'Static on the line' when using my digital phone while connected to the net

Reaction score
Hello,
Wonder if anyone can help me out with a problem that I have been having for the past few months?
When I switch my PC on (it doesnt even have to be connected via broadband to the net) and use my digital phone at the same time I get Static on the line' (BT's technical term), constant hiss, crackle etc.
On ringing BT they tested the line for me and tell me that there was no fault on the line and the fault lay with my internet provider, I rang Orange who told me that it was the fault of BT... So, I changed my internet provider and am still getting the same problem.
I have .:
had new filters - still the same problem
Had a brand new modem - still the same problem
Changed my digital phone to an analogue phone - still the same problem
Changed the extension that I use to extend my connection from downstairs to upstairs - still the same problem
Please, I would be grateful for any other suggestions.

Reaction score
I would ring BT via the Operator and report a fault on your line that way, probably the Line Card at the exchange is screwed, same with my line at present.

Now i work in BroadBand so i know how difficult it is to get BT to do something, as they constantly reject our diagnostics, but if your persistant, and explain to them the issue and request a Engineer to do a site visit then it should fix your issue.

If and when they agree to get an Engineer sent out, when he arrives, ask him to plug his Test Equipment into the Line Card for your line at the exchange, and run tests from there, should pickup the faults your currently reporting.

Good Luck ;)

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the reply, I have approached BT regarding the issue, they are more than willing to send out an engineer but the problem is this, if they do not find a fault and find its an issue with my equipment they will charge me £160 for the call out.

Reaction score
Is that what they quoted you :blush:

Blimey, that's a bit expensive, i never got charged for my multiple callouts, they did however threaten me with charges if they didn't find a fault, but then again, they visited, found a potential fault, fixed it, but still didn't fix the Static on the line, so i told them they aren't charging me anything.

You tried using the Test Socket under the BT Master Socket faceplate to test the line?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... Changed the extension that I use to extend my connection from downstairs to upstairs ...
That caught my eye ... are you using an RJ11 cable?

user.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
cImrie said:
Yeah but then he said, still the same issue ;)
Sorry, but what is the same??

A standard BT extension uses the outer two wires to carry the signal ... on RJ11 it is the two inner wires that carry the signal.

I remember how Dial-Up would not work very well if you did not use an RJ11 cable (most ISPs gave you one) ... BT still uses wires, not fiber-optic

amazing how many internet connections I fixed by getting them to change the cable ... still, may not work for line hiss though.

user.gif

Reaction score
Line hiss, and crackling is normally caused by the BT Line Card, as it struggles to filter between ADSL and POTS, becuase of the condition of the line, normally it cant handle it.

Same thing happens here, i can hear faint ADSL noise on the phone, i have tried many types of wires to no avail, and this guys issue sounds exactly the same, but unfortunately, BT never normally pay attention, but their quick enough to take the money off of you.

Just hold tight, and ring them daily, normally works for me, there again, i normally force BT to action requests due to my Position in ADSL Support.

Ask a Question