Styles in Word 2010

Steve Hayes

I'm still having problems with styles in Word 2010.

I'm editing a .doc file in Word 2010, and it has a style in it called "Body
Text", but I cannot change paragraphs to that style if they are not in it
already.

It offers me hundreds of useless stles like "Subtle Emphasis" andf "Intense
Emphasis", which are not in the document and I don't want in the document even
if I knew what they were.

But when I try to convert a parahraph to "Body Text", it changes it to "Book
Title".

When I mark a bit of text that is already in "Body Text", and ask it to "save
as a new quick style", it won't let me, telling me that there is already a
style called "Body Text"|.

How can I get it to show me that style, and then use it?

Stefan Blom

I find that the Apply Styles pane (Ctrl+Shift+S) is the easiest way when I
am applying styles in Word 2007/2010. Just type in a style name and press
Enter.

Save as a new quick style means that you are creating a new style, so you
can't select the name of a built-in style.

Steve Hayes

I find that the Apply Styles pane (Ctrl+Shift+S) is the easiest way when I
am applying styles in Word 2007/2010. Just type in a style name and press
Enter.

Save as a new quick style means that you are creating a new style, so you
can't select the name of a built-in style.

Aye, but the "Apply Styles" pane won't let me select "Body Text" and doesn't
show it, even though it is in the document.

Stefan Blom

But you can type in the style name. Make sure that that "AutoComplete style
names" is selected.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Body Text is a built-in style and should certainly be listed. If the Style
pane is set to show All Styles and list them alphabetically, it should be
easy enough to find it (and also add it to the Quick Style gallery).

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
But you can type in the style name. Make sure that that "AutoComplete style
names" is selected.

Stefan Blom

True. But note that I was discussing the *Apply Styles* pane here (not the
*Styles* pane).