Strange problem with Officejet D135

Lars

Hi group,

I post on behalf of a good friend. He has this HP Officejet D135 that
is abt 4 years old.

6 months ago he replaced the printheads and the ink cartridges and
everything was fine. Now suddenly when printing whatever all comes out
as blue/magenta. Even when printing a plain black text there is no
black printed at all.

Ink cartridges indicate 40 - 60% full in each. There are no error
messages or codes. Normal indications when printing.

The printer is run through a router and accessed by 4 different
computers all running Windows XP.

He says the printer is used quite regularly, and two young teenageers,
each with their own computers, I do not think there is any risk of
nozzles drying up due to not being used.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Lars
Stockholm

William R. Walsh

Hi!
6 months ago he replaced the printheads and the ink cartridges and
everything was fine. Now suddenly when printing whatever all comes
out as blue/magenta. Even when printing a plain black text there is no
black printed at all.
Any suggestions much appreciated.

Make a copy on the unit and see what happens then. Copying is controlled
within the unit itself. If copies have the same problem, then either the
cartridges are really bad, not making good contact or there is a problem
with the controlling hardware inside the unit itself.

If copies don't come out properly, power down and unplug the unit from
everything for a few minutes. It may simply be confused.

William

Lars

Make a copy on the unit and see what happens then.

OK, will do. Good thinking.
I will post back here when I know how it turns out.

Thank you!

Lars
Stockholm

Bob Headrick

"William R. Walsh" <[email protected]>
wrote in message [original poster said:]
Make a copy on the unit and see what happens then. Copying is controlled
within the unit itself. If copies have the same problem, then either the
cartridges are really bad, not making good contact or there is a problem
with the controlling hardware inside the unit itself.

If copies don't come out properly, power down and unplug the unit from
everything for a few minutes. It may simply be confused.

The copies will almost certainly have the same problem. It sounds like the
yellow and black printheads have ingested air. Try running a few cleaning
cycles to prime the printheads.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Lars

The copies will almost certainly have the same problem. It sounds like the
yellow and black printheads have ingested air.

You are quite right. I mailed my friend an Excel spreadsheet where I
had set up some cells in different colors, and asked him to print it.

They all came out fine except the all black one.

Now he told me that when he fitted the new cartridges, 6 months ago,
"a piece of plastic tape" fell off the black cartridge, leaving a
match thick hole open. Only several weeks later did he re-cover that
hole with some sticky tape.

Obviously air entered the cartridge at that time, and later "hit the
fan" so to say. He will buy a new one.

Thanks for all suggestions!

It hit me how often it is that friends, whom I have helped many times
with their various computer problems, withhold those parts of the
story where they have messed up themselves.

Lars
Stockholm