Suggestions on site-blocking, on a per-login basis?

foobar5

I have a computer in my house, XP, that is shared by two of my kids,
plus there's a guest login for when we have people staying with us.

I'm using the hosts file to block access to web sites that my kids
waste too much of their time on and that suffices nicely.

However, a situation may be arising where I might want my son (Tom) to
have access to some sites that I don't want my daughter (Sue) to have
access to (both have separate logins on this computer and neither
knows the other's password).

So the hosts file method (one hosts file per computer, used by all
logins) won't work. I know that I could probably create a batch file
to swap the relevant hosts file into place upon login, and that
wouldn't be too hard, but I'm wondering if there's a better solution.

My router (an ancient but "gets the job done" Netgear model) only
allows per-computer blocking, not per-login.

Again, what I want is a good way ("good" means easy and free!) to
allow me to block access to certain sites for Sue's login but not for
Tom's.

Laura MS MVP

Try here
http://www.google.com/search?source...S265&q=group+policy+management+tool--Stalking is a CrimeStalking charges are serious andalmost every state now has a strict stalking law.<[email protected]> wrote in messagehave a computer in my house, XP, that is shared by two of my kids,> plus there's a guest login for when we have people staying with us.>> I'm using the hosts file to block access to web sites that my kids> waste too much of their time on and that suffices nicely.>> However, a situation may be arising where I might want my son (Tom) to> have access to some sites that I don't want my daughter (Sue) to have> access to (both have separate logins on this computer and neither> knows the other's password).>> So the hosts file method (one hosts file per computer, used by all> logins) won't work. I know that I could probably create a batch file> to swap the relevant hosts file into place upon login, and that> wouldn't be too hard, but I'm wondering if there's a better solution.>> My router (an ancient but "gets the job done" Netgear model) only> allows per-computer blocking, not per-login.>> Again, what I want is a good way ("good" means easy and free!) to> allow me to block access to certain sites for Sue's login but not for> Tom's.

Malke

[...]

For XP, you're really stuck using third-party "net nanny" type software. My
understanding about these types of programs is that you can assign "access
levels" to various users. I've never used any of this type of software so
can't recommend any particular programs, though. I can tell you that you'd
best not forget the supervisor password to them, though.

Malke