2x the installed ram, but 512meg to 1 gig is fine. And the OS partition, at least 10 gig if you really plan on using this. A basic suse install is about 2.5 gig with open office and some additional apps installed, I have run a full install on 5gig, but only had .5 gig free. (that was a "install everything" install, not recommended for most people).

Now, you can either use the partitioning utility of your choice, ie partition magic, or you can just go to the storage function in computer administration in xp to shrink your present partition down to leave whatever free space you would like.
When you start the suse install, it will examin your system and decide where it thinks it should install.
Linux does not use letters for drives, it uses numbers.
it also uses differrent designations for IDE harddrives(hda#) and SCSI harddrives(sda#).
Assuming an ide system:
The first physical harddrive is hda, the second harddrive is hdb.
If you have a drive now partitioned as one partition, it would be hda1. If you had it partitioned as 2 primary partitions, they would be hda1 and hda2.
If you had 1 primary partition and one logical partition, it would be hda1 and hda5.
Hope you can follow that, because you need to understand where you are going to put things :)

This can really get lengthy, and I hope our hosts here don;t mind, but if you want to see what the screens look like, and some detailed information, I did write an advanced install tutorial for suse 9.2 pro, and 9.3 is the same screens. This may give you an idea of what you will be seeing, and what you will want to do, altho not all this is necessary for a simple 2 os system, a pictuer is worth a thousand words.

http://www.bitbenderforums.com/vb22/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66029

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... and I hope our hosts here don;t mind,
Nope, we DON'T mind one bit. Quite a few members here are also members over there.

;)

Reaction score
ok i installed suse...didnt repartition though it did it itself...i can still run windows but SuSe freeze while loading up...what the heck...someone please help...it loaded right after the install but when i try to re get in it never loads

Reaction score
ablizno said:
ok i installed suse...didnt repartition though it did it itself...i can still run windows but SuSe freeze while loading up...what the heck...someone please help...it loaded right after the install but when i try to re get in it never loads

What do you mean it never loads ? Tell us what your screen says/does. If you have your session set to load into KDE or Gnome or Openbox, FWM ..... what ? (This is set by choosing your login session when you log in..... you'll notice a couple options at the lower part of your login screen).

I believe cd1 will boot your system.... it may be a corrupted grub setting..... don't know. I haven't ever really messed with grub myself much.

Reaction score
welp it works now....didnt do anything it just worked

ps. how do u change it to gnome

Reaction score
When your logged out of a session...... on the sign in screen, you should see some text that says... "Sessions" ... put your cursor over that, and you can switch the Gnome window manager. You should have a few options. Fun stuff :)

Ask a Question