Suggestions for the future of PC Review

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
@Ian can do, I'll have a think on it.
breakfast.gif

Reaction score
I think that we need to explain Linux distributions to members because I knew nothing about them before I made the choice of downloading Mint and was prepared to experiment and read as much as I could about Linux on the Internet as there are so many (and still don't) I had to try several that looked like I could use them and then make a decision as so many of them seemed to do the same thing but they have a different way of going about it.(I think I have explained that right)

Reaction score
My opinion is that although I liked Windows 7 and quite liked 8.1 Microsoft is now acting rather like Mr Trump or rather the other way round. With Linux I have the freedom of choice over what distro I use, whether I dual boot with W10 or completely come away from Microsoft and just use a Linux distro and which distro suites me best. With Windows I only get a operating system with limited programs that come with it and others which are essential cost a great deal of money and one have to pay a annual subscrition. Whereas with Linux distro's as far as I can see they come fully loaded with programs in excess of 3,000 which you can choose from. The only thing wrong I can see with Linux distro's is command line. The command line is that it expands the amount of programs and operations at your fingertips but you have the choice of choosing a distro like Mint where command line is there should need to use it but for the ordinary PC user it is insignificant I so far have needed to use it twice in three years and found it fairly easy after a little help from Urmas.
Also which ever distro one chooses there is so much help out there on the net to assist the new user and it is all free.
The main problem is that most PC when bought new come with ether Windows or Mac already loaded and many people who buy a PC do not realise that actually there is a great choice out there and get get stuck with an expensive operating system which is heavy on resources (Mac less so) and subsequently and also all the adverts and other unwanted rubbish the PC manufactures put on your new PC.
Having said all that more and more people are changing over to a Linux distro like me who have got fed up with the expense and the limitations of running a Windows PC / Mac PC and therefore perhaps we should be supporting more those people.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
@bootneck02 You missed out one very important reason for adopting linux or any open source operating system or program and that is freedom.
Imagine if the alphabet was closed source and you could only use it if you paid the licence holder. An if you wrote anything without a alphabet licence you were thrown in prison or fined heavily. The limits that situation would impose on folk is unimaginable.

:cool:

Reaction score
Yes I forgot to write that Abarbarian, yes it does give you freedom without the cost and you can move from one to another distro at no cost until you find the one that suits you. I originally tried Ubuntu but did not like it, I suppose that is the beauty of Linux distro's that are so many out there you have a grate choice and at no cost so you can try any of them until you find one right for you.:thumb::user::thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Yes I forgot to write that Abarbarian, yes it does give you freedom without the cost and you can move from one to another distro at no cost until you find the one that suits you. I originally tried Ubuntu but did not like it, I suppose that is the beauty of Linux distro's that are so many out there you have a grate choice and at no cost so you can try any of them until you find one right for you.:thumb::user::thumb:

Hmmm my point was not about the financial cost though the nil financial outlay to try out linux or open source is very useful to many folk. That aspect helps out folk in not so well of countries who otherwise would not be able to join the new age.
My point is about freedom. Imagine if one person owned the rights to beer making and they decided to only make one sort of beer world wide. If you like beer that would be awful. Monopolies in many cases cause all sorts of misery and troubles and also just by existing stifle innovation and development.:cool:

Reaction score
Oh I see what you mean, I know that in China most PC's operating systems are Linux distro's which ones I am not sure.

Reaction score
Thinking about my reason and possibly others too was partially financial but mainly I was running 8.1 and Microsoft forced Windows 10 on me without a bye your leave. I had built my PC from scratch and purchased Windows 8.1 and they had the audacity with my knowledge or permission forced W10 without my knowledge on me. It was then that I looked for an alternative. I have to admit that finance was part of the decision because a lot of the security and other programs I had on the PC were up for renewell that was the other turning point. I did try Ubuntu quite a nice distro then I tried Linux Mint 17 and although I was not sure I found it better than Ubuntu, visually and practically although was not sure. Since I have kept on using I got used to it and preferred it to W10 and it gave me freedom which I had not felt with Microsoft. Now using Linux Mint 18.1 what a difference a great distro both visually and the choice of apps, and the cost nil except for the donations I send to Mint for development which is my choice. The support is first class if you need it again free from the Linux forum support pages etc. In 2 years I have had to use command line twice not difficult any one with a little or no knowledge can do that and if not sure Linux Mint forum will help. After my experience with Microsoft and Linux I will stay with Linux Mint.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Reaction score
What is happening to all the ideas that were put forward on this subject as things have gone quiet on this thread.:confused:

Ask a Question