STOP:c000021a {Fatal System Error}

G

Greetings,

I am experiencing the following problem on a Windows 2000 Professional pc with SP4 installed.
I was installing a remote camera viewer, was prompted to close the applications. I closed the apps and the OS rebooted. Upon reboot, I got the blue screen of death after the windows splash screen . The following error was listed:
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly
With a stastus of 0x00000080 (0x00000000 0x00000000)
The system has been shut down.

I saw many knowledge base entries and google entries with similar problems in NT or XP, but none seem to apply or remedy my situation.

I attempted Safe Mode -- No luck.
I attempted the Last Good Configuartion -- No luck.
I attempted to use the Windows 2000 install disk and repair. -- No luck.
I do not have an Emergency Repair Disk nor do I know how to create one. I do have 5 other machines with similar configurations. Can I create a disk from one of those?
Will a parallel install allow me access to my data?
Should I put the hard drive in another pc and move data and reinstall everything? Microsoft #330314 says it may be an issue with the NTDLL.dll. Can I replace this dll with the dll from another machine?

Thank you in advance for you help!
Brian

G

I resolved the problem with the assistance of MS KB#330314.
Even though the article referred to NT4, I replaced MSVCRT.dll with the dll from another machine. Now I can boot my machine and all seems well. Now I have a new question: Is my machine stable or will I have future problems based on this quick fix? I just reloaded the machine about a month ago and do not want to spend another day or 2 unless I have to.

Thanks!

----- brian s. wrote: -----

Greetings,

I am experiencing the following problem on a Windows 2000 Professional pc with SP4 installed.
I was installing a remote camera viewer, was prompted to close the applications. I closed the apps and the OS rebooted. Upon reboot, I got the blue screen of death after the windows splash screen . The following error was listed:
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly
With a stastus of 0x00000080 (0x00000000 0x00000000)
The system has been shut down.

I saw many knowledge base entries and google entries with similar problems in NT or XP, but none seem to apply or remedy my situation.

I attempted Safe Mode -- No luck.
I attempted the Last Good Configuartion -- No luck.
I attempted to use the Windows 2000 install disk and repair. -- No luck.
I do not have an Emergency Repair Disk nor do I know how to create one. I do have 5 other machines with similar configurations. Can I create a disk from one of those?
Will a parallel install allow me access to my data?
Should I put the hard drive in another pc and move data and reinstall everything? Microsoft #330314 says it may be an issue with the NTDLL.dll. Can I replace this dll with the dll from another machine?

Thank you in advance for you help!
Brian

Ask a Question