Windows Vista Sticking with XP in a Vista World

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Obviously, I spend a lot of time working with beta software. If you're envious of that for some reason, consider this little slice of "grass is always greener" logic: Sometimes I wish my PCs just worked. Sometimes I wish I just used my computers as the tools that they are, and didn't have to spend so much time installing, reinstalling, and fixing problems. From my side of the fence, your lawn is looking pretty darned good too.

What I'm getting at is that the Next Big Thing isn't always a given. Sure, Windows Vista is cool, sort of, and it's got some neat new functionality. But what would you say if I told you that the vast majority of new end user features in Windows Vista were already available to you--most of them for free, no less--in Windows XP? And that by skipping Windows Vista, at least for the time being, you'd be left with a PC that was faster, more compatible with the software and hardware you own, and just about as capable as an otherwise identical PC running Windows Vista?

Well, that's exactly what I'm telling you. No, you can't get the Windows Aero user experience without Vista, though I suspect the wizards over at Stardock will get pretty close. But do you really need Aero, along with its annoying incompatibilities, many of which result in sudden and jarring jumps into the Windows Basic interface? And no, most of Windows Vista's security features aren't available to XP users either, but you know what? You might not need them either, especially if your system is adequately defended with a hardware firewall and a good security software suite.

I'm talking about pure end user goodness here. Applications that are supposed to make people want Windows Vista. Things like the Windows Sidebar, Windows Calendar, Windows Photo Gallery, and Windows Media Player 11. These and other Vista-specific applications are really neat, but you can get identical or nearly identical applications on Windows XP too. And by doing so, you can eek some more time out of your XP investment, save up for a future Vista PC, or just avoid all the headaches that go along with upgrading to a new Windows version. Sure, you've waited 5 years for Windows Vista, but so what? Will another 6 months or a year be a problem? Really?

If you'd like to stick with Windows XP for a while longer, here's some good news. You don't need Windows Vista. And as I'll describe in the next section, there are plenty of excellent solutions out there that will make you forget all about Redmond's next operating system. At least for a little while.
Well worth a read ... no holds barred.
nod.gif

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_xp_apps.asp

user.gif

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Thats it Muck's you tell-em...

Good post mate.....Hope it opens a few eyes...:nod:

Ask a Question