SUS automatic updates not working as restricted user

G

I have SUS running on a W2003 DC, with Group Policy pushing the settings down to the client machines. I have a test client running XP Pro sp1, and have confirmed that the settings have been applied to the client. (Automatic updates settings grayed out, and proper registry keys exist.) The GPO specifies scheduled install at 12:00 PM every day, and the "no auto-restart" setting is enabled.

If I am logged on to the client as a restricted user, and the scheduled time rolls around, nothing happens. I confirmed in the Windows Update.log file that the client PC is indeed contacting the SUS server. I have read the entire deployment guide, and was expecting the scheduled installation to occur, and the logged on non-administrator to see a pop-up indicating that the installation has occurred, and prompting to reboot, with the No button grayed out. This does not happen.

I then logged onto the same PC as administrator, and I immediately get the icon in the system tray indicating that updates are ready to install. When I change the original restricted account into an administrator, and then login again, I also see the icon in the system tray.

It is as if the user restrictions are preventing the automatic updates service from operating properly, despite the use of SUS and Group Policy. What am I doing wrong?

Ask a Question