STOP: 0x0000007E - can you help?

Reaction score
Hello -

I've been having this problem for a while now - I've searched the web but can't find anything to help me. My PC (Windows XP) will often (3 times a day-ish) freeze, and then issue a Blue Screen of Death. The codes are:

STOP: 0X0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF8796C0C, 0xF7ECC75C, 0xF7ECC458)

ushub.sys - Address F8796C0C base at F8792000, Datestamp 4149f255

I think the problem only happens when I'm on the net (AOL broadband using a BT Voyager 105 modem). It seems to be particularly likely to happen if I start a second activity, such as starting P2P software or downloading pics from my digital camera.

Any advice would be appreciated - I have very limited PC knowledge, so please be gentle with me. If anymore information would be useful please let me know.

Kind regards
Chris

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
welcome to PCReview

Your clue is in this line;
ushub.sys - Address F8796C0C base at F8792000, Datestamp 4149f255

... and I think should read usbhub.sys

AOL & BT just love to use USB for their modems ... one day they will learn.

How many USB devices are you using?

Reaction score
Thanks both. My keyboard and modem are both permanently contacted via USB ports. I use my spare port on the front for either my iPod or my camera's card reader.

I reinstalled my modem drivers this morning from the disc that came with it (didn't fix the problem) - maybe I should look to see if there are any newer ones available?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
open up device manager, right click 'my computer'> properties> hardware tab> device manager

are there any yellow exclamation marks?

Reaction score
No yellow exclamation marks. The only oddity is a red cross next to one of my network adaptors - ADMtek AN983 10/100Mbps PCI Adapter. Not sure what this is - my old dial-up modem? Should I uninstall?

I do have a yellow exclamation mark against an icon which appears in the bottom right corner of my taskbar. When I double click on it it tells me that my Local Area Connection 2 Status has 'limited or no connectivity'. Could this be related to my problem?

Thanks for your time.

muckshifter

Reaction score
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=327863

Your problem is with USB ... the ADMtek AN983 10/100Mbps is an 'Ethernet' connection, the red x means its disabled ... Ethernet is what AOHEL & BT should be using for their modems

Go to Windows update site, use the 'custom' button and see if there are any drivers to download.

Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
open up device manager, right click 'my computer'> properties> hardware tab> device manager

are there any yellow exclamation marks?
when I open the device manager,i have a yellow exclamation mark next to: C-Media AC97 Audio Device and I have no sound.I tryed just about everthing. Can anyone help me. Please reply to (email removed for your own interst; Mucks) Thanks!

EDIT
Please start a new thread : Mucks

muckshifter

Reaction score
Blue screen of death said:
Hmmm... No useful updates from Windows. Have tried searching for a new ADMtek AN983 10/100Mbps driver, but can't find anything.
The red x in device mangler means 'you' have disabled it ... forget it for now.

Your problem is USB, and the error message says so.

Ask your ISP to upgrade your modem to a 205 ... it uses Ethernet, which is what they should be using in the first place ... then we'll sort your ethernet card out.

;)

Reaction score
I've enabled my ethernet thing now for what it's worth.

I don't think the AOL modem upgrade is an option they offer, unfortunately. Thanks anyway.

When I open my Network Connections under 'LAN or High-Speed 'Internet' I have two icons. The first Local Area Connection has the ADMtek AN983 as the device name and 'Network cable unplugged, Firewalled' as the status. The second Local Area Connection has GlobeSpan USB ADSL LAN Modem as the device name (no idea what this is) and 'Limited ot no connectivity, Firewalled' as the status.

Noeither of these two give me much confidence for a stable internet connection!

Reaction score
I dont know if you have done this already, but my 1st move would be to totally uninstall any and all connections, modem drivers, AOL software and/or any other ISP software (the 2 connections make me think that there may have been a previous install that is conflicting with the current one) and start again.(I assume you are on AOL as you mention it)

But before re-installing,the modem, check your PC for problems in the device manager (as mentioned any question marks etc) also, Its difficult to troubleshoot without knowing a few more bits of information, how old is the computer? Its a remote possibilty if its an older machine that you just are not getting enough power to the USB sockets. When you reinstall, remove all other USB devices that you dont need (printers scanners etc) and try that.

Ask a Question