Struggling with WiFi

Reaction score
I am still struggling with my WiFi set-up:
Router is Zyxel 2602HW with the latest firmware (just updated)
My desktop is using a Linksys antenna; my laptop uses a BenQ USB-link. Both computers are on XP Pro SP2 and have identical settings for networking.
After the firmware change (recommended by the ADSL provider), the laptop works perfect; the desktop has real problems getting on-line. What happens is that although it tells me that the signal is very good, it does not get an IP-address from the network and thus does not function. Just leave it for anywhere between 5 and 30 minutes and all of a sudden, it will get an IP-address and work, for some time. Some time, because without any apparent reason, it loses the connection and seems to have lost its IP-address again. But, after 5 to 30 minutes, it will come back ....
Because it always gets the same IP-address (192.168.1.35) anyway, I have tried entering that in the settings instead of having it assigned by the router. That seemed to work: it showed me that I am then connected, but that is not really useful as I cannot get to the internet that way.
I have no idea what to do/check next: the settings must be OK, as otherwise I would not get a connection ever and the laptop is doing OK.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
I replaced the Linksys wireless card and the problem disappeared.
Conclusion: hardware problem! Rare, but ... it happens.

Ask a Question