Storm Fried Box

Reaction score
Hey guys

Sorry i haven't been around in a long while, i have pretty much been living with my girlfriend for the past 2 months... well not quite but spending every spare second with her. And police training. And work. Hectic!

Anyway... my next door neighbours internet seems to have died.

It died during a storm on Tuesday, and hasnt worked since. I have tried resetting it and reconfiguring it and all manner of things but the internet light will not come on. Its a US Robotics 1 port ADSL Router with Wireless.

When the box is plugged into the phone line, there is noise when you listen on the phone... like a hissing. this stops when you unplug a router. All microfilters are in place.

I plugged in an older Netgear modem router and it works a treat, with no line noise.

Am i correct in thinking the modem in the USR box is fried?

I cant come to any other conclusion :S !

Thanks all

Chris

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Am i correct in thinking the modem in the USR box is fried?

Welcome back :thumb:

Sounds like it Chris, a power surge has probably fried the USR box. Did any other electricals of his get damaged in any way in the storm?

Reaction score
Well i was talking to her today and she mentioned something about her main PC yelling "CATASTROPHIC ERROR" to her through the speakers and then shutting down... but that seems to have sorted itself out as it appears to work OK again.

I'll order her a Netgear wireless modem router combo with a surge plug if you guys think it's as fried as a KFC

And thank-you :)

Reaction score
Surge protector looks brilliant :D

Word of warning though for those particular Netgear routers: Connecting them on XP, fine. Connect on Vista though, and its a real b*tch. Happened to me twice with the newer, wireless Netgear router (a slightly different model to the one you posted on 2 very similar laptops). The story of it all is posted on the forums somewhere :D. In the end, it was a problem that only the Netgear tech support people could fix over the phone...

So yes, by all means go ahead with them since their good little things, but just be prepared for slips if connect the router to a vista laptop :D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Hiya Chris - great to see you mate
nod.gif

Looks like you are having a very busy time with all that going on - hows the police training going, is it still with the Specials or have you ditched Uni and joined the regulars :D

Are you back home now for the summer? - if so fancy meeting up for a drink down our way?

That router was def fried - good choice with the new one/surge protector :thumb:

Reaction score
Hey Ady

Good to have some time to be back - the Missus has gone to Norwich for the weekend she is a Viking re-enactor :)

I am back home now, finished uni on the 18th May and am around in Hants really until the end of September.

Still the specials - 300 mile round trip to Cambridgeshire every sunday, means getting up at 4:30am to get ready, polish my boots and be in Cambridge for 8:15 to pick up fellow officers and then be in Huntingdon for 9:00!

I pass out at the end of next month... I may look into a transfer to Hampshire Constabulary to perhaps work out of Whitehill/Alton as thats my local area and i know it well.

Just finished my Officer Safety Training - that was good fun!

If i could have a place in the regs guaranteed, I'd ditch uni tomorrow!

Muppet me put my pocket notebook through the wash the other day though... oops!! Have to see what Niton have to offer in the way of water proof pouches!

Drink sounds good - you thinkingjust us 2 or a PCR southerners thing?

I'll get the router and surge socket ordered - thanks for confirming my suspicions!!

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
A long way to go to work Chris, probably would be best to look to transfer down to Hants - but don't jack in your studies to join the regulars, plenty of time for that when you've finished.

Wasn't really thinking of a planned event as such, something local - but anyone is welcome to join in if they live nearby :thumb:

Reaction score
I think there is only a paper transfer involved... i'm not too sure. But im at uni in Cambridge so there will be a fair amount of travelling either way!

Local sounds good :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Good point about the travel - I suppose it depends where you spend most time over the whole year.

PM on way :thumb:

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi Chris

Great to hear that uni, specials and life generally is going very well for you. I would echo the words of advice re: not quitting studies. Accelerated progression with any HO force is a real possibility with a relevant degree. If you want some inside info on where to go for some of your Police accessories, let me know.

I was once again in the High Court in Cambridge recently and had a good walk around the town one warm sunny Sunday evening. I stayed in the De Vere/Cambridge Arms. It was really nice and I would recommend it to others and no where near as expensive as some of the other central Cambridge hotels. Dead handy for where I needed to be :)

Love

Gabs xx

Ask a Question