Suggestion to the group for dealing with Babyaware

John Corliss

Since either A.A. Fussy (Anthony Sullivan of the Gold Coast in
Queensland, Australia) or some other troll keeps posting links to
"Babyaware" in this group and starting threads that waste peoples' time,
it might be a good idea if we developed a standard protocol for dealing
with such posts. We could do something like posting a standard reply
with "Babyaware alert" as the subject line. The message body of the
reply could simply be something like:
______________________________________
This software is poorly written junk that you are well advised to steer
clear of. Information about the individual who is responsible for making
and promoting this poor software is here:

http://www.teknidermy.com/issue/11/babyafied/

Please scroll down the page and read the comments, those by Doreen
especially.
______________________________________

or perhaps a link to another information page on the Pricelessware site
along the lines of what Susan did with the Huntersoftware ripoff:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/Huntersoft.php

if Susan or somebody else would be willing to create such a page.

Just a suggestion, but Fussy has been pushing his crapware here long
enough and it makes the group look really bad.

badgolferman

John said:
[...]

I'm no fan of A.A. Fussy, but doesn't his software qualify as freeware?
I thought that was the prerequisite for whatever gets pushed in this
group in the first place. Let the potential user determine if it is
any good. Your suggestion sounds like regulation to me.

ceed

I'm no fan of A.A. Fussy, but doesn't his software qualify as freeware?
I thought that was the prerequisite for whatever gets pushed in this
group in the first place. Let the potential user determine if it is
any good. Your suggestion sounds like regulation to me.

I also hate regulation. However, I hate trolling too. I am quite sure a
lot of the postings about bWare comes from the author himself. It's this
kind of obscured self promotion I just don't like. But then again, I also
find it funny for some reason: This guy is like the Energizer Bunny of
Crapware and he is all over this group all the time. I have to admire the
staying power. He has more of it than you find in your average Usenet troll

If we want to find a way to stop it I do not think we get around the fact
that this stuff is free, but is it "ware"? Hardly... :)

El Gee

[...]

What about making some changes to the FAQ stating that people who are
advertising their own software have to meet pre-reqs of some sort.
While I support young programmers, I abhor troll-ish like activity.

Just a thought.

El Gee // www.mistergeek.com <><
Know Christ, Know Peace - No Christ, No Peace
Remove .yourhat to reply

filthy-mcnasty

Using at least one appendage, the entity known in this space-time continuum
What about making some changes to the FAQ stating that people who are
advertising their own software have to meet pre-reqs

Nice idea, but I don't see how it would actually stop anything. These rats
don't care what we think. What about just "plonking" any post with "babya"
in the header? Not really ideal if someone comes up with, say, "BabyApps"
as a Software House name, or similar. It's a bugger, but unmoderated groups
are stuck with the scumware pedlars

Or have I missed something?

badgolferman

I also hate regulation. However, I hate trolling too. I am quite sure
a lot of the postings about bWare comes from the author himself.
It's this kind of obscured self promotion I just don't like. But
then again, I also find it funny for some reason: This guy is like
the Energizer Bunny of Crapware and he is all over this group all
the time. I have to admire the staying power. He has more of it than
you find in your average Usenet troll

If we want to find a way to stop it I do not think we get around the
fact that this stuff is free, but is it "ware"? Hardly... :)

Wouldn't posting "Babyaware Alert" in the subject header as has been
suggested qualify as trolling activity? I don't think there's anything
wrong with replying to the original post and stating your experience
with his crappy software, but trying to prevent him from offering up
his creations with the method offered by J.C. doesn't seem right to me.
That said, I'm sure those who have been engaging in that activity will
continue to do so. J.C. is just trying to organize a coordinated
effort to drive him away.

me

Nice idea, but I don't see how it would actually stop
anything. These rats don't care what we think. What about
just "plonking" any post with "babya" in the header? Not
really ideal if someone comes up with, say, "BabyApps" as a
Software House name, or similar. It's a bugger, but
unmoderated groups are stuck with the scumware pedlars

Or have I missed something?

Rule, e.g., "\bbabya\b" takes care of babyApps.
One problem remains, however: innocent newcomers might be misled
and actually try some bSh*tware.

aafuss

narcippias, who's recently posted links to my software, isn't
assoviated with me at all.

wald

<snip>

Simplest solution is to simply ignore him/them, that's what
killfiles were made for.

Hardest part is to convince everybody to actually do this.

Regards,
Wald

Mel

[...]

