Suggestions for the future of PC Review

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thank you for all of the feedback, I'm hoping to start work on another post tomorrow or Friday once I've looked in to a few things. If you've got any more suggestions in the meantime, keep them coming.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll get the follow up post and start work on the changes next week - I'm still struggling to shift an allergic reaction, so I'm resting up quite a bit today!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks folks :). Docs apt made for Weds as I just can't shift it!

I've been thinking hard about the forum layout/categories, as it could do with a big re-arrange. Some categories like Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP we could condense in to one and use the tagging system to deal with versions.

My preliminary forum section layout looks something like this, but I'm still trying to mull over how to make it easy for new members to post a tech support question. It may be inevitable that we get some overlap, but I'd like to make it easier that it is at the moment to post a new thread. Even though many of the changes haven't even taken place yet, PCR has really picked up this past week thanks to all the members here :).

Here's the forum layout I'm considering, but I'd be very interested in hearing feedback on it - as I'm sure it can be improved!:

Community

General Discussion
Introductions
For Sale / Wanted / Deals

Computing

Tech Support
Hardware
Software
Gaming
Windows (tags for each edition)
Linux
Security, Spyware and Viruses
Microsoft Office (as we get a lot of Office related questions, these can be tagged as Excel, Access, etc...)
Coding

Tech

Mobile Devices
Photography
Audio / Video

PC Review

Announcements
News Editions
Crunchers Corner
Feedback
Article Discussion
User Reviews

Reaction score
If you provide Help or are a Matter Expert you get a badge.
But this might make some people badge collectors over others or contribute but dont get a badge.

You could add a Star a bit like in McDonald's, the more you can offer the more stars.

Admin would get 5*
Moderator 4* or 5*
Matter Expert up to 4*
Time spent as a Member 1*

But at the end it goes back to badge collectors or now stars.
How do you make everyone an equal with others being more equal than others?

Reaction score
Hi TexasDrill welcome to PCR do please participate all contributions welcome, nice to have you aboard:thumb::nod::nod:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
but I'm still trying to mull over how to make it easy for new members to post a tech support question.

Would it be worth having a forum category purely for new members in which they could post any question they like. This would save them having to work out which category to post in and, with time, they would eventually get to know the system and post in the dedicated forums. The mods could then transfer the post to the appropriate forum later.

I can clearly remember when I first joined not quite knowing where to post and feeling a bit of a dope. It can be offputting and may discourage new members.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Would it be worth having a forum category purely for new members in which they could post any question they like. This would save them having to work out which category to post in and, with time, they would eventually get to know the system and post in the dedicated forums. The mods could then transfer the post to the appropriate forum later.

I can clearly remember when I first joined not quite knowing where to post and feeling a bit of a dope. It can be offputting and may discourage new members.

A very good shout! This is something I did think about - a "Help Me! Technical Support" section where anything can be posted and then we can move it to the correct place. The only reason I didn't do that is that the new forum section layout should hopefully make things much easier. Previously there were several sections where a thread could go (particularly for something like an Excel question), now it should be much easier. If members struggle or a lot of things end up in the General Discussion section, I'll add one and see how it goes :).

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
As PCR sometimes attracts new members who live overseas, in other time zones, might it be helpful to display a forum clock? If the newcomer happens to be a few hours behind the UK, they might be less likely to feel their question is being ignored, when in reality, we are all sleeping. :sleep: ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd never even thought about that TC! I know that the old software we used had the time on it at the bottom of each page. I'll see if there's a way I can show this is the member timezone ≠ GMT.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
yeah, it'd be nice to bring back GMT now we've left the EU ... that EUST, or whatever, confused me. :rolleyes:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I'd like more Linux but I don't think anybody here is a real Linux expert, though Urmas is certainly knowledgeable in that field.

Oi I'm a reaL LINUX EXPERT. I can tell an Emperor from a King even in a blizzard. :p

If I can think of anything for this thread I'll post later as I am just catching up today.

Whats wrong with post counts ??? I find they generally let you know if a user is a knowledgeable sort especially on a site like this. You do get exceptions though.:fool:

I'll post some penguin stuff at some time as I am likely to be laid up for a while and am sick of the tv and have run out of videos and internet is too slow to stream and I'm bored out of me tiny mind here.

:user:

Reaction score
Oh poor Abarbarian get well soon, I have downloaded Mint Cinnamon 18 6464 bit. I like it a lot. Get well soon, what distro do you run?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
It would be really nice to have a sticky in the Linux forum devoted to information useful to new penguins.
It is a given that Linux usage is on the rise. You only have to look at modern phones, car automation and things like the IoT to see that linux is everywhere and extending into every corner of life. If you want the site to be as popular in the future as it is now then hooking up to the penguin bandwagon would be a very good move.

I found this thread here,

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/newcomers-to-linux-an-administrator-guide.2207447/

Which has a outdated link in the first post but gives an excellent link in post 4, which is not very helpful to a new user. Also the title may put new users of as they may think the information is above their pay grade.

I found this excellent resource today

https://training.linuxfoundation.or...administration-training/introduction-to-linux

[QUOTE]Audience

This class is designed for people who have little or no prior experience with Linux or Unix. System administrators, developers, architects, decision makers or new Linux users can all benefit from the content covered in this class, especially if they are looking to work with more involved topics such as Linux system administration, network management and enterprise system architecture.
[/QUOTE]

So I am asking for a dedicated sticky thread similar to the one we had running for Windows sort of like a mini wiki of very useful links and information mainly aimed at new users.

:cool:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I like that idea @Abarbarian - are you happy to construct one that I could sticky? I only know the basics about Linux, so if you or one of the other Linux gurus on here can put something together, I'll pin it to the top of the Linux forum :).

Ask a Question