surte.exe NTVDM CPU illegal instruction XP Pro

pj

I am receiving constant (nearly every 30 seconds) the
following error message:

Pop-Up Banner "16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem"
C:\WINNT\System32\surte.exe
The NTVDM CPU has encoutered an illegal instruction.

The system is running WIN XP Pro and has all of the
latest updates and hotfixes. This behavior began about a
week ago and seems to be independent of all other
applications. The event and system logs contain no
related entries. It doesn't seem to preclude operation,
it is just annoying to have to close the pop-up windows
constantly. If the system is left running for hours, it
appears to generate hundreds and I have to repeatedly
click on the 'close' button to remove all of the pop-
ups. This occurs independent of system use, after the
system boots it begins.

Help Please,

pj

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Troubleshooting MS-DOS-Based Programs in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314106&Product=winxp

How to Troubleshoot 16-Bit Windows Programs in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314495

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"pj" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| I am receiving constant (nearly every 30 seconds) the
| following error message:
|
| Pop-Up Banner "16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem"
| C:\WINNT\System32\surte.exe
| The NTVDM CPU has encoutered an illegal instruction.
|
| The system is running WIN XP Pro and has all of the
| latest updates and hotfixes. This behavior began about a
| week ago and seems to be independent of all other
| applications. The event and system logs contain no
| related entries. It doesn't seem to preclude operation,
| it is just annoying to have to close the pop-up windows
| constantly. If the system is left running for hours, it
| appears to generate hundreds and I have to repeatedly
| click on the 'close' button to remove all of the pop-
| ups. This occurs independent of system use, after the
| system boots it begins.
|
| Help Please,
|
| pj

Wesley Vogel

PJ;
You have an unwelcome guest.

Backdoor.Tofger
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.tofger.html

Troj/Tofger-L
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojtofgerl.html

=====================
Right click the IE icon | Properties | Advanced tab |
Make sure both of these are NOT checked.
 Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer)
Specifies to automatically download and install Internet Explorer components
if a Web page needs them in order to display the page properly or perform a
particular task.
 Enable Install On Demand (Other)
Specifies to automatically download and install Web components if a Web page
needs them in order to display the page properly or perform a particular
task.
Apply | OK
=================================
It is known as Scumware. Visit these sites. Download, install, run, update
and run again; one or all. They are all good, FREE utilities.
The first site gives some recommendations.
http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads.php?cat=all#s-p
1) Spybot S & D
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=download
2) SpywareBlaster
3) HijackThis (some other stuff that may be of interest also)
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/index.html
4) AdAware