STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by Cliff, Sep 18, 2009.

  1. Cliff

    Cliff Guest

    I (my wife actually) first received the following after doing some sort of
    update, she is vague on that.

    STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)
    The windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a
    status of 0xc0000135 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
    The system has been shut down.

    I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 (laptop). It originally came with XP Home, but
    later upgraded to XP Pro, and have used the Pro exclusively for about 2 years.

    PC has NAV 2009 installed. The pc is kept up to date with updates.

    About a year ago I obtained a larger hard disk, cloned and have been using
    that, so I do have an ancient backup.

    I first used my XP Home reinstallation (as I couldn't find my Pro Reinstall)
    to boot from CD, access the Recovery console and did a Chkdsk repair
    (repaired a few sectors) and fixboot utility. That did not help.

    I obtained an XP Pro reinstall disk, accessed the recovery console, booted
    from reinstall cd and did same (chkdsk fixboot). Still same fatal error.

    Tried booting to Safe mode with command prompt - same error.

    As I experience this, and read, it would seem reasonable that the recovery
    console steps would be ineffective as the problem lies further all.

    If I use the XP PRO reinstall to install the OS, I think I will retain my
    data and other installed programs. What say you on that thought?

    I see in some of the exchanges here the thought of copying data off.
    Can I do that with the Reinstall / Recovery mode?

    Reflecting on the prior drive, I had gotten a cms device to clone
    previously. Have to find that. I suppose if I swap drives, and put the
    'fatal' in the cms, I could get my (spouse's) files off. Does that appear
    to be a reasonable method?

    Would that be a safer method (swap, get files off) and swap back then
    reinstall OS on the 'fatal' drive.

    Then if that fails, wipe the drive, clone back the old drive (with the files
    copied off) ?

    Thank you in advance for your assistance,

    Cliff

    Cliff, Sep 18, 2009

  2. Cliff

    Rich Barry Guest

    Re: c000021a (Fatal System Error)

    Cliff, if you do a Repair Install it will not overwrite you data.
    Hopefully. But check out this interesting thread

    http://www.msghelp.net/showthread.php?tid=66202&page=4

    Rich Barry, Sep 18, 2009

  3. Cliff

    Richard Guest

    Re: c000021a (Fatal System Error)

    Hi Cliff,

    Your message is over a week old and I don't see any replies. Did you find
    assistance in another forum, and if not do you still need assistance here?

    The idea to swap drives so you can copy your Valued Data is what you should
    do, whether you continue trying to fix the error, or wipe the slate clean
    and start fresh. It would help if you could narrow down what "sort of
    update" was done, whether Windows update, an application's update, or update
    of personal data. Maybe a website popup, (real or bogus,) advising to update
    your Flash Player, or other addons? The Windows update on the 2nd Tuesday of
    the month would have been 10 days or less before the date of your message
    here. What day did the problem first begin? Have you checked the Dell
    website for material on your problem? You might try the Drivers and
    Downloads page, enter your Service Tag, and in the dropdown choice box,
    select Diagnostic.

    http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx

    Some Dell computers have three or more partitions including:
    A hidden Dell utility partition, the main operating system partition,
    and a hidden Dell restore partition. Press F12 or F2 as computer starts.

    Do you have GoBack (Norton) installed on your computer?
    If yes go here and read this article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316503

    How to troubleshoot a STOP 0xC000021A error
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156669/

    How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/

    Advanced troubleshooting for general startup problems in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308041/

    You may lose data or program settings after reinstalling,
    repairing, or upgrading Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312369/

    | 0xC000021A: STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED
    | This occurs when Windows switches into kernel mode and a user-mode
    | subsystem, such as Winlogon or the Client Server Runtime Subsystem
    | (CSRSS), is compromised. Security can no longer be guaranteed. Because
    | Win XP can't run without Winlogon or CSRSS, this is one of the few
    | situations where the failure of a user-mode service can cause the system
    | to stop responding. This Stop message also can occur as a result of
    | malware infestation or when the computer is restarted after a system
    | administrator has modified permissions so that the SYSTEM account no
    | longer has adequate permissions to access system files and folders.

    Internet Explorer Maintenance Policies May Cause an Access Violation
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/318666/

    | 0xC0000135: UNABLE_TO_LOCATE_DLL
    | Windows attempted to load a DLL file and encountered some error
    | condition. Among the many possible causes are that the file is
    | missing or damaged, or that there is Registry corruption.

    Blue Screen STOP Message C0000135 Appears at Startup Win NT 3.51, 4.0
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/173309/
    Damaged Registry Repair & Recovery in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/318159/

    HTH. (Hope This Helps. :)
    --Richard

    - - -
    [Thread began: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 04:30:01 -0700]
    > "Cliff" <> wrote in message
    >
    > I (my wife actually) first received the following after doing some sort of
    > update, she is vague on that.
    >
    > STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)
    > The windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a
    > status of 0xc0000135 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
    > The system has been shut down.
    >
    > I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 (laptop). It originally came with XP Home,
    > but later upgraded to XP Pro, and have used the Pro exclusively for
    > about 2 years.
    >
    > PC has NAV 2009 installed. The pc is kept up to date with updates.
    >
    > About a year ago I obtained a larger hard disk, cloned and have been using
    > that, so I do have an ancient backup.
    >
    > I first used my XP Home reinstallation (as I couldn't find my Pro
    > Reinstall) to boot from CD, access the Recovery console and did a Chkdsk
    > repair (repaired a few sectors) and fixboot utility. That did not help.
    >
    > I obtained an XP Pro reinstall disk, accessed the recovery console,
    > booted from reinstall cd and did same (chkdsk fixboot).
    > Still same fatal error.
    >
    > Tried booting to Safe mode with command prompt - same error.
    >
    > As I experience this, and read, it would seem reasonable that the recovery
    > console steps would be ineffective as the problem lies further all.
    >
    > If I use the XP PRO reinstall to install the OS, I think I will retain my
    > data and other installed programs. What say you on that thought?
    >
    > I see in some of the exchanges here the thought of copying data off.
    > Can I do that with the Reinstall / Recovery mode?
    >
    > Reflecting on the prior drive, I had gotten a cms device to clone
    > previously. Have to find that. I suppose if I swap drives, and put the
    > 'fatal' in the cms, I could get my (spouse's) files off. Does that
    > appear to be a reasonable method?
    >
    > Would that be a safer method (swap, get files off) and swap back then
    > reinstall OS on the 'fatal' drive.
    >
    > Then if that fails, wipe the drive, clone back the old drive (with the
    > files copied off) ?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your assistance,
    >
    > Cliff

    - - -

    Richard, Sep 26, 2009