ISP or not ISP that is the question?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hello

We're sorry you're having a problem with your broadband service. Our engineering team is investigating it for you. If we need to visit your home or ask you to do any more checks, we'll let you know.

To find out how we're getting on, go to bt.com/faults. You can also change your contact details here.

Thanks for choosing BT

Best wishes,
Warren Buckley
Managing Director, Customer Service
I really am a nice guy, but anyone know what the prison term is for shooting all BT emplyees?

I'm at my wits end ... no cable, or the alternative ISPs use the same BT equipment I'm having problems with ... catch 22.

:cry:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I had a BT Broadband letter through the door yesterday

They were positively gushing about there broadband speeds and service..
Problem is I know them of old and it went straight into the BIN :rolleyes:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I really am a nice guy, but anyone know what the prison term is for shooting all BT emplyees?

Pre meditated you would see the better part of 8 years inside. You could use your age and go for diminished responsibility and probably get 2 years in Broadmoor, but as it would be under a mental health act. You might serve life :lol:

Please don't ban me for been cheeky

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Just go ahead and do it anyway, Mucks. :D

We'll all come and visit.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
We absolutely loathe BT too, having had problems with them in the past. They seem to have lost the ability to communicate inter-departmentally. CS make promises which never seem to filter through to the rest of the 'dis-organisation.'

I take the point about having to use a BT line, no matter which ISP you choose, but imho the ISPs are sometimes more successful at getting BT's rear-into-gear than the 'ordinary' customer.

As for shooting 'em..? Nah... not worth dignifying them with the publicity they'd get. :rolleyes: :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Told ya, told ya, told ya :p

I've disliked, nee hated BT with a passion since the mid seventies, I have had nothing but badness from them. Trouble is, they still think they're a monopoly and to a certain extent they are.

My landline packed up last week, it had probably been faulty for some time as I only use it for Broadband and the very occasional fax. Oddly, my broadband service still worked ok during that time. Took 'em two days to sort it. I rent the line from Zen, incidentally, who charge less for line rental than BT. Zen were on the ball during the repair, chasing BT and keeping me informed on progress, or lack of progress as may be ;)

My local BT exchange is also archaic, I pay for 15Mb download speed but my exchange can only offer about 9Mb at best, its usually active at 8.5Mb.

Reaction score
When we moved to Ulcombe the we went on to BT (we had been Virgin at our old place) and I got finaly connected we got .3 of a mega pip took about10 min to download a email absolutely useless. They then wanted to charge me 3 months line bill for the disconnection I told them signal not fit for purpose see you in court, no charges:lol:I am now with Vfast a wireless internet provider and I get 8 to 10 mps, it is expensive but worth it.But now BT are talking about putting fibre to our local village switch box in the next couple of years so I expect the village as a whole will go to BT so Vfast will disappear!! BUGGER:cry::cry::eek:

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
I had a call-back from O2, I had asked for one as I use their mobile service and have never had a problem, I just wanted to see if they also use BTs gear, they, unfortunately, do.

Master Floppyness, I may just damn well take them up and save the £1 just to see if they can get an Openreach engineer to enter my local exchange. I'd like to be on the door as he entered.

Oh, and BT are putting fibre optrex into my exchange this month, that's December 2012. :lol:

Will see what engineer #6 does on Monday, Tuesday I may go to O2. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
This is one reason we are switching to fibre-optic Internet in the new year.
We are one of the last houses on the local exchange so get a poor signal strength.
For a one off payment of £50 and an extra £12.50 a month it's well worth it just to have a quicker connection speed.

Have been told they can boost the signal, but virgin & talk-talk said that and it did bugger all to the speed!

Hope you get it sorted Mucks quickly.
And sorry but murder even in mitigating circumstances will get you locked up for 20 years!!!

muckshifter

Reaction score
Feckit, you do know there is fibre optic and then there is fibre optic ... NTL, in my day, supplied the fibre optic cable right to the modem, you then plugged your RJ45 into it & your PC ... BT, and all them that use their equipment, only get fibre optic to them "fibreoprexboxes" (most here in S'port are underground) and then use the same line we use anyway.

Also, you have a similar restriction as you have with 'ordinary broadband', that being, how far away from this box is your house. I believe it's something like 1,000mtrs or you may as well post a 2nd class letter. :lol:

Nice here by the sea. :cheers:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
20 years for murder? I read the average bird done for topping someone is around 8 years. The sentence may be for 20 years but the reality is mostly always less.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
This is one reason we are switching to fibre-optic Internet in the new year.
We are one of the last houses on the local exchange so get a poor signal strength.
For a one off payment of £50 and an extra £12.50 a month it's well worth it just to have a quicker connection speed.
You mean your a long way from the exchange. ;)

Who is that with? Chances are it will still use BTW fibre.

Feckit, you do know there is fibre optic and then there is fibre optic ... NTL, in my day, supplied the fibre optic cable right to the modem, you then plugged your RJ45 into it & your PC ... BT, and all them that use their equipment, only get fibre optic to them "fibreoprexboxes" (most here in S'port are underground) and then use the same line we use anyway.
NTL, Telewest and Virgin is, was and always has been fibre to the cab and coax to the premises.

The only 'true' fibre to the premises is BT's FTTP and the soon to be released 'Fibre on Demand' :)

Also, you have a similar restriction as you have with 'ordinary broadband', that being, how far away from this box is your house. I believe it's something like 1,000mtrs or you may as well post a 2nd class letter. :lol:
That may hold some truth on the old 8c profile, But on the 17a profile that is in use at the moment even a km away will see much better speeds via FTTC than with ADSL/ADSL2+ With the new 30a profile it will be even better. ;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
so, engineer called again today, same one I had last time, so he said he would go to the exchange and put me on a new line. :lol:

took an hour, back up-n-running @ 20.2Mbps & 25ping, not bad, a bit of an improvement, maybe he got the little elusive devil that was bugging me.

Time will tell. :)

Ask a Question