Startup Items Under Startup Tab in MSCONFIG

G

I have recovered from the Trojan Horse virus about 3 times now. However, while I am up and running fine, when I ran the MSCONFIG utility, I noticed some startup items that are listed that really shouldn't be in there. I know that the startup items come from the startup group, win.ini (load= and run=), and from the registry. I'm really not sure how to get some of the items out of startup. For example, when my system boots up, it launches a window that shows me the windows system32 folder and its files. I am assuming that this is coming from the item c:\windows\system32; however, I don't know where to go to get rid of it. Additionally, there items such as program files\sqwire\uc.exe that shouldn't be there. Also, there are the following items: windows\system32\ghlowh.exe and omkhxjgp.exe that I know were files that were deleted as a result of running a system scan in norton anti-virus and getting rid of infected files. These files no longer exist and I don't want them in the startup items either. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated as I am at my wits end.

W

Wesley Vogel

Bigfoot;
StartMan Startup Manager by PCForrest
http://www.pt.lu/comnet/desc/startman.html

I've been using this since Windows 98.
Read the instructions. Or at least, "Getting Started."
StartMan can help with the System32 Folder problem, if you
aren't comfortable going into the Registry.
Even if you are comfortable, this is quicker.
Gets rid of orphans also.

[An orphan is a startup item that has a non-existent target file.
How do they occur?
How do I avoid creating orphans when uninstalling software?
How should I deal with orphans? Do I have to delete orphans?]
=====================
System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...port/kb/articles/q170/0/86.asp&NoWebContent=1

Ask a Question