Stupid Girl Question Number 2

Reaction score
Right, we've decided to make it a weekly thing. Every Friday at work, the woman next to me is going to ask me a question that she's been thinking about, and it's likely to be stupid!! Thought you lot might be able to either answer, or get amusement from these.

OK, today's wondering is..............

"When her twins would wake up in the middle of the night crying, she was worried that the noise would disturb their neighbours as the twins room shared a wall with the neighbours house. So when she heard them crying she would run up and open their bedroom door, as she believed the door being open would allow the noise to escape the room out of the door, as opposed to through the wall"

Thoughts?? :lol:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
That would certainly help if the twins were sleepwalkers.

happywave.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's not too daft a question ;) I'm sure if there are any acoustic engineers here, then they will know much more (Flops might too). :thumb:

There may be a slight reduction in noise levels, as when the sound is emitted, some of it will bounce off where the door is and rebound to hit the adjoining wall. But because of the way sound travels (and rebounds) it won't be as loud as the sound waves that hit it initially - so the overall impact in volume reduction will be small. I'd hazard a guess that it would be such a small change you wouldn't notice it though. :)

Reaction score
Not a daft question at all..And she is right in doing what she did..Keeping the sound contained will stop it from taveling, therefore it would be in the same area and might disturb the neighbours.. Opening the door will allow the sound to dissipate (travel, scatter) therefore not be contained in the same area and not disturb the neighbours....

Reaction score
psd99 said:
I meant do you hate this woman?

No, not at all. Why do you think that? I get on well with her, just thought i'd brighten up your Fridays with her silly thoughts.

Yeah, today's one isn't that silly, i thought it would make the noise disperse more and be quieter, but didn't really know for sure.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
It would lessen the volume but the neighbours would still be able to hear it..

If you had your Hifi on loud and you had a door open in the room it wouldn't stop your neighbours from complaining would it..

Plain daft question innit..:p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ian and Madx are right :thumb:

I have twin daughters and they were very vocal as babies.

I found gaffa tape to be a good solution :)

What's she look like, this woman?

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
If she was that concerned then swap bedrooms !! or give me reasons why she cannot ?, are her neighbours young/old ?? are they vocal/quiet ??

Last edited:

Ask a Question