If their are messages you don't want to view in this unmoderated public
newsgroup, then filters may be an option for you. The 12 or so
troll-like reply posts to every Bxxxxx post leaves me wondering who the
troll(s) actually is(are). All the Bxxxxx bashing replies are more
disruptive to the group than the Bxxxxx post itself. I don't have any
first hand experience with Bxxxxx products, but even though it is $0, I
would still apply the universal rule Buyer Beware. When an author is
recommending their own software I give their recommendation alot less
weight than a recommendation coming from a satisfied user.

Vic Dura

Wouldn't posting "Babyaware Alert" in the subject header as has been
suggested qualify as trolling activity? I don't think there's anything
wrong with replying to the original post and stating your experience
with his crappy software, but trying to prevent him from offering up
his creations with the method offered by J.C. doesn't seem right to me.

I aggree with this. I've never tried his software and probably won't,
but I don't have a problem just ignoring his posts. It may be poorly
written, but it's still freeware.

Susan Bugher

John said:
Since either A.A. Fussy (Anthony Sullivan of the Gold Coast in
Queensland, Australia) or some other troll keeps posting links to
"Babyaware" in this group and starting threads that waste peoples' time,
it might be a good idea if we developed a standard protocol for dealing
with such posts.

I see only 20-30 recent posts from aafuss (AA says he is not "narcippias"). That's hardly a flood. .
.. OTOH. . .

AA's posts inevitably draw replies and the replies lead to questions about the quality of his
programs. ISTM there's a simple way for the group to provide answers to those questions.

We have a spot for posting user reviews - the ACF wiki:

http://www.markcarter.me.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?AcfWiki

Quite a few people in ACF have tried AA's apps and posted reviews in ACF. Some of those reviews
could be added to the ACF wiki under "Freeware Information" "Other topics" "Reviews of AA Fussy
programs" (or something similar).

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://www.google.com.gr/groups?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware&hl=en

John Corliss

aafuss said:
narcippias, who's recently posted links to my software, isn't
assoviated with me at all.

Thanks for finally saying this. Perhaps I have been a little too harsh.
Frankly though, you're missing your calling. You should get into
advertising. The flowery prose you use to describe your programs shows
me that you definitely have a flair for it.

elaich

What about just "plonking" any post with "babya"
in the header?

Did it long ago. Just wondering the other day if Fussy was still around. I
see he is by this thread.

Seriously, just plonk Fussy and "babya" and forget about him. He gets way
too much attention.

trout

If their are messages you don't want to view in this unmoderated
public newsgroup, then filters may be an option for you. The 12 or so
troll-like reply posts to every Bxxxxx post leaves me wondering who
the troll(s) actually is(are). All the Bxxxxx bashing replies are more
disruptive to the group than the Bxxxxx post itself. I don't have any
first hand experience with Bxxxxx products, but even though it is $0,
I would still apply the universal rule Buyer Beware. When an author is
recommending their own software I give their recommendation alot less
weight than a recommendation coming from a satisfied user.

The entire lack of disclosure of his authorship of the
sites/programs that he ("Fussy") interminally promotes *is* trollish
behaviour. The fact that he has so often morphed is enough to complete
the definition, for me.
Out of morbid curiosity, I've, at various times, downloaded a few of
the programs, and have found them varying between mediocre, and utter
crap. But that's of secondary importance.
As a newsgroup reader, I *do* like to be informed, on all of these
counts, when reading such posts for the first time. Perhaps, a word-for
word iteration of JC's C&P would be too much of an exercise in
Groupthink for the liking of some; but I'd not object to some form of
warning being attached to those threads.
If anything, a 'standardized' response might curb those disruptive,
troll-like replies that you mention. Myself; I think any such
auto-response should be perhaps more brief, consise, and objective.
Of course, an appropriate subject line addition *should* be agreed
upon, for those that would like to filter the reply posts. While
"Babyaware alert" may strike some as too pejorative, I find it quite
apt, considering the posting history.
I'd also be happy to see the practice removed, should Mr. Sullivan
confine himself with *one* posting name/address, and routinely disclose
his associations with each post.

El Gee

Seriously, just plonk Fussy and "babya" and forget about him. He gets
way too much attention.

Agreed :)

Vic Dura said:
I aggree with this. I've never tried his software and probably won't,
but I don't have a problem just ignoring his posts. It may be poorly
written, but it's still freeware.

Same here, I tried one once to see what all the AA fuss was about,
but it didn't work.

Lets not forget that there's plenty of commercial software that's badly
written too --- perhaps he should be applying for a job with Microsoft...

The fewer replies there are, for those not interested, the easier to ignore
or plonk. Of course if he starts to recommend his software in the guise
of a satisfied user, then that's a different matter.

Regards,

Mel.