Stupid Girl Question

Reaction score
Right people, the woman next to me at work, who is usually fairly sensible and intelligent has asked me potentially the stupidest questions i've ever heard!!

The question is.......

"Do text messages weigh anything" - i.e. will your phone weigh more with a full inbox as opposed to an empty one.

I have said no, a quite emphatic no at that. However, I don't think she's convinced and she wants to go to a lab and try it out.

Anyone technical out there than can help me to poo poo her idiotic question?

Thanks!! :lol:

Reaction score
bodhi said:
Right people, the woman next to me at work, who is usually fairly sensible and intelligent has asked me potentially the stupidest questions i've ever heard!!

The question is.......

"Do text messages weigh anything" - i.e. will your phone weigh more with a full inbox as opposed to an empty one.

I have said no, a quite emphatic no at that. However, I don't think she's convinced and she wants to go to a lab and try it out.

Anyone technical out there than can help me to poo poo her idiotic question?

Thanks!!
laughingsmiley.gif

ROTFPMSLOL:lol: :lol::lol::lol:Shyte now I spilt my coffee :lol:

Reaction score
I had to read your post a few times bodhi to check it was for real!:eek:
No idea what the answer is, have you googled it?
Would be a great pub quiz question!:p

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Are you sure ! Won't all that extra electricity keeping the text messages alive weigh something ??

:p:D

Reaction score
I googled it and nothing came up, so i told her that she's the only person in the world ever that has thought of something so ridiculous!! haha.

Any more takers on this? lol.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i doubt it as the memory is going to have an electrical charge running through it constantly

Reaction score
She's not blonde.

Her response to that was "tell them i've got a degree from the London School of Economics and an MBA.....so shut up" haha. She's finding your responses funny too.

Reaction score
"tell them i've got a degree from the London School of Economics and an MBA.....so shut up"
That explains it all, surely someone so well educated would be able to find the answer themselves!
Instead they get bodhi to do it for them, i think it's called delegation & taught on the MBA.:p

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
The answer is no

and why ??

The memory card consists of many mini-transistors to store information. How the information is stored is in patterns of 0s and 1s. So, regardless of what you put into the memory card, the mass doesn't change because whatever you need to keep the information is already stored inside it. No mass is added to the memory card. Its just a switch between 0 and 1.

A capacitor is made out of two conductive parts with an insulating barrier in between. To charge it, you remove some electrons from one side and put them into the other side.

The memory card will contain the same amount of electrons no matter if and what data you store on it. The data is represented by bunches of electrons that are shifted a couple of nanometers.

Rush ..head of rock ..stoke Uni :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Ha I was just about to say the same thing...:D
nod.gif

Crazylegs..Head of colouring in...London Suburb Primary School..:D :lol:

Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Crazylegs..Head of colouring in...London Suburb Primary School..:D
laughingsmiley.gif
Oh why is their always someone else better at colouring than me!:lol:
Looks like it's back to the dot to dot books for me.:wave:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
By Feckit
Looks like it's back to the dot to dot books for me

ah ha my friend then the book will be heavier when its completed :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Ah now then, she is right ...

A phone, or any device that can store text, will weigh heavier than it did before, however, you'll need a very sensitive weighing scales to prove the point ... something that can weigh the atom will do ... so, coming from London and being economic in MBA is as daft as a brush.

One oxygen atom weighs as much as sixteen hydrogens. :nod:

:thumb:

Reaction score
bodhi said:
She's not blonde.

Her response to that was "tell them i've got a degree from the London School of Economics and an MBA.....so shut up" haha. She's finding your responses funny too.

My other half comes up with some seriously daft questions at times, but this one just takes the cake..I feel the need just to develope a website for that question alone..Having a degree means feck all, I have 2 and a PHD

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
My other half comes up with some seriously daft questions at times, but this one just takes the cake..I feel the need just to develope a website for that question alone..Having a degree means feck all, I have 2 and a PHD

Whoops!!!!!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Rush has explained it quite eloquently :thumb:

Everything you're looking at right now is made up of 0's and 1's and it will still weigh the same at the end of everyday regardless of how much of your hard disk is full. I've worked at a place named Ashridge Management College where individuals study for mba's, some even manage to gain one.

My somewhat neutral observation of this clique is they consider themselves superior to most human beings yet unsurprisingly lack what us inferior beings tag 'common sense' :)

They also have appalling table manners.

Chinless wonders the lot of 'em.....

Only joking, only joking..... ;)

Reaction score
My answer is simple, i suggest you do the following?
0101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010:lol:

Reaction score
Dammit Feckit you placed one Binary character wrong

;)

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
I don't know...
Ecconomics did you say?
I 'spect she's dicussing pretty weighty issues on that phone of hers!

:lol:

Ask a Question